Hotels/apartment hotels that have 2 bedrooms in Sydney

Fredr

LOL at what are doonas - they are quilts - in England they call them duvets. It was a brand name and it stuck.

I actually googled where you are staying Fred - it is suburbia. It would be quite a walk to the wharf for the ferry. Probably 25 minutes but you could drive and get a bit closer but bear in mind that the regular commuters take up the best spots.

Also you could walk to Victoria Rd and catch a bus into the city. Campingman was absolutely right about Sydney Rowing Club - Sydney's best kept secret (it is our local). He was also right about not driving into the city. - even if you can handle the traffic you will pay a fortune for parking

Anyway if you have 3 days you could try the ferry and the bus.

Hello,

Another question...

In the USA thee are car rental offices all over that serve locals. Your family car is being serviced so you get a replacement at a local Hertz, Budget, Avis or Enterprise office for as long as you need the rental.

My idea is just to rent a car for the days we will go outside Sydney to the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley and other places.

Are there car rental offices in Drummoyne?

And a special thanks for telling me/website about the Sydney Rowing Club.

Fred

The closest rental outlet would be Hertz in Five Dock 3.5K from your apartment. HERE.

Best place for a choice of restaurants would be Crown St Surry Hills, there are 31 restaurants along there with most ethnic cuisines available. It is easy to drive there and you dont have to go through the city.

Yarramar,

Thanks,

Do you need any help with Venice?

Fred

I'm actually having trouble working out what would be the best transport pass/package to get. We are in Venice for 3 nights, 1 on board and 2 in a hotel near St Marks square. We want to return to the ship at night the 1st night and travel to the airport by 9.00am the last day (a Sunday)

Thanks in advance

Yarramar,

From the cruise ship terminal you can get into Venice by walking, vaporetto, or taking a taxi to Plaza Roma and then taking the vaporetto or walking.

The key is to pack light and the emphasis is on the light. This is to avoid having to lug luggage over cobblestones, and especially the rather steep pedesrian bridges over the canals.

As I am sure you know, the vaporetto is the equivalent of the Sydney ferry system, and you use the vaporetto to go everywhere or walk. Buy a vaporetto pass which will saveyou both time and money. And take a vaporetto ride at night up the Guideca and Grand Canals and sit upfront and outside.

Another reason to pack light is the vaporetto itself. There is standing room and you can take your suitcases but you will have to move rather quickly as vaporetto passengers want to get on and off quickly. This means that you and your wife will have to move the suitcases not only by yourself but quickly.

You might want to check with your hotel as they may recommend a way to go from the hotel to the airport (but remember Venice is one of the most expensive places in the world so what they recommend may not be inexpensive).

There are two Mc Donalds in Venice. I tell you this not to start any arguments about cuisine but that the food is inexpensive and there are restrooms.

Purchase Rick Steve's book on Venice as this is fullof great information. There is information on how to go to the airport from Venice.

Here is a side trip idea for you. Verona is about an hour and a half by train from Venice's Santa Lucia train station. There is frequent service all day long. Verona is the city of Romeo and Juliet but has an Italian ambiance all its own. You can easily see Verona in about 4-5 hours, as Verona is not very big. You could take an early train, see Verona and be back in Venice by late afternoon or early evening.

Let me know if you need more information.

The closest rental outlet would be Hertz in Five Dock 3.5K from your apartment. HERE.

Best place for a choice of restaurants would be Crown St Surry Hills, there are 31 restaurants along there with most ethnic cuisines available. It is easy to drive there and you dont have to go through the city.

I disagree that it is an easy drive to Surry Hills. It is not right in the city but you do have to go through the south part to get there from Drummoyne. You also need to know where you are going. GPS is not infallible - ti can tell you turn right when there is a median strip etc. If you're going to the city drive to Abbotsford, Chiswick or Drummoyne wharves and catch the ferry Getting a parking spot in Surry Hills is nigh on impossible and that area is the highest in all of Australia for parking tickets.

Mochuk,

Thanks for your great input. As it looks now,is that we will take the ferry into Sydney. On days when we want to go to the Blue Mountains and other places outside Sydney we will rent a car. I like everything I have heard about Drummoyne so we will stay here.

When is the Australian Rules football season?

Mochuk,

Thanks for your great input. As it looks now,is that we will take the ferry into Sydney. On days when we want to go to the Blue Mountains and other places outside Sydney we will rent a car. I like everything I have heard about Drummoyne so we will stay here.

When is the Australian Rules football season?

Drummoyne is nice, my mother lived there as does my brother. The shopping at Birkenhead Point is also worth looking at. If you are interested in Aussie rules you will find everything you need on their website

Fred Do a little final homework on distance from your Lyonn Road Digs to the Abbotsford, Chiswick or Drummoyne ferry wharves.Dont be caught out at last minute that the wharves are too far from Lyonns Road to walk.There is a frequent bus that goes along Lyonns road in to the city also but im not sure what route number?

The surrounding inner western Suburbs have long been sought after places to live as per their proximity to the city and and the Harbour and house prices now in those areas are way beyond the average.

Hi Fredr

Drummoyne is a suburb just west of the city centre (only about 6km) so you'll be living with the locals, rather than the tourists - I think you'll be happy there. I'm not sure exactly where you are on Lyons Road but probably only a short walk to Victoria Road where a bus every 5 minutes will take you into the city in approx 15 minutes. There isn't a ferry from the Birkenhead Wharf to my knowledge - and I have lived in Rozelle (across the river) for 50 years so I should know!! Drummoyne is quite a nice suburb - mainly residential - surrounded on 3 sides by river/s ... if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them for you ... afterall, I'm almost a local. Enjoy your stay.:)

Archived