Bathing suit

karenvit

We were on the Island in June, Vancouver to Whittier. I only saw kids in the pool (inside) most of the adults were in the hot tubs, but not very many ever in any of the inside. Most of the people in that area were just lounging/reading. We sat for awhile there and it was comfortable, but I don't know how it would be in the pool.

Is it warm enough to swin on the Island Princess going to Alaska in August? What about shorts--we leave from Vancouver--thanks.

Karen

As long as the Island Princess has a enclosed pool you'll find people swimming. The Golden in Mid July had quite a few indoor swimmers and a few brave souls in the outdoor pools. The pools are heated.

We only used our shorts in Seattle!

It really depends on what weather you get. On my first Alaskan cruise, we only used the indoor pool. I never wore shorts the whole week, but perhaps could have in the afternoon one day. It rained in a couple of ports and was mostly grey and cool the rest of the time.

Last year was totally different. We saw lots of people in the outdoor pool every day. We wore shorts and short sleeves in every single port. It never rained. We used the aft outdoor pool and hot tubs one day.

I don't expect to be so lucky this year, but I will be prepared for anything. I'm taking bathing suits and shorts... and my rain jacket and fleece!

We were in Alaska in August last year and yes we swam especially in the first two days after leaving Vancouver. The hot tubs are always lovely. BUT as my husband says - if you haven't got them you can't wear them!!:D Have an awesome trip.

Twink D.

Is it warm enough to swin on the Island Princess going to Alaska in August? What about shorts--we leave from Vancouver--thanks.

Karen

Both pools got quite a bit of use on our trip. Seemed the indoor one was closed more for cleaning and maintenance but it didn't slow down the kids and some adults. Glacier Bay day was sunny and warm and the lounges were almost full as we were cruising on out. I wore shorts every day except for flying days, upfront glacier days and at dinner. But DH wore pants most days and was happy except when we biked in Haines. So, it's all about knowing yourself. I had my one long sleeved shirt ready, but it stayed on the shelf. Waterproof windbreaker and my zip open mittens came in handy on the windy bow for glacier viewing and photo shooting.

I swam twice, tried the indoor and the outdoor, oddly enough the outdoor pool was warmer, but not the outside air. Brrr coming out of the pool. Doesn't hurt to bring your swimsuit. I only wore my shorts once - the day we departed Vancouver.

We went on Island Princess last month (can't believe it's already August!) and used the indoor pool & jacuzzi twice. We were southbound and the sea day before Vancouver it was warm enough to swim in the outdoor pool too. (I'm assuming that would be your first sea day since you are northbound.) Definitely bring shorts! It was very warm in Skagway during our trip and we could have worn them in Juneau too. I also wish I had brought flip flops during our trip to wear around the ship.

If you're interested, I wrote a "short" review of our trip on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/cruises/princess-cruises/island-princess-alaska-2010-short-review/

It's actually quite long but I intend to write a long entry about each day when I'm done sorting through my photos. :) I've also written out my advice on what to wear.

Hope it helps with your planning!

Archived