transferring from Picassa to Cruise Critic

I have used Picassa for a long time, and have learned to email pics. etc., but have not figured out how to post my pictures to cruise critic. Any help would be greatly appreciated Also any information on backing up my picassa photos without using all my computer space. Thanks

At the simplest level you can use manage attachements button when you reply or start a new thread. There is a limitation in the size and number of pictures you can post. I think 5 pictures and they are very small.

If you want to post the bigger pictures you need to upload your pictures to a photo sharing site and then copy the URL link to the picture here.

Backing up pictures is VERY important as harddrives and computers are known to fail at the worst possible times. In general I keep a minimum of 3 copies; one on my main computer, one on a backup USB drive at home, a seperate copy another USB drive in a place NOT at home. I backup and sncy them each time I pull pictures from my camera and erase the camera storage.

You can now buy easily a terabyte of USB type harddrive for 100-150 bucks.

Good luck

I have used Picassa for a long time, and have learned to email pics. etc., but have not figured out how to post my pictures to cruise critic. Any help would be greatly appreciated Also any information on backing up my picassa photos without using all my computer space. Thanks

Also any information on backing up my picassa photos without using all my computer space. Thanks

You can buy a 1.5TB USB drive at Costco for $130

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11470791&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|84&N=4013467&Mo=48&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=31022&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

and back up the photos to it. Any photos that you have on the picasa website will be available to you, but if you download them they may be lower resoluion than what you uploaded.

Here's a link to the introductory class that we did on this board a while ago. It includes instructions on how to set up your Picasa web albums and share images on Cruise Critic from PicasaWeb.

http://pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/Class1.htm

This is linked from my PicasaWeb albums:

Sunsets%20026.jpg

As for the backup, take the previous advice and get a big external hard drive, plug it in and use Picasa's backup utility to archive your photos. It works quite well and can be set up to first back up all your photos and after that, only add new photos or ones that have changed to the archive. That really save time.

Dave

Go to your Picasa web album and click on the picture that you want to post on CC. In the right column select size and "Image only". Click on the HTML in the bottom box (Embed image) to select it. Then click CTRL-C to copy to the clipboard.

In the reply box in CC click the Insert image icon. A box will open for you to insert the HTML code that you just copied. Click CTRL-V to paste the HTML into the box. The picture should appear in the reply box. Click Preview Post to see if it is OK. Then click Submit reply.

That is how I posted this picture of the Ruby Princess in St. Thomas:

IMG_3396_0337_edited-1.jpg

Go to your Picasa web album and click on the picture that you want to post on CC. In the right column select size and "Image only". Click on the HTML in the bottom box (Embed image) to select it. Then click CTRL-C to copy to the clipboard.

In the reply box in CC click the Insert image icon. A box will open for you to insert the HTML code that you just copied. Click CTRL-V to paste the HTML into the box. The picture should appear in the reply box. Click Preview Post to see if it is OK. Then click Submit reply.

That is how I posted this picture of the Ruby Princess in St. Thomas:

IMG_3396_0337_edited-1.jpg

Well, THAT'S new!

Thanks Judy, I'll add it to the instructions on my site. I guess I need to visit my PicasaWeb more often!

Dave

Well, THAT'S new!

Thanks Judy, I'll add it to the instructions on my site. I guess I need to visit my PicasaWeb more often!

Dave

Dave, I figured it out by trial and error. I always forget how I did it the last time so now I have it written down. :o I don't think it is really very intuitive and Picasa doesn't have specific instructions.

Dave, I figured it out by trial and error. I always forget how I did it the last time so now I have it written down. :o I don't think it is really very intuitive and Picasa doesn't have specific instructions.

You're right about the non-intuitive part!

That little "Image Only" check box is new and adding it made a HUGE difference in ease of use! They must be listening to the users!

Dave

I am still attempting to accomplish the transfer. I am unable to find the image only box, although Picasa says i have the latest updates, wonder if i really do

Be sure that you click on "Link to this photo". When you do that "Image only" will appear. Sorry I didn't mention that before but I really didn't realize that you had to do that. :o

I am still attempting to accomplish the transfer. I am unable to find the image only box, although Picasa says i have the latest updates, wonder if i really do

The dialog is not in Picasa, it is online in the Picasa Web Albums. If you have not done so already, click the green "Upload" button at the bottom of the Picasa screen and load your images to your Web Album. If you haven't already created your free online Picasa share site, it will guide you through it.

Dave

Here are my amended instructions:

Go to your Picasa Web Album online and click on the picture that you want to post on CC. Click on “Link to this photo.” In the right column, select the size that you want to post and select "Image only". Click on the HTML in the bottom box to select it. Then click CTRL-C to copy to the clipboard.

In the reply box in CC click the Insert image icon.* A small box will open for you to insert the HTML code that you just copied. Click CTRL-V to paste the HTML into the box. The picture should appear in the reply box. Click Preview Post to see if it is OK. Then click Submit reply.

*Please note that depending on your security setting, you might receive a warning message. If you do then “allow” access and click the Insert image icon again.

Judy, my thanks for the updated instructions. Also wanted to say thanks for the great pic of the Ruby. We sailed the same itinerary on her in Nov. of last year. Loved the ship, but my pics not as good as yours. Thanks again

Bob

Judy, my thanks for the updated instructions. Also wanted to say thanks for the great pic of the Ruby. We sailed the same itinerary on her in Nov. of last year. Loved the ship, but my pics not as good as yours. Thanks again

Bob

Thanks, Bob. We were on the Thanksgiving cruise and enjoyed the cruise very much, except for the heat. Looking back at the pictures I can see how beautiful it was but at the time I couldn't appreciate it so much because it was so hot and humid. I don't do heat well at all. That is one of the reasons that we keep returning to Alaska. It is cool there!

Archived