Trying to decide which cruiseline with kids?

AnotherVirginCruiser

I would think it would depend on the ages of your child/children. For example, we took our first cruise one month after my daughter turned 2. She is not potty trained. She has a 5 year old brother. After doing my research, it was obvious to me that the cruise line for us was Carnival: they accept 2 year olds in their children's program, they don't require you to return to camp if your child needs a clean diaper (you just leave the supplies with them), they provide you with a beeper if you have a child 5 or younger, and the smallest group is 2-5 year olds, so my children were together.

While I admittedly have nothing to compare it to, we were very happy with our choice. The kids loved, loved, loved the camp (we will use it a lot more on the next cruise, particularly in the evening); we found our fellow cruisers laid-back and very nice; we enjoyed the food; loved our balcony cabin; just found it to be all-around a great experience. So much so we're seriously considering doing it again in a few months!

We've traveled extensively with our kids, from car trips to Cape Cod to our last trip before the cruise which was almost three weeks in Italy. This is the first trip I returned from that I wasn't beyond exhausted. And we did three days in Disney pre-cruise and two in Universal post-cruise (Universal was unplanned, but we got stranded by the snowstorm!)

Whatever you decide, happy cruising!!

I would think it would depend on the ages of your child/children. For example, we took our first cruise one month after my daughter turned 2. She is not potty trained. She has a 5 year old brother. After doing my research, it was obvious to me that the cruise line for us was Carnival: they accept 2 year olds in their children's program, they don't require you to return to camp if your child needs a clean diaper (you just leave the supplies with them), they provide you with a beeper if you have a child 5 or younger, and the smallest group is 2-5 year olds, so my children were together.

While I admittedly have nothing to compare it to, we were very happy with our choice. The kids loved, loved, loved the camp (we will use it a lot more on the next cruise, particularly in the evening); we found our fellow cruisers laid-back and very nice; we enjoyed the food; loved our balcony cabin; just found it to be all-around a great experience. So much so we're seriously considering doing it again in a few months!

We've traveled extensively with our kids, from car trips to Cape Cod to our last trip before the cruise which was almost three weeks in Italy. This is the first trip I returned from that I wasn't beyond exhausted. And we did three days in Disney pre-cruise and two in Universal post-cruise (Universal was unplanned, but we got stranded by the snowstorm!)

Whatever you decide, happy cruising!!

Ditto. depends on the age. Carnival accepts 2s. Under two - if you like to party you'll be hindered.

We have cruised with our children on Carnival and Holland America. We much prefered Holland America. The Carnival cruise we took was overrun with children, (0ver 500), and the ship was packed with families. There were too many people as many rooms were booked as triples and quads. There was nowhere to sit on deck, arguments over chairs, and the children's activities were so full that my kids opted out. The slide was only open twice for a total of 5 or 6 hours. Holland America still had kids, but a lot less. We are taking our kids, now teenagers, on Windstar this coming winter. Don't expect too many other kids, but we are really looking forward to the drop down water sports platform on the back of the ship and the discover scuba program.

Beth

Pudgesmom has a really good point. Our excellent experience with Carnival occurred on a seven day 1/15/05 cruise (a low season for families by all accounts.) We are looking at another cruise in early May, also (hopefully) not a time when tons of families are cruising. I imagine it's a lot like Disney World: go in late October/early November or mid-January and you are going to have a very different experience than those who are there the week between Christmas and New Years, President's week, or during July and August. When we cruised there were enough kids to keep my children company, but it was by no means crowded. Made drop off and pick up a breeze. I can't begin to imagine what that must be like with 500 children on board!!

We have been on 3 windstar cruises. There were no children on any of our cruises. The last cruise had a large family group of 12 with maybe 4 of them 17-22. Those were the only kids we have seen. They seemed happy to see volleyball at the beach in Roatan. I would suggest your kids bring something to do with them.(dvds etc.)

Do they dive? If so, that will be great for them. The sports platform did not operate too often on our last cruise. It would not open. A mechanical problem that did get fixed. They did not have a boat powerful enough to pull a water skier. They had kayaks, sail-hobies, wind surf (only if conditions were good) Out of the 7 day cruise it was available 2 - 3 times. It was scheduled for 3 days and 1 day at the beach in Roatan. The hours for the platform average 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. The watersports are subject to port regulations. Our cruise had 60 divers on it so the sports people had their hands full. We felt the sports hosts were not as friendly on the windsurf. We found the hosts on our other 2 cruises more friendly.

I am a huge fan of the Royal Caribbean's kids club. Adventure Ocean was just wonderful. My children never wanted to leave. It used to be 3 and up- but in the latest Crown and Anchor magazine it said something about 18 months and up- so, they must be doing something for the smaller children. I will get more info on it- in March when I cruise for spring break.

I just found this on another section that talks about Royal Caribbean's new kids program addition. So, I guess it is not a leave them alone type thing.

A new program for infants and toddlers 6 months to 3 years, in

partnership with toy maker Fisher-Price, will be rolled out fleetwide by

the end of March 2005. The program offers 45-minute playgroups for

children accompanied by an adult, involving storytelling, creative arts,

music and a variety of Fisher-Price learning toys and games. Aqua Babies

are six months to 18 months old while Aqua Tots are 18 months to three

years old.

cherdon,

thank you for the information on Windstar. Yes, my kids have dived. They are not certified, but I'm planning to enroll them in the Discover SCUBA program. They also like to snorkel. We have taken many family vacations and I don't feel that providing playmates for my children is an important part of seeing the world. We'll be in Costa rica, Panama and Nicaragua which should provide many opportunities for adventure as a family!

Beth

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning a 4 day Baja cruise with our 2 boys, ages 5 and 8. RCCL (Monarch) seems to have a better kids program (on paper at least). We are also looking at Carnival (Paradise). Anyone have any opinions??

One thing that also has me thinking (with both companies) is that my boys will be in different age groups. Did any of your kids mind not being together??

Archived