Need Help going Digital

Gail Johnson

I would like to buy a digital camera for our Alaskan cruise in May. We now own a Nikon 35mm. Use it always in the automatic mode since I am not a good photographer.

Would like a digital which is EASY to use, has a decent zoom and has a large area for the space where you see what you are shooting. I am very much an amatour .would like a camera which is not expensive but one which will take good pictures. Hauling that heavy Nikon around is difficult.

I have read most of the posts and have to tell you that I am LOST. Please email me at :darlin6372@aol.com for any helpful suggestions or advice.

Thanks so much.

Gail J.

I think all the all the top brands of digital cameras take great pictures right now. I say, even the ones that get bad reviews do a great job...just not as great. I started out with Nikon SLRs, so it seemed nature to buy a Nikon digital. I've owned a number of them. Currently I have a Coolpix 5400. It's not pocket sized, but close. It has a number of preprogrammed scene modes, like your SLR may have, as well as an auto mode. It also always lets you to set everything manually. It's been out about a year and a half, so it's getting cheaper. It has a $200 rebate on it now, so can be found for about $300, after rebate. It a 5 megapixel camera, which means printing at 8x10 is not a problem. My pictures from Hawaii were all taken with this camera (links below). BUT, whatever you decide, go to your local dealer, and make sure the controls and camera feel good in your hands. "The feel" is always important for me. Lots of discussion about Nikon digitals at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1007 By the way, all the Nikon digitals are very good at closeup stuff. Good shooting,

I have graduated from the 2Mp to 5.1MP and now 7.2MP Sony Cybershot. It is a great camera; it is small, takes great pics and fast. Especially good for someone like me who takes a lot of wildlife photos and carries it on a kayak, motorcycle, boat, etc. and it is great for taking pics in very white background (like snow/glaciers). You can buy it online from under $400

If you want more details send me an e-mail at texasredhead@charter.net

I have graduated from 2 to 5.1 to 7.2MP Sony Cybershot It is a great camera It is small, takes great pics and fast Especially good for someone like me who takes a lot of wildlife photos and carries it on a kayak, motorcycle, boat, etc. and it is great for taking pics in very white background (like snow/glaciers) You can buy it online from under $400

I have graduated from 2 to 5.1 to 7.2MP Sony Cybershot It is a great camera It is small, takes great pics and fast Especially good for someone like me who takes a lot of wildlife photos and carries it on a kayak, motorcycle, boat, etc. and it is great for taking pics in very white background (like snow/glaciers) You can buy it online from under $400

At this point, your best bet would probably be to take advantage of the size and convenience available with the newer crop of digital point-and-shoot cameras. With most ranging from 5-8MP, even large prints are photo quality, and have room to crop on a computer if you are inclined.

Though fully featured digitals like the bigger 'prosumers' and DSLRs have better control over the shots in manual modes, using them in auto mode won't yield much better results than an automatic point and shoot!

Some suggestions to look at: Canon makes the new SD200...extremely small yet takes great photos. 5MP for 8x10 photo-quality prints, 3x optical zoom, and a package smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

Sony makes 2 different lines with the same internal 'guts' - the P series and the W series. The W1 and P100 are 5MP with 3x optical zoom. The W7 and P150 are 7MP, and the new P200 is the same as the P150 but with a sizeable 2" LCD. The P100 and W1 can be had under $300.

Sony also makes the T1, a super-slim credit-card style cam with a 3x optical zoom, 5MP, and a huge 2.5" LCD for easy framing of shots. Casio also makes an Elixim model with basically the same specs as the Sony.

Panasonic makes the LZ7, a 5megapixel, 3x optical compact with a 2" LCD and image-stabilization (the only compact camera with it!)...meaning minor handshake or slow shutter shots can still come out clear and sharp. It goes for under $350.

If you wanted to step up to a more fully featured camera with bigger zoom - probably the best deal on the market is Panasonic's FZ20. It is a medium sized camera (a little smaller than an SLR) with 5MP and a fixed lens that has an unbelievable 12x zoom lens (equivalent to approximately 38-420MM!) made by reknowned lens manufacturer Leica. As almost required with a zoom lens that long, it also has image stabilization to steady the lens from handshake and movement. This camera would have much of the functionality of an SLR, but would operate just as well in fully-automatic mode. Moreover, it can be had retail under $500...usually less at bargain outlets! Comparative models by Sony, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, and Konica Minolta which are all great cams sell for $800-1100.

