deep sea fishing in st lucia

cmahm

anyone ever book thru shore tours? they have a deep sea fishing trip that's $98.pp for 4 hrs sounds like a great deal but am worried about not going thru carnival. they don't offer any fishing when we are going.

We were on Carnival Victory in March, and they offered Deep Sea Fishing at that time. At the last minute, DH decided (he is a former pro-bass fisherman) that he couldn't come all this way and not fish!

DH opted to go on the charter that Carnival offered at $140. He had 2 "opportunities" to sit in the chair, at 10 minutes each. They were actually trolling, hoping to catch something. They left the harbor at 8:45, and he was back on board the ship by 12:30.

St Lucia has a lot to offer, and of the islands we were going to see, I had determined for the time of year, other than San Juan, it was probably the best island for him to try and fish. Obviously, it isn't guaranteed, but had we known of the very limited time he would have had, he probably would not have done it. I would hate to see anyone else waste their time and their day.

If you decide to do this, I would definitely research who you are going through and what they are letting you fish for. Then research it on the web to see if the time of year you are going is a good time for that type of fishing.

BTW I went on our scheduled tour with Cosol and had a great day! :p

I wish you luck in your decision & safe travels!

Yes, but the shore tours may be different/better. I just don't think he/we would do the Carnival one again.

We did let the shore excursion desk know that he wasn't happy with the time and that no one caught a fish. Maybe they had enough complaints about the excursion it stopped contracting for that excursion. As we saw the other folks he had gone with they mentioned that they too had complained. No offer of part of the money back not even any type of a verbal apology, just a "thanks for letting us know" from the manager at the desk.

Just research it, and if you can't find someone here, try trip advisor. That's how I found the gentleman we are going tarpon fishing with in March of 2011. Like I said though the shore tours maybe a lot better! Don't let me discourage you-the time of year you go maybe better for fishing!

All the best to you! :)

Thanks so much. We will look further into it. It is something we would like to try. How did you like the victory ship? We have been on 2 Disney cruises and 1 Carnival (Sensation). After going on both we always said we would never go back on a carnival again. But a good deal came up and I really liked the look of the itinerary soooooo we are going to try it again (10/31).

Honestly-the itinerary is so busy we did not do a lot on the ship. There was not an island I would skip, even though I have read many say they would not get off at XXX port.

We didn't attend shows or activities but we ate in the MDR every night and enjoyed it for the most part (some good some not so great-but my expectations aren't high when they are feeding that many people, it can't be 5 * dining). Had great tablemates-I think Carnival is really good at finding "like" people to share your table.

We never saw any shoving cutting in line, etc as I have read, and the morning lines were not as bad as I expected (less than 5 minutes to wait for an omelet). In the afternoon the lido/sandwich shop was busy, but again not horrible. They do start breaking down around 3:30 or 4 I think to get ready to serve dinner. (I may be off on times).

I do not mean to alarm you, but the Victory goes to dry-dock on November 7. I have read on different reviews, etc that the week before dry-dock, often times the various lines start ripping up stuff before your cruise ends. I can't be sure, as I have never experienced that, but if it were me I would be checking into that...don't know how disruptive that would be, and I would want assurances.

I would hate for you to have a bad experience a second go round. IMHO I think Royal and Carnival are about the same. Considering trying Princess for Alaska. Would love Disney, but for us we'd need to rob a bank. I checked on all 4 of us in 1 room w/a balcony it was almost $8600 without airfare. I can't swing that, and have airfare and excursions in addition. I definitely want a balcony, so I have to scale back on the line. Tell me though, is it just so wonderful? I am a Disneyaholic.

Back to Victory...we did really enjoy ourselves, so much so that we are returning again in March 2011 with our kids this time. We plan to do different things on each island than we did before. I am already so excited, I don't know how I will ever make it to March!

Check on Princess though if you are concerned about Carnival, they had a great itinerary that I considered (fairly similar out of San Juan), but we are going over our kids spring break, and that itinerary is offered on the opposite weeks of their break. I swear I ramble on-I apologize.:o I hope it was helpful!

All the best to you!

1st off you don't ramble, you are very "friendly" :D. But I do love reading all you have to say, it has been very helpfiul. Anyway we are already booked for 10/31 so we will have to cross our fingers on the whole dry dock drama. As for Disney........WOW.....it is more then you could even imagine. The 1st time we went was our honeymoon (oct99). We did the 4 days parks and 3 day cruise. It was the first time I have ever been to Disney and 1st time on a cruise. It really set the bar high. We went back in 05 for a 3 day cruise in the middle of 10 days at the Disney campground. The more days you stay at Disney the cheaper it is. We are lucky enough to use my inlaws moterhome and we drive the 22hrs to get there. That time we had a 4and 2yrold with us. Where else can your son fight Captain Hook on deck at a pirate party....with fireworks!!!! And my daughter(if she wasn't so shy) could have had storytime and tea with the princess while in the kid rooms. And probably best of all was that Disney has it's own island.....with no crime, noone trying to sell you drugs like the some other islands. Instead you could feel completely safe taking kids on the island. They got to hang out with the characters and everything!!!!!! Our last cruise was the Carnival. Again just 3 days. I know it's hard for anything to compare with Disney but, the ship was dirty and the staff was not friendly.

We also are disneyaholics. We spend ALL our savings trying to take the kids there every 2-3yrs. Ourlast trip was when it was decorated for x-mas. If you haven't seen it then you MUST go. Now I am rambling .........Anyway this cruise in for our belated 10 yr annv. It will be our 1st week cruise and our 1st week away from our 3 kids. Very nervous and very excited.

Anyway I do know the prices for Disney have gone up alot but, watch for deals. Sometimes they do a kids sail for free deal. If you ever get the chance to go, take it! Chat soon Melissa from PA

If you want to fish, book with Hackshaw boats (google them)....they are a class operation with nice boats. Tell them that Marc sent you if you email them for more info. We have used them for whalewatching charters for the past 6 years. Always a great day.

Archived