Great time on the Fascination

MUDBALL

We sailed on the Fascination July 19th. We cruised to celebrate our daughter's graduation from high school. On the cruise was my wife, daughter, three of her friends, and myself. While on the cruise two of the girls (twins) celebrated their 18th birthday. I'm writing this to give my thoughts on some of the things that I have read on this web site. 1) Getting on the ship was a breeze. We stayed in Jacksonville the night before at the Fairfield Inn Orange Park. I know that may be a little far for some but I like freebies and I was using my points from Marriott for a free room. I also used Marriott points for a free cruise for one of our cabins. I was very impressed with the parts of Jacksonville that we saw. The area around our hotel and drive to Jacksonville Beach was very nice. Anyway back to getting on the ship. I've read about Jacksonville needing a new port and the rude people but the employees at the port were very nice to my family and myself. Yes we had to standing in line and go to the different stations but that's just what it take to get everyone through. I understand Carnival would like a new port so they can bring more or bigger ships in but what do you need the building to do? I think the Jaxport did a fine job in what they are there to do. My wife and I have taking a couple of cruises before so we knew what to expect but the girls were in awe of the size of the ship. 2) We booked a inside cabin knowing our last two cruises we had ocean view and spent no time looking out the window. Having a inside cabin is the way we'll book from now on. We like it being dark during the day so we could take naps as needed. I tend to need them more oftens these days. One things that I read was to take a nightlight. We did this but it didn't work out for us as the outlet in the bathroom only worked when the bathroom light was on. 3)Smoking is a big issue on the boards. I can tell you I travel alot and I can tell you when someone has been smoking in a room. I just won't stay in that room. I worried about this a great deal before the cruise but it was just no problem.I didn't have trouble anywhere on the ship that smoking was a problem. I would sit on the port side of the ship and no one would be smoking. I'm not a big club type person but I did go in some without smoke being a problem. The paino bar did smell so I stayed away. 4) The food was great, not good but great. We ate in the main dinning room every night and don't know way anyone would want to do anything else. I orders two starter every night with one being the shrimp. Tried to limit myself to one main course but on a couple of nights I had two. The prime rib was my favorite, flat iron Steak was very good. Each night would have the melting cake. I didn't think I would be one to order it every night but I did it's just that good. 4) The shows were good, not great but good. We had a brand new group of dancers and they were very good. The comedians were very good. The guy that juggles was as good as I've seen. 5) Just walked around in Key West reading the signs and shirts in the windows. In Nassau we did the city tour. We didn't plan on it but were talked into it when walking to the shops. We payed 25.00 per person and it was just ok. Not really much to see. If I would have it to do over I would not do it again even if they paid me 25.00. Also went to the straw market and the girls bought purses and learned the trade of tring to talk someone down. Sorry for the long tread but just have a lot I,m thinking about. This was a very good cruise. I just don't know what people want if they wouldn't like this cruise. When I booked this cruise a notice the prices for cruiseing in January so I booked one then for 209.00 per person. It's the Elation out of Mobile. Can't wait for it now.

Thanks for the review! I can't wait for our time on the Fascination, and excited that you thought the food was great - I love to eat!

Funny you should mention naps and inside cabins, I was just telling DH the other night maybe we should consider that - so far we've only had outside cabins, but we are more in need of naps now that we can't "party" like we used to. ;)

We were on the Fascination for the July 19th trip. The food was slow coming up from the kitchen and was only luke warm. I don't think they had the variety of dishes and desserts as I have seen on past cruises. The entertainment was pretty good but I don't think it was as good as I have seen before. I was really most disappointed in the food. Still, we had a great time.

We were on the Fascination for the July 19th trip. The food was slow coming up from the kitchen and was only luke warm. I don't think they had the variety of dishes and desserts as I have seen on past cruises. The entertainment was pretty good but I don't think it was as good as I have seen before. I was really most disappointed in the food. Still, we had a great time.

It may be I,m just easy to please I thought the food was great. We had a great time with our server. Dinner was more then just eating food for us. We didn't have to wait long on any of it. It may have been that I had two starters each night, more eating then waiting. sorry your food was not as warm as you would have liked it.

Thanks for you review. I'm counting my days till I leave.

Side note: I'm glad you enjoyed Orange Park. I'll admit that it's a bit farther then being on the Northside(where the port and the airport are) but it's a nicer area with more to do and more places to eat.

My family and I were on that sailing, and I must say I enjoyed the ship as well. A couple of glitches which I left on the comment card. We did this same ship last year "before" the changes, and I really enjoyed them, especially the new Adult Serenity Area.

My family and I were on that sailing, and I must say I enjoyed the ship as well. A couple of glitches which I left on the comment card. We did this same ship last year "before" the changes, and I really enjoyed them, especially the new Adult Serenity Area.

I thought the Adult Serenity Area would be nice but we never made it there. When spending time in the sun we would go up by the smoke stack. never crowded and had shade from smoke stack.

Thanks for the review! We are easy to please also, so I'm sure we are going to really enjoy the Fascination as well. We sail her in October and are leaving for Elation in a little over 2 weeks. Both ships offered great prices when we booked. Can't wait to experience both!

Thanks for the review! We are easy to please also, so I'm sure we are going to really enjoy the Fascination as well. We sail her in October and are leaving for Elation in a little over 2 weeks. Both ships offered great prices when we booked. Can't wait to experience both!

Have fun on the Elation. We will be sailing on her on January 24th with friends. Please let me know how you liked your cruise.

Hindsight is 20/20, but if using Marriott points for a hotel stay, there is a Courtyard at 9A-Monument Rd that is significantly closer to both the port and the Beaches.

As for a new port facility, it has to be east of Dames Point bridge in order to accomodate the larger ships.

So glad to hear all the positive comments on the Fascination. My family and I love sailing the Fascination--we've taken 3 cruises in the past two years, most recently was the end of May. All this Fascination talk makes me want to get on and book another. Love love love the Fascination!!!

Will be on her in 6 days...yay!!! We're doing the 5 day...is elegant night the first sea day? I forgot. And do they serve the bitter'n blanc dessert and french onion soup? I've heard so much about these that I'm dying to try them.

I am glad you had a good time. I was on the cruise after you and we loved it (my 11th and 3rd time on Fascination). We had some of the best service ever on this cruise. Jaxport to me had always been the easiest to get in and out of. I really hope Carnival finds a way to keep a ship here.

Thanks for the review! We will be on the Fascination four our 25th wedding anniversary cruise on August 25th. We are so excited! We have sailed out of Jacksonville three times before but this will be the first time on the Fascination.

hindsight is 20/20, but if using marriott points for a hotel stay, there is a courtyard at 9a-monument rd that is significantly closer to both the port and the beaches.

As for a new port facility, it has to be east of dames point bridge in order to accomodate the larger ships.

as you might of guessed i'm always looking for a deal. A fairfield inn takes less points and offers breakfast. And the fairfield that we stayed at was running a deal for about half the points it would usually takes. We really liked the area and it worked out great for us. It would have been nice to get into town a little earlier. The hotel was close to the dog track. We don't have any dogs tracks around us just the little horse track churchill downs. Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind for the next time if we make it back.

The hotel was close to the dog track. We don't have any dogs tracks around us just the little horse track churchill downs. Thanks for the info.

They also have a poker room there if you're interested in playing some poker.

Archived