Weather last week Sept Glory out of NY

SailBabySail

Probably booking later this afternoon but I have a question. Never sailed last week of Sept to Canada and I am wondering what temperatures might be like so that I pack the right clothing. Anyone with suggestions? Thanks so much :)

I did a cruise to Canada on the Fascination, quite a few years ago.

The weather was quite nice, not cold at all, nor hot. The seas

were also calm. But you just never know, every year it can be

different. I went on a cruise to the Mediterranean and is was

very cool, except for the pre cruise stay in Rome. When I

took a transatlantic last year, I packed clothes for fall, But

it was very warm, all the way across the Atlantic. And it was

in November. You just never know, nor can you do anything

about it. :D

It'll change pretty much as you head north. Plan on 60's (maybe some 70's still) days, high 30's 40's nights. Great time of year up here!

I had a feeling that this might be the case. Thanks for the heads up and thanks to all who also gave an answer. I am booked come warm or cool weather :D

There is a rollcall for this sailing, come on over and chat with us. :)http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1026444

BTW thanks for asking this, I wanted to have some opinions, too.

I am planning on taking jeans, pants, both short and long sleeved Ts and a light weight corduroy jacket. I may bring some sweats. :confused: Since I am from the south I also plan on bringing my regular winter jacket just in case.

Never done that cruise (though it sounds great) but the weather in New York in late September is usually the nicest of the year. Warm days (upper 70s) with cool nights (60s) and a lot of sunny days.

I bet you'll get to see some leaf color up in Canada, though. Sounds like a good choice of dates.:)

There is a rollcall for this sailing, come on over and chat with us. :)http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1026444

BTW thanks for asking this, I wanted to have some opinions, too.

I am planning on taking jeans, pants, both short and long sleeved Ts and a light weight corduroy jacket. I may bring some sweats. :confused: Since I am from the south I also plan on bringing my regular winter jacket just in case.

I am fairly new to the message boards so could you please explain to me what this "roll call" thing is? I have seen it before but have no clue....Thanks :confused:

Just came back from the Glory yesterday.

Nights on the ship are COLD and windy. You definitely need a jacket. During the day the weather was warmer but still cool and windy. Some people would be bundled up on a lounge chair and others would be laying there with their bikinis on. Mini Golf on the top of the ship was WINDY but fun.

We only experienced the fog one day while in Halifax. The weather in

St. John was beautiful. No jacket needed. Halifax was rainy and cold and the seas were rough. Our whale watching excursion was a bust:(

Nights on the ship are COLD and windy. You definitely need a jacket. During the day the weather was warmer but still cool and windy. Some people would be bundled up on a lounge chair and others would be laying there with their bikinis on. Mini Golf on the top of the ship was WINDY but fun.

St. John was beautiful. No jacket needed. Halifax was rainy and cold and the seas were rough. Our whale watching excursion was a bust:(

Since we are going the last week in Sept I am thinking the water may be a little rough. I am hoping that the temps aren't freezing. I can deal with chilly..(you know what I mean since we are basically in the same area) so I am bringing a long sleeve top and a fleece jacket which should be warm enough....I HOPE! Since you were on that ship going north were the "special" drinks different from the tropical Caribbean drinks? Thanks for your input :D

It'll change pretty much as you head north. Plan on 60's (maybe some 70's still) days, high 30's 40's nights. Great time of year up here!

Wow! A Maine person would know..thanks for the info. I would then expect Nova Scotia to be colder still? Hoping that jeans, a long sleeve tee and a fleece jacket will be okay.

Since you were on that ship going north were the "special" drinks different from the tropical Caribbean drinks? Thanks for your input :D

I would say they were tropical Caribbean drinks. I saw one was served in a coconut.

I was hooked on a frozen mocha drink. It had an Irish Cream, Ghiradelli chocolate and rum. YUM!!!!

I would say they were tropical Caribbean drinks. I saw one was served in a coconut.

I was hooked on a frozen mocha drink. It had an Irish Cream, Ghiradelli chocolate and rum. YUM!!!!

Your drink sounds delish :cool: Geez, I would think they would have something that was more New England/Canadian like whatever that might be. Well, maybe I will think of something by then.

Probably booking later this afternoon but I have a question. Never sailed last week of Sept to Canada and I am wondering what temperatures might be like so that I pack the right clothing. Anyone with suggestions? Thanks so much :)

I sailed once in mid September, and then late September. Even the mid September, I packed for cool weather, expecting cooler temps.

BOY WAS I WRONG!

Although cool sailing out of NY, once we hit the gulf stream, it was BEAUTIFUL out there, all the way to the maritimes. And out stops were met with nice temps as well.

BUT, a third trip one July, and expecting it to be warm, was found with cool temps, and a log of fog at sea.

So, I would back for both warm and cool, as you may experience either. It all depends on what's coming through. Cool air, and warm water, will result is heavy fog.

I bet you'll get to see some leaf color up in Canada, though. Sounds like a good choice of dates.:)

Again, what I expected. NOT! No color changes at all. It was warmer in Canada than NY. That gulf stream affects that area.

You were cold at night in July? New England weather might not be for you, I'd hate to see you in January!

Wow! A Maine person would know..thanks for the info. I would then expect Nova Scotia to be colder still? Hoping that jeans, a long sleeve tee and a fleece jacket will be okay.

Not really, we're in a big gulf "gulf of maine" that stays a little cooler, parts of NS and NB are actually warmer because they get the gulf stream current. There are beaches up there that have really nice warm water in the summer.

You probably won't see allot of color in Sept., except in marshy areas. The good color usually doesn't start til at least the start of OCT.

Our cruise in July was colder than our two in September. And frought with fog.

It can be a foggy month, and sept. is one of the warmest months up here. But cold in July? I mean, you might get a little chill if the wind is up off the water but come on, it has been in the 80's pretty much every day this July, not what I would call cold.....

It can be a foggy month, and sept. is one of the warmest months up here. But cold in July? I mean, you might get a little chill if the wind is up off the water but come on, it has been in the 80's pretty much every day this July, not what I would call cold.....

I beleive you are talking land temps. I am talking air temps at sea. Move that air about, and the wind chills can really be bone chilling.

I beleive you are talking land temps. I am talking air temps at sea. Move that air about, and the wind chills can really be bone chilling.

Thanks for the info, but I live on an island :-) my house is about 14 miles from the mainland, I am well versed in the ways of the sea air...

Thanks for the info, but I live on an island :-) my house is about 14 miles from the mainland, I am well versed in the ways of the sea air...

Yet, from that distance, you are trying to tell me it wasn't cold on my cruise. :rolleyes:

I lived on an island for 18, and loved not having the need for air conditioning.

Yet, from that distance, you are trying to tell me it wasn't cold on my cruise. :rolleyes:

I lived on an island for 18, and loved not having the need for air conditioning.

It is the best, warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

My guess is, at the end of the day, its just of deffinition of 'cold' that varies. Up here, it's not cold til it's in the negatives :-) BTW-they say that this year will be by far the biggest cruise season ever in Maine, up 10-15% over last year.

Not really, we're in a big gulf "gulf of maine" that stays a little cooler, parts of NS and NB are actually warmer because they get the gulf stream current. There are beaches up there that have really nice warm water in the summer.

You probably won't see allot of color in Sept., except in marshy areas. The good color usually doesn't start til at least the start of OCT.

We are sailing out of NY on Sept 25 so anticipate some fall color if we get a cold snap. To tell you the truth I hope it stays on the mild side. I am prepared for both cold and warm temps, however.

Archived