wine preferences

We are bringing our own bottles of favorite wine.

Our favorite red is " Seven Daughters" it is a amooth Merlot Blend. Not too dry but not sweet. It has a blend of : Merlot 51%, Cabernet Franc 17%, Cabernet Sauvignon 11%, Syrah 7%, Zinfandel 6%, Carignane 4% and Alicante Bouschet 4%. It sells for around $15 - $20 a bottle. It may be a little hard to find but you can always request your local liquor store to order some for you or you can order off of their web www.7daughters.com they also have a white blend as well. This is a wonderful wine for the price. We discovered it at a wine tasting about 2 years ago.

If you can not locate the Seven Daughters, " Coppola Zinfandel" is also an excellent choice for a red.

As far as whites, we like the " Clos Du Bois" Sauvignon Blanc. It is a crisp white that has a nice citrus aroma and again not too dry or overly sweet. It sells for around the $15 - $20 range as well.

I hope that this helps a little. Enjoy your cruise. Cari :)

i dont drink alot of wine and can never remember what i enjoyed. so i was wondering if anyone had any advise on a couple of good bottles to check into? would like to enjoy a glass in the evening while getting ready for supper. prefer bottles less than $30.

Do you have a BJ's (don't know if this also works @ Sam's)? But they put labels underneath the wines - with a description of the flavors and the ratings. That should give you a good idea. Also their prices are significantly less than most places.

If you like sweet and white - I would say a reisling would be a good choice. If you like less sweet, then chardonay. For red, I would do a Merlot - at least 5-7 years old to get rid of most of the tannin taste. Many reds you buy are designed to be laid down before you drink them, so it is important to look at the year.

I am not familiar with what wines are popular in the US so I won't name them but I will tell you what type of grapes I like. If I am just sipping wine without eating I prefer whites and I like pinot grigio or pinot gris - they are not as harsh or biting as some chardonnays, also a white zinfandel is very nice stand alone wine. As far a reds go I really like a malbec grape which is not a fruity as a merlot or as heavy as a shiraz. Or I will also go with a blend like a cabernet sauvignon or a cabernet merlot. If you are not a wine drinker I would stay away from a shiraz as it is a nice powerful wine but I feel it is better with a meal. Hope this helps - I know that you are from the US but if you go to our liquor store website you can call up types of wines and they will give you tasting notes a pairings which may help you. LCBO.ca

thanks for all the advice. it will be put to good use when i go to the liquor stores. there are a few in my area that are more geared towards wine rather than the hard stuff, so i will take this advise with me. sounds like so much to know, maybe i should check into a wine class. :)

I suggest going to a store that sells wine, Bevmo, Total Wine, etc. When you are there ask one of the sales staff you are inexperienced in wine. The salesperson will ask you about your likes and dislikes and will make a good recommendation that will be within your budget.

I started drinking Kendall-Jackson Merlot on my cruises years ago. Onboard it is about $36/bottle. But you can buy it in most liquor stores for around $20.

I also enjoy the Coppola wines as well.

I started drinking Kendall-Jackson Merlot on my cruises years ago. Onboard it is about $36/bottle. But you can buy it in most liquor stores for around $20.

I also enjoy the Coppola wines as well.

UUUMMM Thats my favorite... ( Kendall J Merlot)

2nd and 3rd are Coppola and Clos Du Bois Merlot.

If I am drinking

Chardonnay I LOVE Kendall Jackson.;)

Archived