Buying snorkel mask and fins onlin

Steve007NY

We are going on two week back to back Caribbean cruises... with lots of stops in places where snorkeling seems like THE thing to do (Cozumel, Roatan, Grand Cayman, etc.) The local sports supply shop has only a really cheap primitive set (the $30 Dive America snorkel, flippers and mask, with no valve on the snorkel).

Are we crazy to consider ordering sets online? We have "normal' head sizes, wear 8 and 9 1/2 men's shoes. Seem like a $40-50 investment will pay off on this one trip, expecially since we are Delta platinum and can bring heavy luggage for free.

any thoughts? Pointers on what to look for?

Thanks

will you buy shoes on line and just expect them to fit well from the picture? Dunno where you are in NY but upstate? Then I'll ask - Ski Boots and Ski's .... you'd buy these based on low cost and a picture?

Same goes for a mask - it is all about fit. I'd check the yellow pages and I'll bet you can find a dive store not TOO far away where a professional can help you.

Otherwise buyer beware and you'll get what you pay for - maybe.

depends on how much you want to spend and how much snorkeling you plan on doing. people always recommend you visit your LDS (local dive shop) and try on the equipment. having a good fitting mask makes all the difference in the world however you will spend alot more. with that being said, i dont see anything wrong with walmart or costco ("cheapies") snorkeling sets as long as they fit OK. no reason to spend $100-200, maybe more, on a snorkeling set if youre just an amateur or only plan to snorkel a couple times a year. also, whats with the valve on the snorkel? you dont need a valve on your snorkel. good luck and i suggest leisureprodotcom or scubadotcom if you shop online.

whats with the valve on the snorkel? you dont need a valve on your snorkel.

I'm assuming he means its just a regular snorkel, and not a 'dry' snorkel. I personally would get the dry snorkel.

And like someone else posted, the US Diver sets at Walmart are fine.

I know you said you don't have issues with heavy bags, but they do have these newer fins now, travel snorkel fins, which you might want to consider. Takes up less space in the suitcase.

Archived