Can you bring on snacks and nonacholic drinks?

Now before you get upset...this is for my 8 year old daughter who always has a cup of goldfish crackers and tasting water (flavored carbonated water) before she goes to sleep each night. I was hoping I could bring it so the routine would not be broken. Is there someone I need to talk to? Or something I need to do to get this through?

I don't think that would be a problem. If you can get the individually wrapped snack sized goldfish packages, that would probably be best, in case you want to take them off the ship. Most ports have very strict rules about what can be taken off the ship (this is mainly fresh fruits, vegetables, fresh made sandwiches, anything that is not in a pre-packaged container). This is for prevention of disease and to prevent pests and other food/plant-borne invasive species from being brought in. I don't know of any known goldfish species, but who knows! ;) People put non-alcoholic beverages in their checked luggage and seem to have no problem bringing them through.

Now before you get upset...this is for my 8 year old daughter who always has a cup of goldfish crackers and tasting water (flavored carbonated water) before she goes to sleep each night. I was hoping I could bring it so the routine would not be broken. Is there someone I need to talk to? Or something I need to do to get this through?
No problem at all.

I don't think you'll have a problem at all. It's not like you're bringing a case of water and bulk size goldfish boxes. :)

It may not be a problem but it is just as much aginst the "rules" as bringing wine.

Smuggling wine gets everyone in an uproar. Water and such seems to avoid all flames

OP might consider this as an opportunity to break the high carb at bedtime habit or her 8 y/o and try some warm milk.

It may not be a problem but it is just as much aginst the "rules" as bringing wine.

Smuggling wine gets everyone in an uproar. Water and such seems to avoid all flames

OP might consider this as an opportunity to break the high carb at bedtime habit or her 8 y/o and try some warm milk.

Yes, I think out in the middle of an ocean in a strange place is a wonderful time to try to mix things up with her young child. Especially when it comes to sleeping. :eek:

OP didn't ask for our parenting advice. She just wanted to know if she could bring the stuff with her.

Well, I'm not sure it *is* against the rules. The RCI website isn't very clear; it starts by saying you should not bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages aboard but then only says that alcohol will be confiscated - nothing about non-alcoholic beverages.

OP, I'm sure you'll be fine; particularly if you explain that the water etc. is for your daughter.

This is not true. Brining your own alcoholic beverages is expressly prohibited in the cruise contract, as well as on the list of "What Not to Pack." Non-alcoholic beverages are mentioned in neither.

Come on, RCI has never to my knowlwage bothered anyone bringing snack food or flavored carbonated water onboard!

This is not true. Brining your own alcoholic beverages is expressly prohibited in the cruise contract, as well as on the list of "What Not to Pack." Non-alcoholic beverages are mentioned in neither.

From the 10 FAQ on the RCCL website:

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids

I don't think the water thing is a problem nor the goldfish. Individual packages are best.

I brought two 12 packs of seltzer water that I packed in it's own bag. I certainly wasn't hiding it. It arrived at my room with no problems.

Yep. That's what I remembered, too, pmacher61. The only place you can find a mention of not bringing non-alcoholic beverages is if you happen to look at a particular FAQ on the website. Alcohol, on the other hand, is mentioned in the cruise contract and in the list of "What Not to Bring" that is found both on the website and in the cruise information that is sent out (whether printed or electronic). And even in this FAQ specific to beverages, it focuses mainly on prohibiting alcohol. It's pretty clear that it is not "just as much against the rules."

I've noticed this too.

Apparently snacks and soda are fine.

Just for info - They do sell the soda on the ship as well as a few snacks in the shop, so that might be an option rather than bringing them on board.

Of, course, you will need to get dressed, ( maybe bring your child with you) , go to a bar, order the soda, and bring the soda back to the cabin. May I suggest that you do not get ice, that way it will not be watered down when she is ready to drink it. In fact – you can always get a few earlier in the evening, and hold it in the cabin until she is ready .

Seem like a lot of trouble for a bedtime beverage? Well – those who want other beverages, also not allowed, must follow this process if they want a cocktail in their cabin.

M

Yep. That's what I remembered, too, pmacher61. The only place you can find a mention of not bringing non-alcoholic beverages is if you happen to look at a particular FAQ on the website. Alcohol, on the other hand, is mentioned in the cruise contract and in the list of "What Not to Bring" that is found both on the website and in the cruise information that is sent out (whether printed or electronic). And even in this FAQ specific to beverages, it focuses mainly on prohibiting alcohol. It's pretty clear that it is not "just as much against the rules."

"Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use"

I guess mentioning both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages in the same sentence does not make it the same rule. And only mentiopning it once somehow makes it less of a rule?

Hey...I'm not saying it's right....I'm a rum-runner fan. I'm just sayin a rule is a rule.

"Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use"

I guess mentioning both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages in the same sentence does not make it the same rule. And only mentiopning it once somehow makes it less of a rule?

Hey...I'm not saying it's right....I'm a rum-runner fan. I'm just sayin a rule is a rule.

My point was not about it being mentioned in the same sentence or the number of times it was mentioned. It's more the location. This is an answer to an "FAQ." I challenge you to find it anywhere else other than the FAQ section. I consider the restriction on alcohol more of a "rule" because it is mentioned in the cruise contract and the official "What Not to Pack" list. It might also be in the passenger code of conduct; can't remember for sure. FAQs are just a side note.

I've noticed this too.

Apparently snacks and soda are fine.

Just for info - They do sell the soda on the ship as well as a few snacks in the shop, so that might be an option rather than bringing them on board.

Of, course, you will need to get dressed, ( maybe bring your child with you) , go to a bar, order the soda, and bring the soda back to the cabin. May I suggest that you do not get ice, that way it will not be watered down when she is ready to drink it. In fact – you can always get a few earlier in the evening, and hold it in the cabin until she is ready .

Seem like a lot of trouble for a bedtime beverage? Well – those who want other beverages, also not allowed, must follow this process if they want a cocktail in their cabin.

M

You're getting worked up over goldfish and carbonated water? Seriously?

I realize it's the principle here, but come on. I would love to be able to freely bring as much booze as I'd like on the ship, but I can't. So I have other choices, which I avail myself of. If alcohol is so important to you, there are ways to get it. To OP, what's important to her is making sure her 8 year old is comfortable, and if that takes goldfish and water, hey, that's great. If it takes you some vodka, you find a way to get it.

Yes, I think out in the middle of an ocean in a strange place is a wonderful time to try to mix things up with her young child. Especially when it comes to sleeping. :eek:

OP didn't ask for our parenting advice. She just wanted to know if she could bring the stuff with her.

Love it! I think they called that "pwned". :cool:

Snacks are not a problem. I almost always carry on pretzels and candy to feed my junk food habit and have never had a cruise line (including RCCL) blink, let alone give me trouble. I carry in bulk, too, not even politely small packages - a 1lb bag of pretzels and a 1lb bag of sour patch kids, along with some gum and maybe some more candy I bought at the airport, is not unheard of for me.

On the other hand, I give the cruise lines all the money they want for liquids I ingest during the week. So I figure it evens out. :cool:

My point was not about it being mentioned in the same sentence or the number of times it was mentioned. It's more the location. This is an answer to an "FAQ." I challenge you to find it anywhere else other than the FAQ section. I consider the restriction on alcohol more of a "rule" because it is mentioned in the cruise contract and the official "What Not to Pack" list. It might also be in the passenger code of conduct; can't remember for sure. FAQs are just a side note.

The prohibition on bringing non-alcoholic beverages is in deed mentioned in the Guest Conduct Policy in exactly the same unambiguous phrasing. I would not be surprised that the cruise contract incorporates by reference the terms of the Guest Conduct Policy, but whether it does or not, it seems to be a weak argument that such beverages are permitted.

The prohibition on bringing non-alcoholic beverages is in deed mentioned in the Guest Conduct Policy in exactly the same unambiguous phrasing. I would not be surprised that the cruise contract incorporates by reference the terms of the Guest Conduct Policy, but whether it does or not, it seems to be a weak argument that such beverages are permitted.

Ah, so it does. It's under a section of the policy titled "Alcohol," though. It's quite obvious what they are really concerned about, but you are right that it is a rule. I'm not one who thinks that all rules are created equal, so I still think the obvious emphasis on alcoholic beverages disputes the claim that this is "just as much against the rules" as bringing your own wine, but it is still against the rules. :cool:

As far back as I can remember we have brought 2- 12 paks of diet orange soda and diet mt dew plus 24 bottles of water in a roll on soft sided cooler.No ice of course. Put it through with checked luggage and it was in our room. In our suitcases we packed 4 cans pringles to take to the beaches.Sold onboard for 6.00 per can.And also a bag of some type of candy. These were for our b2b cruises. You should have no problem bringing food onboard for your daughter.After a week or 2 on a ship the food gets boring.

Why is is OK ( even praised) to bring soda and snacks on board to avoid the hugh mark-up - but not alcohol.

M

First of all, you will find lots of company in celebrating ways to bring your own alcohol onboard. As for why some people may be against bringing your own alcohol and not the other things, that would be because some people advocate respecting the cruise lines' rules. There are no prohibitions against bringing your own Pringles onboard. There never used to be any rule against bringing on non-alcoholic beverages, but it appears that has recently changed.

I'm not one who feels the need to bring my own food or beverages with me, when I go on a cruise, so I wouldn't fall under the category of praising any of it. But if someone wants to bring their own Pringles, and there is nothing saying you shouldn't, then go for it.

Archived