Advice on Port Canaveral/Orlando

OT2Be2004

Hi! I was looking for some advice! We are going on a cruise in September that goes to Port Canaveral and were planning on going to Animal Kingdom. Our daughter will be 16 mons old at the time. I was wondering if anyone could tell us which they think would be more feasible. We will be getting into port at 7 am. and will be departing at 7 pm.

We looked into taking the excursion through Carnival but it is $160 per person and no one can anwser if we have to pay for our daughter, as admission to the park is free for kids under 3. But I worry about her not having a seat on the shuttle or going that far wtihout a carseat.

We were then pondering renting a car and driving up for the day. The cost works out to be $120 cheaper this route, however I get nervous that we will get lost and miss the ship! Also I don't know if we have to take a carseat with us or how all of that works!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi! I was looking for some advice! We are going on a cruise in September that goes to Port Canaveral and were planning on going to Animal Kingdom. Our daughter will be 16 mons old at the time. I was wondering if anyone could tell us which they think would be more feasible. We will be getting into port at 7 am. and will be departing at 7 pm.

We looked into taking the excursion through Carnival but it is $160 per person and no one can anwser if we have to pay for our daughter, as admission to the park is free for kids under 3. But I worry about her not having a seat on the shuttle or going that far wtihout a carseat.

We were then pondering renting a car and driving up for the day. The cost works out to be $120 cheaper this route, however I get nervous that we will get lost and miss the ship! Also I don't know if we have to take a carseat with us or how all of that works!

On Carnival you don't pay for excursions for kids under 4/4 and under (can't remember which) - but that assumes they are in a lap. My guess is your transportation would be by bus.

I wouldn't worry about getting lost if you do the rental car route - but it is going to take you over an hr drive time each way as Disney is on the other side of Orlando. Orlando and Disney are VERY WELL marked - they don't want all their tourists getting side tracked!

If you have your heart set on Animal Kingdom, don't let me discourage you, but though it is my favorite Disney park, I would not attempt it either way when cruising. Particularly with one that small - she's just not gonna get that much out of it. Now if she was 4 or 5, then that is a different matter - especially if you thought it was going to be your one and only shot at Disney in a lifetime. But my guess is that since you are already traveling with her at such a young age, at least one week at Disney will be in her future.

As an alternative, I would suggest taking an umbrella stroller and enjoying the day at the Space Center. It is just a short trip from the pier - and I wouldn't hesitate to make her a lap child for that short ride. It is an amazing experience and one that she probably wouldn't appreciate until she is 6-8 or older. Also, it will make for a less tiring day for Mom and Dad.

I would also seriously consider the Animal Kingdom option. Just thinking of how port days work....

Likely, you won't be off the ship right at 7:00 am, then also have to secure the car rental. It could realisticly be 9:00 am before you get on the road. After an hour car ride, probably looking at 10:15 - 10:30 before getting in the park. (And that is assuming you don't hit traffic around morning rush hour!) Take in to account your hour trip back to ship and also having to be onboard well before 7:00 pm. Our experience traveling between Orlando and Port Canaveral has sometimes included MUCH traffic. We have sat PARKED on that highway for more than an 1 1/2 hours due to accidents, traffic, construction, etc.

So, not to sound discouraging, but I would suggest hitting Animal Kingdom (which is a very fun park!) when timing is not such a concern. You would be spending a LOT of money and should get full enjoyment for your dollars! Whatever you decide, have FUN!

Hope this helps!

I would recommend against AK also. First of all, you will be rushed and worried about getting back on time. Second, AK is the most "outdoorsy" of all the parks and there aren't that many cool, air-conditioned areas, which you will want in September. Other than the petting zoo - which is at the farthest point in the park from the entrance (and AK is the farthest park from I-4 once you get on Disney property), she probably won't get much out of it anyway.

If you really want to drive over there and do a park, do the Magic Kingdom and take you child to Toon Town and Fantasy land -- at her age she will probably enjoy that, and she can see all the characters. She can ride the train to get there from the park entrance, rent a stroller, spend a few hours, and head back.

If you do go, rent the car seat from the rental car company and spring for a GPS so you won't worry so much about getting lost.

OR - you could just go to the beach -- Jetty Park is right there, and it is a nice beach with a snack bar and bathrooms.

You really won't have 12 hours...you'll need to be back ON the ship at least 1/2 hour prior to sailaway. If you were to rent a car, there's probably another hour or so gone dealing with that. Disney is about 1 hour away each direction. It can take 30 mins. from the parking lot to the actual attraction...

I'd save Disney for another time...land-based, perhaps!

The rental car companies at Port Canaveral are very in tune with the port schedule. I am sure they will be available and running shuttles early. You can check directly with the company you choose about the availability of a car seat. The route to Orlando/Disney is well marked. As already mentioned, you cannot control traffic and road work but you should be at about 2 hours each way door to door so to speak (with car rental and return, Disney parking and entry, etc.) It is up to you if you think the cost is justified for the time you have in the park.

If you do go, go directly to the back of the park and get a fast pass for the safari ride. My favorite at Animal Kingdom is the Lion King show and I also enjoy the bird show. This park has the shortest hours of all the parks (even if you did not have to get back to the ship) so plan your time well.

Check on the Carnival board and see if anyone can tell you about the cost for your 16 month old and if there is some car seat arrangement - there will be lots of children on this tour. With car rental, park entry, gas, parking fee, etc., the tour may be a safer way to go and not really too much more expensive,

I would definately price out your options. A daily pass into Animal Kingdom is going to cost you $79 per adult. The parking is $14 per car.

I'd also figure out the hassle, time and cost of renting the car, renting a car seat and driving to Orlando. I'd take a guess that it will take you at least 45 min to get off the ship and to rent your car. You are paying a big premium to go with the cruise line but the nice thing is you don't have to hassle with anything!! You just get on the bus and go. There are no worries about traffic slowing you down and you won't make the ship.

I will say one more thing! Animal Kingdom is a great park. If I was spending one day at WDW I would go for the Magic Kingdom. :) It's a "cooler" park where there are lots of air-conditioned rides. AK is the hottest park with very few "cool spots" to rest. No matter which park you choose be sure to check out the air-conditioned diaper changing stations if you need a break from the heat!

You will have to have a car seat if you rent a car. They are usually available for a small fee when you rent the car (just be sure to mention the car seat when you make the reservation--they are usually very limited in supply).

I would try going the day before cruise is my feasible answer. I'm glad you like to fit everything in, but it's a good 1 hour drive and you may get lost without a gps or good navigator. It's doable, but if you're not in Orlando in the wee hours starting out, I think it's just pushing time if you ask me. Everyone will be so rushed and tired by the time you get onboard. Where will be coming from before Port Canaveral?

Why not try to hire a limo service for the day? They know their way around the area, and will get you there and back very quickly. It will probably cost MORE than a rental, but less than the ship tour.

Sunshine Limo is one company that I've heard a lot of good things about.

CeleBrat

Archived