Oriana - table for two

exbodcon

Hi, Have second sitting confirmed on Oriana and table for four but have made special request for table for two as my partner is hard of hearing. We want to be sociable but on a large table as she finds it hard to make conversation and ends up not eating the meal. Have had a table for two on another ship but this was just a four split up leaving just a small gap between the next table.

How easy will it be to get a genuine table for two with a space between other guests ?

Thanks

Abount the only guarantee is to book the day bookings open for the first time for that particular cruise! They are allocated on a first-come basis. I believe bookings for first sitting are heavier so one stands a better chance at second sitting.

A table for two on Oriana is often not very far away from larger tables, in our experience. We have often requested a table for two at lunch, as we usually only want a quick meal, and have ended up chatting to the table of 8 next to us.

Perhaps you could give the table for four a try, I'm sure your fellow passengers would be understaning, and if ithey are not or it proves difficult, then ask to change, though tables for two are at a premium.

I can well understand your partner struggling on a table of 8, I do too. But a four could be ideal, she will be able to converse with the people opposite and you easier. If you get a 4 when you board you could try it out, if it doesn't work out, see the restaurant manager after and explain to him the problem. Also perhaps try Oriana Rhodes one night when you will definatley get a lovely table for two. OR is my favourite speciality restaurant, its super.

We are not keen on tables for four if it is a cruise of more than a few days for the obvious reasons and find six better, but it may not be suitable for you. Another alternative, when you first go to your cabin, is to pick up the card which tells you the restaurant and table number you've been allocated.. Immediately go to the restaurant and queue up with others who'll be there and speak to the duty Head Waiter/Maitre-De. He'll explain the table you've been allocted and then you can explain your predicament. If he can't find an immediate solution he'll put you on a wait list as many people change tables.

A few years ago, a table companion told us you can get any table you want, but a large backhander is required. I have no idea if it is true, as when we sailed with P&O we always booked on the first day. We booked IOTS 3 weeks before cruising, and still got a table for 2, its in the lap of the gods ( or the maitred!)

Richard

• 1 month later...

we have just spent 16 nights on the oriana. we booked late and although we asked for a table for 2, we were given 2 seats on a table for 8. it sees we were 76th in line for a change!!! As someone has already said, unless you book very early, you generally have to take whats on offer, or eat in the conservatory or al fresco or the terrace grill. We had someone on our table who spoke very quietly, and its not really any problem.

Actually, I've just remembered something from our cruise on Oriana. We were on a table for 8, but it was a straight oblong shape, which meant that conversing with everyone on the table was difficult; you had to lean past the person next to you to speak to the person beyond them. As a result, conversion tended to break into two 4-person conversations, with a split in the middle.

Archived