Hope that helps.

At this point, your best bet would probably be to take advantage of the size and convenience available with the newer crop of digital point-and-shoot cameras. With most ranging from 5-8MP, even large prints are photo quality, and have room to crop on a computer if you are inclined.

Though fully featured digitals like the bigger 'prosumers' and DSLRs have better control over the shots in manual modes, using them in auto mode won't yield much better results than an automatic point and shoot!

Some suggestions to look at: Canon makes the new SD200...extremely small yet takes great photos. 5MP for 8x10 photo-quality prints, 3x optical zoom, and a package smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

Sony makes 2 different lines with the same internal 'guts' - the P series and the W series. The W1 and P100 are 5MP with 3x optical zoom. The W7 and P150 are 7MP, and the new P200 is the same as the P150 but with a sizeable 2" LCD. The P100 and W1 can be had under $300.

Sony also makes the T1, a super-slim credit-card style cam with a 3x optical zoom, 5MP, and a huge 2.5" LCD for easy framing of shots. Casio also makes an Elixim model with basically the same specs as the Sony.

Panasonic makes the LZ7, a 5megapixel, 3x optical compact with a 2" LCD and image-stabilization (the only compact camera with it!)...meaning minor handshake or slow shutter shots can still come out clear and sharp. It goes for under $350.

If you wanted to step up to a more fully featured camera with bigger zoom - probably the best deal on the market is Panasonic's FZ20. It is a medium sized camera (a little smaller than an SLR) with 5MP and a fixed lens that has an unbelievable 12x zoom lens (equivalent to approximately 38-420MM!) made by reknowned lens manufacturer Leica. As almost required with a zoom lens that long, it also has image stabilization to steady the lens from handshake and movement. This camera would have much of the functionality of an SLR, but would operate just as well in fully-automatic mode. Moreover, it can be had retail under $500...usually less at bargain outlets! Comparative models by Sony, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, and Konica Minolta which are all great cams sell for $800-1100.

Hope that helps.

Yes.....Thank you very much. I am looking very hard at the Panasonic FZ20. Have read some good things about this camera but one of the main selling points for me is the zoom. I have not ruled out the Nikon yet. Gail J.

The Panasonic is a killer camera. We took the FZ10 with us to Alaska last May and you can see the pictures on this forum. The Diamond Princess in May. The FZ20 is supposed to have fixed all of the very few things wrong with the FZ10. We love our camera.

Jim

Zdude...why get something from a 'real' camera manufacturer? Has any 'real' camera manufacturer had more experience with digital processing, ccd or cmos sensor technology, circuit-board building, or any other digital camera part? And why wouldn't an electronics company be as adept or better at making an electronic camera?

Admittedly, the lens glass and quality would make a difference in the quality of the picture...so Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Canon, etc may have better lenses than Sony, Panasonic, Casio, Samsung, etc. Of course, most of those manufacturers DON'T MAKE their own glass for their high-end cameras. Sony's top end cameras use lenses made by Carl Zeiss...a very renowned camera lens manufacturer. Panasonic uses lenses by a company called Leica...which has a bit of a reputation as a 'real' camera maker. Kodak uses Schneider Kruznach, another renowned optical lens maker.

So pairing the peerless electronics and technology edge of companies like Sony and Panasonic with the peerless optical quality of companies like Leica and Zeiss produces an excellent product, equal to or better than what companies like Nikon or Canon can produce in the same category.

And though the D70 is a wonderful camera, as a DSLR it is in another category than the prosumer-style EVF cameras made by Sony and Panasonic. In the EVF category, Nikon is actually quite a bit BEHIND those two manufacturers in color reproduction, focal speed, processing speed, frame rate, and feature set. It is one of the reasons they are strongly considering exiting the point-and-shoot and prosumer marketplace and concentrating on what they do well - SLRs and DSLRs.

