sdmike's review & daily diary of Epic's inaugural western Caribbean cruise

sdmike

Mike!

I have been a fan of yours for years, and this review is one of the reasons!! Thank you so much for torturing me!! :D

I am just chomping at the bit to get on the EPIC and have a blast.

Thanks again Mike! You are one of the best.

~Intrepid.

I think it was because most people just didn't know it was there, honestly. We were able to walk around all over the place up there without restriction. It was very pleasant and had a nice breeze being towards the front and up high.

Just noticed on the thread below that they still haven't decided to open POSH up to the rest of the ship yet!

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1239049&page=5

Mike - thanks so much for sharing the pictures - what a great perspective. But I have to say my favorite pictures are the ones of you and your family - you can absolutely see the JOY on your faces! Can't wait to do the same for my hubby and kids in January. Thanks for such a personal look into your trip.

make sure the label says the product is Coumarin free. Isn't Coumarin rat poison?????

We had dinner at Taste again (you don’t need pants in Taste) Hmmm...

I think it was because most people just didn't know it was there, honestly. We were able to walk around all over the place up there without restriction. It was very pleasant and had a nice breeze being towards the front and up high.

The last anyone heard officially, it's because it isn't fully open to the public yet. It was originally intended to be exclusive to the suites & courtyards....that's why it seemed so empty.

Also, your entry to the spa....anything to do with a staircase? ;)

Why do people feel compelled to express their negative .02 on these boards??? Keep your drab comments to yourself, specifically on a review.:(

Mike, if you get a chance, can you comment about the "ice" up on the sports deck? I saw in the western daily they have "open skating" on a few nights, and a few hockey events on certain afternoons.

Also, did you see any advantage to "premium seating" at the Circue dinner?

Mike

Wow.... umm.... seriously... a) this isn't a review.... reviews are in the Review section of the boards and cannot be directly discussed b) it's a free-for-all, and anyone has the right to comment however they like pro or con (just not personal)..... what if someone came along in a few posts and suggested you keep your ice-skating questions to yourself, as they have no place in a review? :eek:

As for Cirque, we sat right at centre-circle, and were not bothered by the performers...... (to say the least!! ;) )

Edited by sjbdtz

Hi Mike !

So are you saying POSH is open to all ?

Great view and photos by the way

Mike

Mike,

Was wondering....saw you went down to O'Sheehans to hang out beforer debarkation. Was it crowded there? Could you still get breakfast/food there that morning!

Thanks...great detailed review!!

The only place you could get food the morning of debarkation was the Garden Cafe, and I understand it was only open until 9am. When we sat in O'Sheehans it was empty. I think most people want to get off earlier, so we basically had the ship to ourselves until 10:15 when they kicked us off. When we got to the luggage area the only bags there were ours. lol

I'm going through your photos now. They're the best!

Can you tell me if there's any mini buses or something running along the pier? Someone traveling with me has knee problems & that pier is LOOOOONNNNNGGGG.

Hi Mike !

So are you saying POSH is open to all ?

Great view and photos by the way

Mike

Well, it's kind of confusing to say the least. Everything is connected up on top of the hat, and the only divider is between the private sun deck and the public ones. There's nothing to keep you out of Posh once you are up there. Any doors were unlocked, and we were even able to enter the stairwell on 18 and walk down to 17 and 16 which are supposed to be off limits. The bartender at Posh didn't pay us any attention at all when we were up there. So, to answer your question, I really don't know HOW they are handling this. All I know is that it was all empty and nobody seemed to have any issues with us up there. Maybe we were in the wrong place? Since there didn't appear to be any stair access up to the public sun deck on 18 we went up the elevator to where Posh is and wandered around.

Anyone else do this that can chime in? I'd hate to think I just recommended something that is "illegal" in my write-up. :)

Well, it's kind of confusing to say the least. Everything is connected up on top of the hat, and the only divider is between the private sun deck and the public ones. There's nothing to keep you out of Posh once you are up there. Any doors were unlocked, and we were even able to enter the stairwell on 18 and walk down to 17 and 16 which are supposed to be off limits. The bartender at Posh didn't pay us any attention at all when we were up there. So, to answer your question, I really don't know HOW they are handling this. All I know is that it was all empty and nobody seemed to have any issues with us up there. Maybe we were in the wrong place? Since there didn't appear to be any stair access up to the public sun deck on 18 we went up the elevator to where Posh is and wandered around.

