Best Way for Lunch at Ladera?

BigMattT

Hello!

I'm looking for an alternative to a ship sponsored excursion to Ladera for lunch while in port on the Caribbean Princess in October.

We're not against sightseeing, and might like to see the Botanical gardens and Volcano.... but we're really not interested in the "rum punch road tour of St. Lucia" experience everyone has reviewed with Cosol, etc.

Any suggestions? Anything that takes a water-taxi to get there?

(We're booked with the ship right now unless another 'safe bet' comes along.)

Cheers.

~Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I think we are on the same cruise and I lost a few hours sleep trying to decide between Ladera and a Whale Watching excursion!:rolleyes:

I finally decided to go on the Whale and Dolphin excursion but I would love to hear about your experience if you go to Ladera. The place looks gorgeous and I'm sure the lunch will be amazing.

Would you come back and relate your experience if you do go to Ladera?

If you haven't already, you can join the roll call for this cruise and you may find others interested in going to Ladera. I wish I could be in two places at one time!

I think we are on the same cruise and I lost a few hours sleep trying to decide between Ladera and a Whale Watching excursion!:rolleyes:

I finally decided to go on the Whale and Dolphin excursion but I would love to hear about your experience if you go to Ladera. The place looks gorgeous and I'm sure the lunch will be amazing.

Would you come back and relate your experience if you do go to Ladera?

If you haven't already, you can join the roll call for this cruise and you may find others interested in going to Ladera. I wish I could be in two places at one time!

Definitely. I've searched the forums and can't find much about a day trip/tour to Ladera as a cruise excursion. The excursion is marked "new" on the Princess site.

I'll be sure to post back about our experiences.

(And am also going to post on the roll call.)

~Matt

Thank you so much for offering to come back and post your experience. I will look forward to hearing about your visit to Ladera. I also saw that it is a "new" excursion.

Really, I had to think about this for several days because I couldn't make up my mind because I want to do both!!!

I think this will be a very special time - can't wait to hear about it. I may have to book another cruise that goes to St. Lucia:D

• 2 months later...
Thank you so much for offering to come back and post your experience. I will look forward to hearing about your visit to Ladera. I also saw that it is a "new" excursion.

Really, I had to think about this for several days because I couldn't make up my mind because I want to do both!!!

I think this will be a very special time - can't wait to hear about it. I may have to book another cruise that goes to St. Lucia:D

Just back from the Caribbean Princess cruise. Following our departure, the residents of St. Lucia are now struggling with the destruction from hurricane Tomas... and I hope all the wonderful people we met there are safe and recovering as best as can be expected.

I'm writing this quick review in hopes life will return to normal as quickly as possible and those who visit St Lucia will be able to gain an appreciation for life and culture on that beautiful island as we did last week.

--------------------------

We ended up booking a partial-private land and sea excursion with Lunch at Ladera through Serenity Tours.

Serenity was great to work with, as all the reviews say.

I'd recommend a private tour like this over the ships tour for 2 reasons:

1) Transportation: we were able to stay ahead of crowds, and have just the two of us in a car over to the resort. We also stopped at a few places along the way to break up the monotony of the lengthy trip. The way back was a catamaran which was far more enjoyable than taking the long road back 'home' again.

2) Lunch seating: when we arrived at Ladera, we arrived before the cruise ship group... we chose the best seats to sip our welcome drink in, had an opportunity to take pictures before the rest of the group arrived (and was quite loud...interrupting the serene environment). Furthermore, when we were seated to eat--we chose the table we wanted near the railings with the best view. All the members of the cruise group were seated together at two large tables... My idea of fun isn't sitting with a group of strangers while trying to enjoy a gourmet meal.

I'm sure you can have fun with both options, but for us the Serenity tour was worth its weight in gold.

Thank you so much for coming back and posting your review of Ladera.

I too hope that St. Lucia recovers quickly for all their citizens. I'm sure that tourism is also a big part of the island industry.

Could I ask for a bit more info. on your Ladera excursion. How was the lunch???? I would love to hear what you had to eat - if you don't mind.:rolleyes:

We had a great time on the Whale & Dolphin excursion even if the whales and dolphins did not come out and play - we didn't see any. However the trip around the island was gorgeous and the crew on the boat so nice.

Could I ask for a bit more info. on your Ladera excursion. How was the lunch???? I would love to hear what you had to eat - if you don't mind.:rolleyes:

Lunch was astoundingly good. My partner is from New Orleans--so he knows his seafood--but even he admitted Ladera's lemongrass shrimp (skewered on a lemongrass spear) was the best shrimp he's ever had. We also had the deep-fried feta cheese balls. Both excellent appetizers.

Entrees we did catch of the day (tuna) curried and a fish-cake. Both were out of this world.

Although maybe everything eaten with that view just tastes better. The view is half the excitement of lunch... pictures don't do it justice... its elegant, serene... just lovely.

We had a great time on the Whale & Dolphin excursion even if the whales and dolphins did not come out and play - we didn't see any. However the trip around the island was gorgeous and the crew on the boat so nice.

Was this excursion thru Hackshaw's? Celebrity offers a tour and I believe it is with Hackshaw's and I was interested in whether you felt the boat was crowded or not. Thank you.

Yes - it was with Hackshaws. It was arranged as a private excursion and there were 30 people on the boat. It was very comfortable and the crew were delightful. We were picked up right at the pier to get on the boat.

Unfortunately, we did not see any whales or dolphins but that the chance you take:rolleyes: We all had a great time anyway.

Yes - it was with Hackshaws. It was arranged as a private excursion and there were 30 people on the boat. It was very comfortable and the crew were delightful. We were picked up right at the pier to get on the boat.

Unfortunately, we did not see any whales or dolphins but that the chance you take:rolleyes: We all had a great time anyway.

Thanks. Celebrity has the Hackshaw trip chartered the day we will be there so I think I will go ahead and and book through them. We have been in St. Lucia a number of times and were looking for something a little different. will certainly be warmer that our whale watching trip off the Kenai Penninsula in Alaska :)

Archived