Oh, and here's a Fun Fact:

Who makes the sensor being used in the 'real' Nikon D70? That 6MP CCD sensor is manufactured by the 'fake' camera company, Sony! How about the top of the line Nikon D2X with an awesome 12.84MP CMOS sensor? Made by....SONY! Take a look inside some Sigma DSLRs, or a Konica Minolta DSLR, and guess what name you'll find on the sensors. Four letters, starts with S, ends with Y!

Guess how many 'real' camera makers actually MAKE their own sensors...the primary technology making digital photography possible? How about 0. Sony, Sanyo, Fuji, Foveon, and other electronic companies are making all the sensors used in digital cameras. 'Real' camera manufacturers know how to make lenses and optics, not electronics and microprocessors. Remember that an SLR camera actually requires no electricity at all to function...it is a mechanical action (though newer ones can be electronic). The camera simply needs an aperature to control the amount of light getting to the film when the shutter is open, and a shutter whose speed can be adjusted to open and close more or less quickly for exposing the film to light. The film's sensitivity (ISO) is not controlled by the camera, but the film itself.

Digital cameras require advanced electronics to reproduce a photograph by exposing a sensor instead of film...the "ISO" is an electronically adjusted sensitivity even in DSLRs. The sensor must process the data stream into a reproduction of what was exposed to it, and an elecronically programmed and controlled color array must translate the colors to approximate what the eye saw. Other than the actual lens quality, a film-based camera company has no advantage over an electronics company at making a digital camera...and in fact have many disadvantages which require them to outsource most of the microprocessor and electronic parts in the camera from 'real' elecrtonics manufacturers!

I enjoy my real Canon and Pentax SLR cameras...as well as my real Canon digital camera with 'real' Sanyo technology inside and my 'fake' Sony digital cameras with their 'real' Sony electronics and 'real' Zeiss lenses.

If you're looking for a digital camera that is easy to use and has a good zoom...look no further - you have to get the Kodak DX6490 (4 megapixel, 10x optical zoom):

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml;jsessionid=ZSMSFQIC2SWXHFW4FBEHWD2W1YUBI4L4?pq-path=1336&Submit.x=14&Submit.y=11&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=25355

or the Kodak DX7590 (same as above but 5mp), or Z740.

Kodak cameras and software are so easy to use and the shots and prints come out crystal clear. They are the Picture People after all - can't go wrong with a Kodak.

Don't get a Sony Cybershot - friends of mine have those and hate it. Shots all come out blurry no matter how many megapixels.

Oops, there goes another one! NYCchick, Kodaks are indeed easy to use, and they make some very nice models of camera including the ones you refer to. Of course, they also make some not-so-great, basic, point and shoot cameras. When camera manufacturers make such a wide range of cameras, it is really not appropriate to generalize about them.

Similarly, your generalization about Sony Cybershot cameras is quite off-base. First of all, Sony makes 13 current models under the Cybershot name, with 8 more debuting in the next 3 months. They range from the basic ultra-compact fixed-lens P73s and U series to the fully featured, manual-controlled, top-rated 717s and 828s. Check out digital camera sites like dpreview, dcresource, stevesdigicams, and others, and you'll find many Sony models as top-of-their-class, and rated as some of the finest digital cameras manufactured today at any price.

Very likely, your friends who have Cybershots and hate them have compact or ultra-compact point-and-shoot models, such as the T1, W1, or P100/150. These are made from 3.2 all the way to 7 megapixels. The megapixel rating does NOT refer to a camera's optical quality nor how advanced or feature-laden it is. A 7MP point-and-shoot camera can still be vastly inferior to a 5MP prosumer camera.

The Cybershots your friends have are not in the same category of camera as the Kodak 6490 you mentioned - those Cybershots are COMPACT cameras with COMPACT lenses. The Kodak you specifically mentioned has a significantly larger lens than those smaller Sony models. So why would the smaller lens produce the blurry shots your friends complained about?

