Quebec???? HELP

Will be on Norwegian Jewel with stop in Quebec. I can't seem to find any suggestions on excursions in Quebec. Norwegian Jewel has an excursion that includes Montegomery Falls (spelled wrong) and all of old town etc. but it is 7.5 hours long and husband and I do not want to be off and on bus for that long. I have looked on roll call and can't find much info. We want to see as much in Quebec as we can because we are not sure if we will get to visit again. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations on private tours, etc.:confused:

We visited Quebec City a couple of years ago and stayed for a few days just outside the old city walls. The old city and the waterfront is easily walkable and you should be able to amuse yourself without paying for an excursion. There's a funicular railway that runs between Rue du Petit Champlain in the lower village and the plaze in front of the Chateau Frontenac.

We'll be cruising in on the Queen Mary in September; most of the excursions are either walking tours or trips that involve Montmorency Falls.

When we visited in 2008 I had a copy of this book with me: Exploring Old Quebec: Walking Tours of the Historic City. I think it was originally written in French and translated into english - there are some transaltion errors that are a little bothersone but we made good use of it for interesting walking tours.

PS: There are also a couple of walking tours on the frommers.com web page for Quebec city. You could print those out and take them along for some good self-guided options.

Many interesting shops and restaurants are along the Rue du Petit Champlain in the lower city and just beyond the Chateau Frontenac in the upper city.

As the others have said, there is plenty to see and do in the old town of Quebec with no need for an expensive tour. If you do a search on the Canada page of Ports of Call (look on the yellow part of the bar above the entries) you will find lots of previous posts about Quebec.

We're on the Jewel Sept 11-21st cruise to NE and Canada. I just booked a tour via NCL in Quebec City called the Historic and Modern Quebec. It is $ 54.00 and is a 2 hr tour. It's on their website under excursions.

My two cents - I've just gotten back from an extremely port intensive European cruise - excursions gone 11-12 hours many days so I truly get what you are saying about that. I also think Quebec isn't necessarily the type place you will need an excursion. Sometimes you just want a nice relaxing day and this port can provide that. Sister and I went to Quebec last year for 3 days (non cruise). Though we rented a car for the day I'd opt for walking inside the old walled city and maybe taking a cab to the falls. For me, the falls were not that spectacular but we drove up to the top (cuz I am terrified of heights and won't do a cable car up) and had a fantastic lunch sitting outside in a very pretty surrounding.

I recently was in QC on a Holland America cruise and QC is not necessarily a place where a tour is necessary. It is a lovely city and it is nice to walk around and take in the beauty. The Chateau Frontenac (SP?) offers an inexpensive tour of the hotel and its origins if that is of interest to you.

You don't need a tour at all.. we were supposed to go on Jewel to QC this year on 9/21 and had to cancel.. hated to miss QC again. Been I think 5 times? Very walkable, take the funicular up to the old upper city. If you don't feel like walking you can get carriage ride near top of funicular and Chateau Frontenac that will take you thru the old city. Beautiful churches, old buildings.. many quaint Quebecois resturants.. Ancient Canadian is our favorite and also Lapine in lower town. There isn't much good traffic flow in the old city (and really nothing to see in new part) so you will make better use of time walking than on a bus/van tour. So many neat alleyways etc. to explore!

You can wander the Old Town yourself. The fenicular is only a short walk from the ship.

If you want to see the falls take a local taxi. We got a six seater and it was inexpensive. That way you can spend as much time as you want there. There is a cablecar which takes you up to the top where you can walk the bridge over the falls. Some of the tours had only a short stop there.

I confirme, Quebec City is walkable. All old town is walkable. Also there is free electric bus running through town.

2008 was the 400 anniversary of the town. Each evening during summer time, you get a free big screen movie in the north part of the port. This movie show the history of the town.

Also, Totem show from Cirque du Soleil is very interesting. Cirque du Soleil have many shows in Las Vegas.

Sorry, I speak french and my english have many mistakes.

2008 was the 400 anniversary of the town. Each evening during summer time, you get a free big screen movie in the north part of the port. This movie show the history of the town.
That's The Image Mill. Very worthwhile if your cruise schedule allows attending.

Your English is better than my French... :)

• 3 weeks later...
I confirme, Quebec City is walkable. All old town is walkable. Also there is free electric bus running through town.

Also, Totem show from Cirque du Soleil is very interesting. Cirque du Soleil have many shows in Las Vegas.

Sorry, I speak french and my english have many mistakes.

Where is the closest stop for the free electric bus in the area of the cruise ship pier? Is there a route map for this electric bus?

Here's a route map.

http://www.rtcquebec.ca/HoraireTrajet/Default.aspx?page=trajet_resultat&parcoursNo=21&typehoraire=-1&date=2010-08-21&de=5&a=4

R_Ecolobus_V8.gif

I think maybe the closest stop is somewhere near the Musee de la civilisation shown on that map.

PS: I think it's $1: http://www.telegraphe.com/transports/indexen.html

Here's a route map.

http://www.rtcquebec.ca/HoraireTrajet/Default.aspx?page=trajet_resultat&parcoursNo=21&typehoraire=-1&date=2010-08-21&de=5&a=4

R_Ecolobus_V8.gif

I think maybe the closest stop is somewhere near the Musee de la civilisation shown on that map.

PS: I think it's $1: http://www.telegraphe.com/transports/indexen.html

Thanks for posting....very helpful.

Archived