Formal or Informal

Jerry and Shelly

Since the Celebrity dress code for formal nights is not limited to tuxes and dinner jackets it's not unusual to see more men in suits. There are even some in sportcoats, but not many.

I can only comment from my own experience and what I see on a regular basis. We don't take 4 or 5 night Carribbean cruises so I don't know if that's what you are reading about, but I still say "most" of the people on Celebrity follow the dress code in the MDR. That's what we are talking about and where it applies.

This is our family on our last cruise which was in May-June for 7 days on Solstice. Most of the people were dressed like this. When we go on longer cruises there are more people wearing tuxes and long gowns.

All I can say is we go on a lot of Celebrity cruises and I think I know what I see with my own eyes.

What a beautiful family portrait. Thanks for posting it :).

Since the Celebrity dress code for formal nights is not limited to tuxes and dinner jackets it's not unusual to see more men in suits. There are even some in sportcoats, but not many.

Everyone's experience is different. Mine has been quite different from yours. On my last few cruises, there were many men in sportcoats and slacks. Tuxes and suits, too, but many were not.

Everyone's experience is different. Mine has been quite different from yours. On my last few cruises, there were many men in sportcoats and slacks. Tuxes and suits, too, but many were not.

We only take the 2 week cruises in Europe or transatlantics. Tuxes and dinner jackets were definitely in the minority as well, especially our last cruise. You don't need to take as many clothes for those short 7 day cruises as you need to drag on the longer ones. My daughter wore a prom type dress on our May cruise and she said she felt very out of place on formal night. We usually cruise with family and sport coats for the men and sparkly pants suits for the older ladies are usually the norm. We were actually too busy having a wonderful time to worry about what other people were wearing, as were most of our fellow cruisers.

• 3 weeks later...

How about people who want to dress up and parade around in fancy clothes, can do it themselves. I suppose in our democratic tradition, the informal leaning guests should also demand exclusive informal nights, day for day with the exclusive formal nights (as in, shorts and t-shirts). Or we can just agree on 'to each his/her own'. Most people don't normally dress up in other areas of their lives, so this entire formal dress for dinner because you're on a cruise boat thing, just seems awfully pretentious to me. Personally, I think exceptionally fancy clothing in public is about as tacky as flashing around big wads of cash, too much jewelry and excessive makeup.

... just my informal take on this formal dress issue. In the end, the food and wine tastes the same whether it is formal or informal dress. During my last cruise, the head waiter told us it's our vacation and we should just wear whatever we want (within reason as usual). That's about as non-judgmental and friendly as advice can get.

How about people who want to dress up and parade around in fancy clothes, can do it themselves. I suppose in our democratic tradition, the informal leaning guests should also demand exclusive informal nights, day for day with the exclusive formal nights (as in, shorts and t-shirts). Or we can just agree on 'to each his/her own'. Most people don't normally dress up in other areas of their lives, so this entire formal dress for dinner because you're on a cruise boat thing, just seems awfully pretentious to me. Personally, I think exceptionally fancy clothing in public is about as tacky as flashing around big wads of cash, too much jewelry and excessive makeup.

... just my informal take on this formal dress issue. In the end, the food and wine tastes the same whether it is formal or informal dress. During my last cruise, the head waiter told us it's our vacation and we should just wear whatever we want (within reason as usual). That's about as non-judgmental and friendly as advice can get.

Although you won't see it in writing, that's pretty much Princess's stand on the whole formal dress policy in recent years although some head waiters are a little more restrictive than others. They really don't like to take a hard stand one way or the other for fear of offending some of the traditionalists.

Although you won't see it in writing, that's pretty much Princess's stand on the whole formal dress policy in recent years although some head waiters are a little more restrictive than others. They really don't like to take a hard stand one way or the other for fear of offending some of the traditionalists.

Thanks for the post. I'm boarding the Princess Emerald this Sunday, so your advice is extremely timely!