Well, a smaller lens has less overall capability to transmit light to the sensor. A camera will be able to 'freeze' the action when exposed to nice, bright light for a very small fraction of time. Typically, the aperature of a camera can be made bigger or smaller (like your pupil does) depending on available light...lots of light means small aperature possible and low light means bigger aperature possible. Of course, a lens which is an inch wide will be more capable of transmitting light than a lens only 1/4 inch wide. Your 6490 has a significantly bigger lens than a Sony P100, for example...nearly 4 times bigger. My Sony DSC-F717 on the other hand has a larger lens than your 6490, and therefore can respond even better in low light or small aperature situations...and takes better pictures across the board (not my opinion...it was rated one of the best prosumer digital cameras by most of those sites I mentioned above).

At the same time, the camera's shutter can typically open very very quickly when plenty of light is reaching the sensor...1/1000 of a second or less! The less light reaching the sensor, the longer the shutter must stay open to create a correctly-exposed shot. This can result in pictures just as bright and vibrant as with the shorter shutter and more light, but because the shutter stays open longer, any movement of the camera or subject can result in more blur. If the shutter opens for 1/2 second...think about how much something can move in that time. Your sensor is trying to expose a brief moment in time, but the shutter stays open longer to get the right light, making that moment longer and longer.

Of course, we just pointed out how the compact cameras have very small lenses versus the 10x optical zoom cameras...sometimes the lenses are a mere fraction of an inch in diameter. And this means they cannot let through as much light as a bigger lens, and that means the shutter has to stay open longer.

What your friends are seeing in their blurry shots are their own movement. If your friends sacrificed vanity a bit, they could buy a bulkier and less attractive camera like the 6490 and get a better lens...or they can get the cool, tiny, neato cameras and learn the limits of its abilities. In case you think this is a problem for only Sony Cybershots, have your friends go out and purchase a compact Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Sanyo, Samsung, Rollei, Olympus, Casio, or any other manufacturer...they'll find the same blurry pictures due to the tiny fashionable lenses. Many of these by the way, including the cameras your friends hate, are quite good cameras...but you must learn to use them within the limitations of all of that ultra-compact technology that makes them so fashionable. If they knew about photography, your friends would know that they could switch to A mode to force a larger aperature for more light, or S mode to force a faster shutter to get less blur. or even M mode, to adjust both the aperature and the shutter for the best combination. Or they could use a forced flash to add some foreground lighting to certain shots. I know that my baby third camera, a U20, has just about the smallest lens on the market, and is one of the cheapest, least-controllable cameras available today (literally, point-shoot...no zoom, no aperature, nothing!)...yet I still somehow manage to avoid any blurry shots even at a lowly 2MP!

Cameras with larger lenses will always be able to outperform the tiny-lens compacts...regardless of megapixels. Certainly the huge, Zeiss-optic 5x lens on my 717 is one of the better lenses made, and the shots the camera produces are excellent. The new top-rated Sony V3 with its 4x optical zoom has proven to be one of the finest 7MP cameras in the world, besting the brand-new Canon G6 in a tight race between two excellent cameras in dpreview's recent comparison. The Kodak DX series, though a wonderful bargain and solid cameras for first-timers, do not compare to the Nikon 8800, Canon G6 or Pro1, Sony V3 or 828, Olympus 8080, or Panasonic FZ20, which are all ina completely different class of camera. And above those sit the pinnacle of digital photography, the excellent DSLR class which bring the finest larger-sensor capabilities and excellent SLR lenses to the mix. Kodak by the way makes excellent DSLRs with mounts for third-party lenses.

Just please understand the difference between models...to say 'don't buy a Sony Cybershot' is an uneducated, narrow-minded statement. It would make as much sense to tell someone not to buy a Kodak digital because their throwaway instant film cameras are cheap, made of cardboard, and can't zoom.

(and feel free to browse my gallery of cruises and other things to see some samples from a Sony Cybershot which aren't blurry: www.funtigo.com/zackiedawg. Just go to the Cruises gallery for ship-related stuff).

Hope that helps clear a few things up in the huge, diverse digital camera marketplace.