Anyone else do this that can chime in? I'd hate to think I just recommended something that is "illegal" in my write-up. :)

So how do you get up to the Posh Deck ? FWD Elevator ? FWD Stairs ?

Did you try buying a drink up there ?

You can get to the hallways on 16 & 17 but all the doors into the courtyard areas require a keycard to open including the door into the POSH area that apparently was left ajar or the card reader was not active. There are even card access doors between the public sundeck and the forward courtyard sundeck that I did see a couple of people slip through behind the bar waiter bringing drinks from POSH. Even the port side pool deck elevator that goes directly to POSH required a keycard to operate.

I really don't care if they open that area to the ship. Based on my experience on the TA and your and other's reports people would be crazy to pay extra for that space as it is now. It would not be hard to do since there is no direct access from POSH to the other courtyard areas without a programed keycard.

Edited by time2cruise1

Last Day - Departure (sniff, sniff)

Leaving Miami

1774-vi.jpg

Maybe the highest Epic pictures that exist. She's 25 miles off the coast and heading for the Eastern Caribbean.

1777-vi.jpg

1778-vi.jpg

Fantastic shots Mike! We're already talking about our next cruise, my husband wants to move to Florida so we have easy access! LOL !

On our last cruise in December we had a Garden Villa and I can confirm that in order to get up there you do need a key card with access. Also the Posh area that is on Epic was also on that ship, but it was not accessible to anyone unless you were in the Court Yard area.

So maybe it was a mistake that you were able to get up there. Did you actually see the court yard area with the special pool? If so then you were definately in the wrong area lol.

Orangegrove

Please tell me how B2B worked at the end of week one.

Thanks

Mike

I sure will. I am currently writing a long review. But the B2B was easy, but you still had to get off the ship, go through customs, and then go to waiting area. Took about an hour and 15 minutes or so.

I sure will. I am currently writing a long review. But the B2B was easy, but you still had to get off the ship, go through customs, and then go to waiting area. Took about an hour and 15 minutes or so.

orangegrove

Thanks for the b2b info. We are b2b 11/6. Do you have to pack up anything at all between the two weeks if you are staying in the same room??? We are also thinking about upgrading to a better room the second week. I wonder if we would have to take all our stuff through customs if we do that???

Thanks

Thanks for the review and pictures. We are sailing with our "kids" 18 & 21 and their friends Aug 21st and after seeing what you had to say we are all very excited! Again thanks for taking time to post all this!

Great review SDMIKE! UGh, Can't wait for my cruise only a couple of more weeks left. I think my 2yo Son is going to have a great time. We have been trying to show him some stuff. He is really looking forward to going on the "Big Boat" and see "Blue People!"

orangegrove

Thanks for the b2b info. We are b2b 11/6. Do you have to pack up anything at all between the two weeks if you are staying in the same room??? We are also thinking about upgrading to a better room the second week. I wonder if we would have to take all our stuff through customs if we do that???

Thanks

No, you do not have to pack your bags! It's a wonderful thing! :) All you need is your passport, key card, and customs form.

Thanks Mike for the wonderful review! Sorry you couldn't make Costa Maya - we're also looking forward to Maya Chan on our cruise in 33 days (but who's counting :D). I'm glad to hear most things weren't as crowded as reported on some of the preview cruises.

Got a couple questions -

• I saw the dress code listing no shorts in the Manhattan Room and Le Bistro, but no mention of jeans. Are these also outlawed in those venues? (I know you guys didn't eat there, but perhaps knew someone who did?)
  • Was the spa always crowded or was it mostly that first day when you mentioned it? We had originally wanted to book a spa balcony, but they were all sold out, so now we're looking at getting the passes.
  • Daily drink specials - I saw several listed on the Eastern Daily's that included a souvenir glass. Do you know if you could get the glass on day one, and then get a refill price on the next day's drink? I really don't need to be bringing home 14 glasses at the end of the week if DH and I decide each to get the drink of the day. :D
  • Taste/Manhattan menu - I've seen the available anytime menu, but were there also daily specials? Are these posted each day at the restaurant or on the interactive TV?

Thanks again for the great review. Although my boss may not thank you, as I kept coming back here to keep reading it when I probably should have been working. :D