Thanks for the post. I'm boarding the Princess Emerald this Sunday, so your advice is extremely timely!

The good news is: When we were on the Emerald in May, on casual evenings a pair of jeans & polo worked out well and on formal nights a pair of dress pants with a long sleeve shirt was sufficient without the jacket or tie - A very informal formal evening.

The bad news is: hey did away with the sail away seafood buffet (It was to expensive.) but they had crab knuckles one evening in the Horizon which were more trouble than they were worth to open. Sabatini's was always casual.

We're going back on in Oct and do it all over again.

The good news is: When we were on the Emerald in May, on casual evenings a pair of jeans & polo worked out well and on formal nights a pair of dress pants with a long sleeve shirt was sufficient without the jacket or tie - A very informal formal evening.

The bad news is: hey did away with the sail away seafood buffet (It was to expensive.) but they had crab knuckles one evening in the Horizon which were more trouble than they were worth to open. Sabatini's was always casual.

Not requiring a jacket, will do wonders for my packing strategy. Now if only I could wear runners instead of having to pack dress shoes...

"A very informal formal evening" is quite simply a quintessential oxymoron.

I do not view signatures; hence, if you wish to advise fine, if not I would assume that your Celebrity experience is minimal.

Celebrity Infinity - July 2010,Celebrity Summit-June 2009, Celebrity Solstice-April 2009, Celebrity Solstice-December 2008, Celebrity Summit--March 2008, Crowne Princess--December 2006, Sapphire Princess--August 2005, Adventurer of the Seas--December 2004, Celebrity Infinity--April 2002, Celebrity Mercury--July 2001

Hope this is not to minimal to you to allow me to have an opinion.

It is funny to watch this thread. I see the same two or three people who are for one view and the same two or three people who are opposed and then the occasional person who chimes in worried about what people will think when they are onboard the ship. :rolleyes:

I am going on my first celebrity cruise in 5 weeks and can't wait to see what the truth is.

We have done NCL, and like Freestyle cruising. Next is Celebrity Infinity in December. I understand the appeal of a formal night, and will do my best to comply with the standard. I can see how dressing up adds to the atmosphere.

I will not rent a tuxedo. Personally, tuxedos are for weddings. Having to pay to rent a tuxedo is just an unnecessary expense. Also, packing for a two week cruise, with the high laundry prices, creates another problem. My goal is one bag checked and one carry on for myself and my Wife each. I can bring a suit and a few dress shirts without a problem.

Once you get onboard you can wear a lampsbade on your head if you like. No one will bother you and you can deal with any consequences of your choice.

One thing is for sure, Celebrity can't "require" good manners. People either have them or they don't.

I concur!

Once you get onboard you can wear a lampsbade on your head if you like. No one will bother you and you can deal with any consequences of your choice.

One thing is for sure, Celebrity can't "require" good manners. People either have them or they don't.

Lampshades are even harder to pack than a suit!

Maybe you are confusing manners with mannerisms. "Manners" is a highly subjective term, and differs among cultural backgrounds. "Mannerism" is a 'marked or excessive adherence to an unusual or a particular manner', much like a consistent facial twitch, or a vehement adherence to formal dress at dinner. I'm just kidding about the obviously incomparable comparison, but the gist is what are considered good manners to one, is not necessary good or reasonable manners to another - regardless of the published 'guidelines'.

It is funny to watch this thread. I see the same two or three people who are for one view and the same two or three people who are opposed and then the occasional person who chimes in worried about what people will think when they are onboard the ship. :rolleyes:

I am going on my first celebrity cruise in 5 weeks and can't wait to see what the truth is.

You are so correct.

After reading so many threads on this subject, and especially reports from people who just returned from a cruise, it is apparent that true formal attire is not required (regardless of what the "rules" are) and that very few men actually wear a tuxedo. Ironically, I just bought a tuxedo for our Solstice cruise next month, and I do not plan on bringing another suit, so I guess I will be dressed in the "formal minority."

Archived