I'm sorry but do you work for Sony or something? Sorry to have offended you. I am NOT a profesh photographer as you probably are - I'm just someone who has enjoyed taking pictures my whole life. I think I can tell a good camera from a bad one just by the shot and print quality...who can't? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...mine is that Sony's are good for stereo's and TV's...not cameras! I go with the photo brand I grew up with - Kodak. Been using their film forever - like I said before - they are the picture people...not Sony. I just trust their brand more when it comes to photos....that's all. I know nothing about lens quality and all that other stuff you mentioned as I'm sure many people on this thread don't either. The orginal poster said she was looking for an easy to use camera with a good zoom - I was just suggesting one I thought she might like.

I know more than a handful of people who have been upset with their Sony cameras, as I know more than a handful who have nothing but rave reviews for their Kodaks (point and shoot as well as the better lensed cameras like the 6490 that I have).....again, it's simply my opinion! Please don't get offended and please don't call me uneducated again : ) My parents would hate to hear someone calling me that after the money they spent on my college education!

And I think a lot of people are into small cameras - I'm not. I prefer to have better quality photos and don't care much about camera size. So I don't think it's just my friends who care about "vanity" when it comes to cameras...most people want one that will fit into their pockets and I've seen many shots from the new small casio's (that can probably fit into my wallet they're so thin and small) that are clearer than any I've seen from the Sony Cybershots.

Really why are you taking this so personally? I've never seen such a long response on these boards before!

NYCChic, please don't take the phrase 'undereducated' as offense...I am not saying that you are an undereducated person - just that the statement you made was undereducated as to digital cameras and the differences in lenses and sensors.

Note: I do not work for Sony. I use film cameras made by Canon and Pentax, and shoot on mostly Kodak film as well as some Fuji film. I use digital cameras made by Sony and Canon. I bought my girlfriend a Kodak digital!

I did not intend to put down Kodak cameras...as I mentioned several times, they are quite good.

I also know a handful of people who have been upset with their Sony cameras...and Canon cameras...and even Kodak cameras. And handfuls that love each of those manufacturers. and I certainly don't have any intention of taking away your opinion.

I just simply want to point out some facts I have learned from being an amateur photographer, and having gotten into digital photography several years ago. I at first didn't understand much about digital photography either...I was extremely under-educated! But I since learned alot, especially about the relationship between lens size, type, length, sensor size, sensitivity, megapixel rating, etc.

I certainly understand if certain people don't like Canon or Sony cameras, even though I use them. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, ergonomics can make a big difference, and a person's familiarity with a certain brand can make it a favorite. I just didn't want someone to make their decision to like or dislike a particular brand based on one or two models, or a few people having problems using them...especially when they are otherwise so highly regarded.

The fact is there are lots of people who like Kodak, lots who like Sony, lots who like Canon, etc. All are fine...and certain models may be better than other models. I happen to have had very good experiences with Sony and Canon digitals, so I wanted my opinion to counterbalance yours just so people know that there are people out there with very good experiences with the cameras you referred to as bad.

Certainly you may keep your opinion...and you may even learn a whole lot about digital cameras - more than me even, and STILL dislike Sony cameras. That's fine too. I didn't mean to demean your opinion or your right to have one, and absolutely didn't attend any personal attack about you or your overall education. I am not as offended by the term 'undereducated' or 'ignorant'...it just means that pertaining to one particular subject, a person doesn't know much about it. I am certainly very undereducated in several areas...but in digital and film cameras I have some knowledge.

BTW - I didn't take it personally...I don't take anything on the internet personally. Never worry about offending me unless you are doing it in my face! ;)

As for the long response...check my thread history. You'll see I typically type many paragraphs in my responses and posts. I'm a wordy person. Can't shut up. Like to talk. And type. BTW - I agree with you when it comes to cameras...I prefer quality over size. Small cameras are neat looking, but in the end I'd rather have a good picture. I do carry a super-small digital along with my more full sized one, in case the weather is crappy or I need both hands to hold on doing something more adventerous...it can be nice to still have some camera with me but I don't want to damage my good one.

The Casio Elixims are good little cameras...the slim pocket cams they make actually do have larger lenses than Sony's slim folded-lens T1, and probably can snap a little faster!

If any offense was taken, I apologize. Just wanted to offer my opinion, and spread a little of what I learned about digital myself. I was a newbie just a few years ago, but love photography and have picked the brain of anyone I've come across who knows more than me. Because they were kind enough to give me information and advice, and correct me when I was wrong, I have learned so much more about photography and cameras. I just want to do the same for others!

