Princess Food

Q52

[quote name='lopdx']Hi, I hope the issues have been resolved, but if you would like to share with us what they were it might be helpful. We are sailing on the CB Oct. 2nd.
Thanks.[/quote]

In a nutshell, we're in a suite. We paid A LOT of money for this room and were told we would have certain perks and we're just not getting them.

1. Preferred embarkation.... did not exist. Not the fault of the cruiseline but its just one little thing we paid for that we didn't get.

2. Priority dining reservations.... NOT. We have the same reservation privileges as everyone else. Before 7:00 or after 8:30.

3. Breakfast at Sabatini's....was told we would be able to order anything we wanted...NOPE. Have to order what is on the menu and the menu stinks. Service wasn't good either. It's better in the buffett or main dining room.

[quote name='Q52']All of my Princess cruises took place over the previous 7 years. However, my most recent prior to the Caribbean was two summers ago on the Emerald. In between, I cruised on Celebrity and found the food to be signficantly better. Prior to this cruise, I had no complaint with Princess food.

I did not mean to be unspecific in my comment regarding food. I just wanted to solicit some opinions from frequent Princess cruises to determine if the problems went beyond the Caribbean. In terms of the MDR my issues were selection, quality of ingredients, and plating. For example, on special nights such as the Captain's or Chef's dinner items such as rack of lamb or lobster were of good quality and well prepared. However, on regular dinners fish portions were small and dry. Normal steaks had little taste. In addition, side dishes tended now to be plain white rice or other items that are innexpensive and low cost. Desserts as well followed a similar pattern. On special nights some desserts were very good. On regular nights many did not seem worth the calories. The pasta remained very good at every meal. Sabatini's also remained very good.

Buffet issues were selection, temp., and quality. For example, breakfast selections did not change materially throughout the cruise. Items such as steamship round of beef was very chewy. Many items were not hot. One final strange item. For some reason, chocolate chip cookies were very hard to find, although other types were almost always available. Sail-away buffet, however, with lobster claws was excellent.[/quote]

I have to agree with most everything you say. As far as the breakfast selections in the buffet the only things that seemed to change daily were the eggs and the pancakes. With that being said, I don't know how much they could change the menu? They serve every breakfast food some prepared more than one way and some that I have never heard of before. On the Caribbean Princess waffles are made fresh at scoops the ice cream venue. The only thing that I think they could improve on is to set up a separate section for special order omelets. It is in a bad location and no matter where you stand waiting you are always in the way. I am not trying to defend the cruise line. I am just wondering if I am missing something. As far as the side dishes in the MDR, I think they are on the plate more to be a garnish rather than to sustain hunger. But honestly after I finish 2 appetizers, soup, salad, and pasta I am re-leaved that the main dish is not so large. I also found that the chocolate chip cookies never seemed to be around but I also don't think that they are any better than the ones I buy at Costco, so I don't hunt them down. The oatmeal cookies are fine for a snack.

Archived