It's official....The Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act

happy cruzin

Ok....it's been signed in to law. What do you think will happen now???

I think that the people in Washington that had the time to think up, review, vote, and sign this "law" need new jobs!

I think it will be revised.

The requirement for the railing height is ridiculous.

:mad:

Agreed.......42" is absolutely crazy :mad:!!

But, I am more worried about other things being tacked on or cruise ships doing other things and saying it is "required" :eek:

Uh, Carnival's railings are 44" high. The previous regulation is 39.5 inches high. Not a big deal. The regulation is reasonable and this height actually comes from CLIA. In other words, this is the industry plan. All of the rest of the regulations will mean nothing to Carnival regulars as their ships already comply. Doc

Just to get a visual, what is the current height requirement for a railing?

This Cruise Critic article http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4007 says:

star2.bmp Cruise ship railings must be at least 42 inches (that's 3.5 feet) tall. That's slightly higher than the current international regulation of 39.5 inches, according to CLIA, but many cruise ships already meet or surpass the new requirement. Carnival Cruise Lines' railings, for example, are 44 inches above walking level; other lines that are already in the clear include Disney and NCL. Cruise lines that do need to make adjustments will have 18 months after the legislation is signed to do so. (Interestingly, the original proposal called for 4.5-foot-tall railings -- which would have required more vessels to be retrofitted.)

Uh, Carnival's railings are 44" high. The previous regulation is 39.5 inches high. Not a big deal. The regulation is reasonable and this height actually comes from CLIA. In other words, this is the industry plan. All of the rest of the regulations will mean nothing to Carnival regulars as their ships already comply. Doc

So it means squat:D

This Cruise Critic article http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4007 says:

star2.bmp Cruise ship railings must be at least 42 inches (that's 3.5 feet) tall. That's slightly higher than the current international regulation of 39.5 inches, according to CLIA, but many cruise ships already meet or surpass the new requirement. Carnival Cruise Lines' railings, for example, are 44 inches above walking level; other lines that are already in the clear include Disney and NCL. Cruise lines that do need to make adjustments will have 18 months after the legislation is signed to do so. (Interestingly, the original proposal called for 4.5-foot-tall railings -- which would have required more vessels to be retrofitted.)

Thank you. I should have just clicked on the link. My apologies for wasting your time.

I like this law. It isn't so much as the railing issue, although I am ok with as I am slightly paranoid about falling over, but more so the safe-guards for the victims of the more serious crimes.

Another worthless law with minimal consequences. I'm sure glad Washington keeps saving ourselves from ourselves :rolleyes:.

As to the railing height, can you imagine how many dollars it would cost to either put another rail on, or raise the existing by a few inches, again with minimal consequences (except spending money).

What safeguards for serious crimes, none of this will prevent it. It's just reported now - Oh Boy !!!!

As usual, Washington is wasting time and MONEY on everything except what they were sent to Washington to take care of. November is coming,,,don't forget this, and all the other "crap" they're trying to pass before then!

"SKY"

I hope it will be repealed after the November elections.

As usual, Washington is wasting time and MONEY on everything except what they were sent to Washington to take care of. November is coming,,,don't forget this, and all the other "crap" they're trying to pass before then!

"SKY"

Soon all will be righted. :D

The only real impact is to install the peepholes in the doors. Not a big deal. Most of the rest is reporting requirements. Rails already exceed the height requirements so no impact.

Archived