OK sorry if I got snippy with you or thought you were being snippy with me...just having a stressful day at work...shouldn't have taken it out on you : )

That's the little camera my sister has...the Casio Elixim. She loves it and it really does seem to take good pictures. I want to get a small digital one of these days but haven't decided which one. I may go for that one. I'm in no rush though since I'm loving the 6490...but it would be nice to have a pocket size one in case I didn't feel like carrying around the big one.

I also have a Pentax film camera - just an automatic and I forget what model. It's actually 10 years old but I love it - it takes great pictures. It has a really huge zoom...I was using it at a wedding once and some man on the dance floor asked me if my camera was on *****! I almost died - pretty funny. The lens comes out really far though b/c of the big zoom!

I wish I knew more about photography b/c I really do enjoy taking pictures. I've just been lucky and have always taken great shots without knowing too much about lighting or anything else. Sounds like you really are a professional photographer! You know a lot...that's good.

Zackiedawg, that was a explaination on lens, that brought me back to Photo 101. We all need to go back every now and then to go over everything we have learned and done.

Now sidetracking I would recommend a Fuji S-5100, it seems to fits hands pretty well it has a 10x optical lens and allows the use of filters. that is my two cents

Enjoy

I agree with Mountainhouse. The coolpix 5400 is an good digital camera. Easy to learn/use and takes great pictures. The perfect camera for someone who wants quality pictures but does not want to spend hours figuring out what setting to use.

I personally use a Canon EOS D1S Mark II myself

nycchic, We're on the same page...we were just reading from different ends! You probably have 'the eye' for photography...there are lots of people who didn't learn all the definitions or functions, but just know how to hold a camera, how to shoot, and how to compose and balance lighting for a good shot. Your instincts are good because you chose to go with a camera with a bigger and better lens, even if it compromises portability. You are probably a good candidate to eventually move up to a DSLR, as you learn more of the manual controls of a camera. If you've already got a good eye for composition, you'll have an edge over many others and probably get some fantastic shots. Browse around a site like dpreview.com...check out their forums where all the cameraheads hang out. That is actually where I have learned most of my photography and camera information...there are lots of people who will answer your questions, explain functions, and even critique your posted photos for advice on how to make them better. My shots have improved 300% since starting on that site.

Thanks Suzie...that's pretty much what I wanted to do, is go back to 101. I only passed that course myself a year or two ago! Though I've been shooting with SLRs since 1977, I really was always a mostly automatic user. I sort-of understood that if I turned the aperature ring towards a bigger F number, the shot got darker...and if I cranked up the shutter speed, it made moving things more still...but I never really learned why, and never understood how and when to use them both. The concept of a smaller lens vs larger was logical, but I never really had a need to consider it until I started looking for tiny-lensed digital cameras as a 2nd cam.

I agree with you on the Fuji...I sometimes forget how many camera companies make 10x zooms...Kodak, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Konica Minolta, Nikon, Canon, Pentax...Many like the Kodak and Fuji are much less expensive yet still have very good lenses (Fuji makes their own respectable glass, and Kodak uses Schneider-Kruznach for their upper-end models). The Panasonic, Sony, KM, Canon, and Nikon offer image stabilization on some of their long-zoom models which does really help if you intend to shoot long often...but if you just want a good, inexpensive overalll-use camera with the ability to occasionally zoom waaaaaay in, the non_IS cameras are an excellent buy.

UpYonder, I haven't yet played with the Nikon 5400 but have heard good reviews on it and would expect that it is a great camera for someone who just wants a second cam which is simple but effective, or a newbie photographer who hasn't learned the gamut but wants good shots. I hear the focusing system is quite good, and fairly novel the way it points out the focal area.

zachiedawg - I'm really amazed at everything you know about cameras and photography! Thanks for that website - I'll definintely check it out.

