Hill at Mahagany Bay

PinkJellyFish06

Can anyone tell me about the big HILL at Mahagany Bay? I will be there in September and some people in our group can not walk long distances or up too steep of hills. Is there any other way to get to the top besides walking? I have heard about the chair lift that takes you to the beach, is this at the same spot? We have not booked an excursion yet because most of them require you to meet at the top of this hill. Any information would be appreciated!! Thanks : )

Can anyone tell me about the big HILL at Mahagany Bay? I will be there in September and some people in our group can not walk long distances or up too steep of hills. Is there any other way to get to the top besides walking? I have heard about the chair lift that takes you to the beach, is this at the same spot? We have not booked an excursion yet because most of them require you to meet at the top of this hill. Any information would be appreciated!! Thanks : )

This thread may shed some light and pictures or links to pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1200632&highlight=hill+mahogany+bay

In post #4's picture, the chair lift is to your right just out of sight. The hill in question is to your left behind the roofs of the buildings on the left.

i would recommend people with mobility issues using the cabs or ship excursions which leave from the port area. However, as you can see just getting off the ship to the port area is a bit of a climb.

I can't remember if I came across it here or on YouTube, but there are some videos of the hill out there. Some people have said you may be able to get a cab to the talk or special arrangements for people with disabilities to be picked up just outside the gate.

I am confused, do you need to ride the chairlift to get up to the "village" or down to the beach or both?

No. the chair lift is to the beach from the "village"--shopping area. If you look at the photos in the threads linked above, you'll see a Fat Tuesdays, the chair lift is just to the right across from FTs. you'll see a wide widing walkway that leads from the pier to the shopping area. You have to walk that. And you can also walk as easily to the beach as you can take the chair lift.

We just were at Roatan and took a tour with Victor Bodden. Since it was not a Carnival excursion, we had to walk the "hill." When we met up with our guide, we were told that if we had made prior arrangements, only one person would have to walk the hill to meet up with the guide who would then have been allowed to drive to the taxi stand area (closer to the port and on the other side of the hill) to pick up those with mobility issues. We didn't know that in advance and had my 89 year old mother and an 82 year old friend--they made it but would have preferred to be picked up. We noticed that the Carnival excursions were being picked up in that taxi stand/rental car area. If you are planning an independent excursion, confirm that they will let you do that.

Archived