LIMES for Corona/NOLA

BettyB2

We will be going on our first cruise together in 12 days and I have ordered Carnivals Corona pkg to be delivered to room when we arrive. WIll there be limes with them? Does anyone know?

Also, plane is landing at 2pm in NO and I was told by TA that Carnival said that we would be to the ship in plenty of time (9 others of our group of 40 will also be on this plane)...- Is there a place in port where I can buy soda, beer and water before I get on the ship? I would prefer to buy there than to have to carry on plane. Thanks again.

This site has been a great help:)

The ship will be docked right next to Riverwalk, which is a 3 story mall type complex. You can go there to buy some things, or go across the street to one of the small stores which sell 6 packs of sodas, etc. Best bet is to have the cab driver stop on the way in and let you run into a store and grab things you need. There are quite a few on Canal Street before you get to the dock.

Not sure about limes in your Corona pkg, but surely they'll have them? I think I'd pack a few, just in case - (they're tiny, won't take up much room).:D

About buying at the port: Inside the terminal, there's a Coke machine and a snack machine. That's it.

I'm from N.O. and embarassed that I didn't know this, but....someone recently said there's a little grocery store a coupla blocks from the pier. If you buy beer there, better take an extra piece of luggage to smuggle it in with your other checked luggage - can't hand-carry it on. (You CAN hand-carry the water - as well as soft drinks.)

Check out the store Cotton's talking about, as you will NOT find any good deals in the Riverwalk. I forgot to pack Cokes for my husband on our last cruise, and I went into the Rivewalk only to find that cans of coke at the little pharmacy there were 89 cents each plus tax. I returned to the cruise terminal and bought him 5 Cokes at the machine for 75 cents each instead.

THANKS so much for the help. I will pack limes, but my MAIN concern is whether anyone thinks I may not have time to pick up some thinks before we get on ship. I arrive at airport at 2pm...there will be 9 other people from our group also on this plane and think Carnival picks us up? Not sure. may pack some soda and water in NY when I leave here. will the soda be okay?

You will have to play it by ear and see what time you get downtown. On the Sensation 2 weeks ago they said you HAD to be on board by 3:30 at the latest - and it will take you about 45 minutes to get to the cruise port from the airport, taking traffic into account. As long as your flight is on time and you are picked up promptly, you SHOULD have time for a really quick stop. I'm getting nervous just thinking about it ;)

Don't bother bringing limes with you. You will need a knife to cut them and either have to bring a knife in checked luggage or get one from the restaurant.

If limes do not come with your Corona just go to any bar and ask for some, i'm sure they will be most happy to oblige.

yst

Hi,

I ordered the Corona pack in November. We had the Coronoa's with a hat, mug and in a insulated bag. If that's the same one you're getting, no, there are no limes. You'll have to bring your own. The steward will put it on ice for you when your room is set up.

Since all airlines now have a weight restriction on how much you can bring-taking water and soda onboard is a little too much weight. I would wait til you got there and ask your driver to stop at a local supermarket.

(dont you know if carnival is picking yopu up or not in their shuttle??)

If you are taking their shuttle you wont be stopping to pick up sodas.

Thanks everyone...I suppose I will play it by ear. ANd since Carnival is picking around 9 of us up they probably wont stop. I just really wanted my water and gingerale.....Will ask bartender for limes . thanks again.

hooked on this site.:)

It may be worth it for everyone to chip in for a cab once you arrive at the pier and two or three of you hit the supermarket before you check in.

A better idea might be for one of you to grab an empty cab at the pier, take an empty suitcase and fill everyones order in one shot. Atleast you will know if you have enough time.

A better idea might be for one of you to grab an empty cab at the pier, take an empty suitcase and fill everyones order in one shot. Atleast you will know if you have enough time.

If my luggage is dropped off at pier how can I add another suitcase if the prter already loads it? If we have time will probably do this, definitely need water, soda water and diet coke. thanks again. they sell LIQUOR at the supermarket?

Porters work for tips, not Homeland Security. As long as it has a luggage tag with cabin number on it there shouldn't be an issue.

Even if you have no time, while it will take away from your shore time, there are stores on the islands.

For water, you might also consider one of the water bottle/filter combinations. You shold be able to find at a local sporting goods store.

This is just an example of one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002OQCZ6/qid=1108059427/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl200/002-3892789-6744012?v=glance&s=sporting-goods&n=507846

Don't know the answer to the liquor - but - I woud not carry it on - would put it in checked,locked luggage. If not at the corner store, there would be liquor for sale in the area, just not sure of the closest location.

thanks everyone..I guess I will just carry a 6pk of water and soda in my carryon and worry about the rest later. AFter all the excitement I probably will want to get right on the ship instead of shopping, I havent been off ths site in weeks and now....this is what I have become ..a CRUISEHEAD!!!!!!

CANT WAIT and am already picking my next ship.....want to leave out of Flordida (cheaper airfare for us) it is $916 for both of us to NO and Florida would be less than $200ea round trip.

thanks again

If my luggage is dropped off at pier how can I add another suitcase if the prter already loads it? If we have time will probably do this, definitely need water, soda water and diet coke. thanks again. they sell LIQUOR at the supermarket?

I guess if you give the porters your empty suitcase and hop in a cab without it they will deliver an empty bag to your room. I can't believe i missed this, thanks for pointing it out.

I'm fairly certain that that's the corner store we stopped in near the pier in NOLA. Yes, they had water, soda, and liquor - prices a bit higher than at a grocery store, but lower than on board ship!

Because we spent a few days in NOLA before the cruise - we bought soda in a 12-pack at a drug store on Bourbon St. the night before our cruise. Much more economical.

When we sailed on the Pride I brought vodka and tonic in my luggage. I would just get a few lime wedges in a cup from a bartender to bring back to the cabin. I wouldn't be surprised if your cabin steward would get them for you if you asked.

Pardon my flippant answer. It seemed obvious to me that you would not give the porter a bag you intended to fill after arrival at the port. As this leap of faith was too great I’ll give a more careful description of what I was suggesting.

From your post I concluded your group is using the cruise lines transfer to take you from the airport to the pier. The transfer shuttle will not stop along the way for you to buy beverages. As such you must make other arrangements.

When my wife and I cruise we usually bring water and soda along. As it is heavy we prefer to buy it in port before we embark. When we arrive the day before a cruise, going to the store is not an issue. When we arrive the same day we simply ask the cabby to stop along the way to the pier. As you are booked on a transfer this is not an option for you.

I find lugging a case of beverages onto the ship to be a bit of a hassle. As such we bring a collapsible cooler with us. It does two things, we fill it with our newly purchased beverages and check it so it is delivered to our cabin and we can keep cold beverages on ice to enjoy at our pleasure.

If you want to walk out of the pier after you arrive and buy beverages then carry them back, please knock yourself out. I simply suggested that one of your group could hop in any of the numerous cabs at the pier which are empty after dropping off. For a few dollars you will save yourself a lot of work and probably some time.

I hope you have a great cruise. It is a shame you don’t have time to spend a night in New Orleans, it is a great city. We have close friends who live on the north shore of lake Pontchartrain, just a few minutes from the causeway bridge. When we sailed on the Conquest we spent the night at their house. They dropped us off and pick us up so we were very lucky, we were able to do all these small pre-cruise things with great ease.

yst

we were hoping to spend time in NO, but took over this booking over from a sick friend and his wife. Around 12 of our friends will be in NO before us and I may ask one of them to pick me up soda/water before they get on.

thanks for all the help

Archived