And when I am ready to buy a new, smaller sized camera I'm asking you which one to get! Seems you know all the cameras. Thanks!

nycchic, We're on the same page...we were just reading from different ends! You probably have 'the eye' for photography...there are lots of people who didn't learn all the definitions or functions, but just know how to hold a camera, how to shoot, and how to compose and balance lighting for a good shot. Your instincts are good because you chose to go with a camera with a bigger and better lens, even if it compromises portability. You are probably a good candidate to eventually move up to a DSLR, as you learn more of the manual controls of a camera. If you've already got a good eye for composition, you'll have an edge over many others and probably get some fantastic shots. Browse around a site like dpreview.com...check out their forums where all the cameraheads hang out. That is actually where I have learned most of my photography and camera information...there are lots of people who will answer your questions, explain functions, and even critique your posted photos for advice on how to make them better. My shots have improved 300% since starting on that site.

Thanks Suzie...that's pretty much what I wanted to do, is go back to 101. I only passed that course myself a year or two ago! Though I've been shooting with SLRs since 1977, I really was always a mostly automatic user. I sort-of understood that if I turned the aperature ring towards a bigger F number, the shot got darker...and if I cranked up the shutter speed, it made moving things more still...but I never really learned why, and never understood how and when to use them both. The concept of a smaller lens vs larger was logical, but I never really had a need to consider it until I started looking for tiny-lensed digital cameras as a 2nd cam.

I agree with you on the Fuji...I sometimes forget how many camera companies make 10x zooms...Kodak, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Konica Minolta, Nikon, Canon, Pentax...Many like the Kodak and Fuji are much less expensive yet still have very good lenses (Fuji makes their own respectable glass, and Kodak uses Schneider-Kruznach for their upper-end models). The Panasonic, Sony, KM, Canon, and Nikon offer image stabilization on some of their long-zoom models which does really help if you intend to shoot long often...but if you just want a good, inexpensive overalll-use camera with the ability to occasionally zoom waaaaaay in, the non_IS cameras are an excellent buy.

UpYonder, I haven't yet played with the Nikon 5400 but have heard good reviews on it and would expect that it is a great camera for someone who just wants a second cam which is simple but effective, or a newbie photographer who hasn't learned the gamut but wants good shots. I hear the focusing system is quite good, and fairly novel the way it points out the focal area.

We've decided on the Panasonic FZ20 for our first digital. They are out of stock at B&H at this time but they'll notify us when stock arrives. We are excited about the new camera and can't wait to experiment before our cruise in May. I feel like a child waiting for Christmas. Wondering if any of you out there have this camera and would like to share a few pointers......

Thanks for all the help, information and most of all the time you have spent helping me make our decision just a little easier.

Gail J.

A fine choice! I think you're going to love that nice, big, bright lens and the ability to zoom waaaaay in. Plus, if you really want to see the value of the Image Stabilization system, go all the way to 12x zoom WITHOUT I.S. and try to stay as steady as you can on some distant object...it'll still be moving all about. Then turn on IS and look at the same object. Amazing!

Once you get the camera, let us know - if you have any questions on functions, how to use a feature, or anything else, I'm sure plenty of us would be glad to help if we can.

You have the improved model of my camera, the FZ10.

One thing you should do early is experiment with the manual vs the auto focus. The switch is on the lens barrel. Manual Focus puts an area in the middle of the image in the middle of the View finder or (LCD). If you find yourself taking pictures that are crowed with objects (like people in a crowded room) who are all at different distances from the camera, the manual focus will help you focus on the one person in the crowd that you really care about.

Just for fun, when you get your camera, and the battery is charged,

BTW get a second battery, set your mode selector dial to macro (the tulip icon) and go take a picture of a flower. Use the LCD display and Manual Focus. Fill the screen with the Flower, focus and shoot. Awesome. Then try the sports mode on a moving target. Thats the mode you will want for whales and such.

Learn to be neurotic about some things. When you take the lens cap off, always put it in the same place. Thats what my wife does. She puts it in my hand. I always put it in my left pocket. When I use the camera, I put the lens in my right (just kidding) pocket. Actually I'm left handed so the lens goes in my other right (or left) pocket.

About the battery. Maxell makes an equivilant battery which we got at Circuit City for $35. Panasonic lists the real thing on their web site for $50+, but they never have them in stock. There is no difference in performance between the two. It would be a shame to be in the middle on a photogenic excursion and run out of juice.

