Spirit Class Balcony Categories

My DW and I have been looking at 2012 cruises and would really like to try a Spirit-class ship. We usually book balconies, 8A - 8D categories (conquest class).

When I look at the balcony categories on Spirit-class ships, the lowest category is 7A which is listed as "obstructed view" staterooms. The next category jumps to 8A, which is close to an extra $100 per person.

My question is this -- are the "obstructed view" staterooms really all that bad, and if so, which balcony category (in your opinion) is best for the money?

Thanks in advance!

I have never had an obstructed view balcony so I can not give an opinion on those. On the Spirit class ship, which we have been on twice and are going again this winter, we have had cabins on the 7th deck (Veranda) or the 6th deck (empress) so that there are rooms above and below us. Once we took the balcony on the rear of the ship, but we don't do that again. Too much soot for my taste. I'm not sure why there is a price jump, but I personally would pay the extra for the unobstructed view. No telling what will be in your way.

The obstructed view balconies have lifeboats below them, so you can see straight out, but will have obstructions when looking straight down. My dad had one on the Miracle and was fine with it. Just a caution, though....The first 3 lifeboats are taller, so they actually come up to around the balcony railing, while the ones further back only come up to around floor level (so less obstruction toward the back of the ship).

They are a good value if you're trying to save some $:)

Some of the 7A's are obstruced by a large life boat that comes up to the top of the balcony railing and other 7A's are just obstructed by a smaller boat that only comes up even with the balcony floor. Not from personal experience, but others have said that you can look straight out to the water just not directly down.

If you could manage to get a cabin with one of the smaller boats this would be a tremendous savings of $200. Here is a list I obtained of the 7A's on the Spirit class ships to give you an idea of the cabins with the smaller boats and a less obstructed view:

Tall Tender Boats that come up to the railing- ( more obstructed views)

Cabin #'s 5142 - 5167

Short boats that come even with the balcony floor- ( Less Obstructed)

Cabin #'s 5168 - 5191 and 5224 - 5245

I hope this helps you out a little bit. I did not know about these cabins when we booked our cruise back in Jan. on the Legend or I may have considered them due to the savings. I kept the list for future reference.

Good Luck .... Cari :)

LOVE the 7A's...all the comforts of the balcony and you save money :D don't you usually look straight out to sea when sitting on the balcony? The only time we usually look down is when in port and we watch the "runners" but heck you can do that on Lido;)

Archived