Memory cards. The secure disk is faster than the other memory they list. But check your specs for the transfer speed for the camera. I read somewhere on mine that the transfer speed of the camera is 10MBS per second which makes the new ultra storage cards a waste of money for me. However, buy nothing smaller that 256MB cards. The bigger cards have a faster transfer rate than the small ones.

Learn the modes and settings that matter. On ship, the interior lights will give a decided yellow cast to you pictures. Learn to set the white balance for interior lights. Find the resolution that suits you for 90% of your shots and leave it there.

Above all, practice.

May good luck, good cruising, and good pictures be yours

You have the improved model of my camera, the FZ10.

One thing you should do early is experiment with the manual vs the auto focus. The switch is on the lens barrel. Manual Focus puts an area in the middle of the image in the middle of the View finder or (LCD). If you find yourself taking pictures that are crowed with objects (like people in a crowded room) who are all at different distances from the camera, the manual focus will help you focus on the one person in the crowd that you really care about.

Just for fun, when you get your camera, and the battery is charged,

BTW get a second battery, set your mode selector dial to macro (the tulip icon) and go take a picture of a flower. Use the LCD display and Manual Focus. Fill the screen with the Flower, focus and shoot. Awesome. Then try the sports mode on a moving target. Thats the mode you will want for whales and such.

Learn to be neurotic about some things. When you take the lens cap off, always put it in the same place. Thats what my wife does. She puts it in my hand. I always put it in my left pocket. When I use the camera, I put the lens in my right (just kidding) pocket. Actually I'm left handed so the lens goes in my other right (or left) pocket.

About the battery. Maxell makes an equivilant battery which we got at Circuit City for $35. Panasonic lists the real thing on their web site for $50+, but they never have them in stock. There is no difference in performance between the two. It would be a shame to be in the middle on a photogenic excursion and run out of juice.

Memory cards. The secure disk is faster than the other memory they list. But check your specs for the transfer speed for the camera. I read somewhere on mine that the transfer speed of the camera is 10MBS per second which makes the new ultra storage cards a waste of money for me. However, buy nothing smaller that 256MB cards. The bigger cards have a faster transfer rate than the small ones.

Learn the modes and settings that matter. On ship, the interior lights will give a decided yellow cast to you pictures. Learn to set the white balance for interior lights. Find the resolution that suits you for 90% of your shots and leave it there.

Above all, practice.

May good luck, good cruising, and good pictures be yours

Jim: Thanks for such a great run down on important info for us. I have printed your post for use when the camera arrives.

I have made a folder with this, info from Frank and also Jeff.

Can't tell each of you how grateful I am to you for so much advice.

Gail J.

Gail,

Knowing that someone appreciates learning from your lessons and mistakes (the lighting setting) makes posting fun.

When putting the lens cap back on the camera, put it in as far as it will go. The retaining claws sit deeper in the lens thne this old Nikon man expects them to.

When you get to the exotic stuff and you will want to and you will, read the manual about one or two controls/settings/techniques and go practice. When you understand these, try some more. Do not try to master everything at once. We are still learning after a year.

I looked for six months trying to find a book that would explain, in some depth, what each control setting was on a digital camera. Most of the books spent entirely to much ink on "how to choose a camera" and more ink on "how to choose a printer" and "how to edit pictures". All useful info, but not the info I wanted. I finally found a book that is somewhat helpful. It is "50 Fast Digital Camera Techniques." It has 50 chapters and 288 pages on how to use a digital camera any "prosumer" digital camera. The only peripheral equipment discussed is the tripod. I have found the book helpful.

The other thing you might want to explore is a photo editing software program. There are many of these. My wife uses Adobe Photo Elements. The thing about this software is that if you use the wrong setting on the camera like the light balance, you can often correct this with software. If you do not have time to change the flash setting to anti-red-eye, fix it with the software. And with software you can do fun things. I studied Zackiedawgs photos and have concluded that his signiture photo is a composite. I think he replaced a somewhat undramatic shy in the photo of a celebrity ship with a sunset sky from another photo. That is software.

Archived