Plus size - post pictures of your dresses please

mollymoo12

I am going on a 18 night cruise in November and have started to look for a few formal dresses but I am not sure what will suit me. I have recently lost some weight and am now a UK size 18-20 (US size 22-24?). I cannot decide if a dress is flattering or not and of course, you never see yourself as others see you.

I think it would be really helpful to see other plus size ladies in their formal gowns as I think I would change my mind about some of the styles I have disregarded if I saw some other ladies in them looking really lovely.

Thank you for your help

June

Edited by mollymoo12

I have a couple pictures on my phone, but for some reason it's really really slow about getting them to my email. Once it arrives there I'll post them. I took photos of the ones I bought on board - the professional ones - since my scanner is broken (having technology issues, clearly)!

Here is the dress that I just bought today. I had a heck of a time finding something in my size (16). It was frustrating, but I am happy that I finally found something. I need to get it hemmed and have the straps taken in. (oh and I found it marked down from $150 to $45 at Dillards - huge plus)

http://www.myshape.com/shop/style/207785?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjfeeds&SID=56p6arqdvn639ai1nj1te1jp13

Christina, your dress is really beautiful. I don't do sleeveless, but if I did I'd order that in a second.

Thank you! I need to have the straps and bottom altered to fit. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but i was happy to finally find something that fit and was reasonable in price.

Love that dress, it is a lovely shade of blue. There were a few other dresses on the site that I liked also.

I think I am being too conservative as I am looking for sleeves to cover up flabby underarms, loose fit to cover up a tummy and the fabric has to be non clingy - is it suprising I never find what I am looking for.

I need to be more open minded as there are loads of sleeveless dresses in plus sizes so there is obviously alot of women buying them and looking very nice - I just need to ignore my hang ups.

I am a plus size woman and have started looking at David's Bridal for formal dresses and have found a couple. When I get them back or go and do the fittings I will take some pictures and post them. I am going to take 2 or 3 for a 14 day cruise because 2 of the dresses I am looking at are tops and skirts so they can be worn with slacks which is what I am considering doing. It also makes only having to take one pair of dress shoes.

Another item I am looking for is some really nice dressy trousers (long length), maybe wide chiffon ones which I can ring the changes with with various tops. Maybe I will have more luck when the winter and Xmas clothes start appearing in the shops.

I just remembered today to look and there's nothing in my email from my own cell phone so will have to re-send. Here are some of the dresses I've chosen to purchase and wear, but none of them are me in them:

brown.jpg

JonesNYreddress.jpg

purpledress-1.jpg

KikkyCat- You look GORGEOUS in red. I too am a fan of the red and love it with the dark hair.

OP- I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this or not, but have you tried igigi.com? They have beautiful dresses.

Kikkycat, those dresses are really lovely on you. i really like the black/white waterfall dress that you also posted a pic of. Just need to find a similar full length version in the UK.

The red dress pics just go to prove that I am being too picky and need to be more open minded as I would not have considered them if I saw them hanging on a rail but seeing them on someone else makes me have a change of mind.

You seem to have so much more choice in the US, I know some will post to the UK but I always worry if things don't fit etc.

June

Edited by mollymoo12

Hi mollymoo, I'm an 18 too (by the way, that's an American size 16) I find Debenhams usually have nice fitting dresses. I don't mind sleeveless - I have too many other bits to worry about ;)! and on board you will see many people who have no hangups about size. Congrats on the weight loss.

Thanks for the kind words. Just for the record, I'm a size 20 (in most things, including all the dresses posted above). So if you're a US size 16 Mollymoo, I'm sure you'd look much better in them than I do (I know I looked better when I was a 16 also!).

The "waterfall" dress - which is actually browns and cream, not black & white - is by R&M Richards. That information might help you find it better in the UK hopefully. The red one and the purple one I am not shown wearing (the purple I actualy have in fuschia, but that's neither here nor there) are both by Jones New York. I don't know if that brand is sold in the UK.

The short red one is from Fashion Bug - pretty sure that's a US only brand. The long red dress says "Fiesta" on the tag but I haven't found any other information about it.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll look lovely!

I have a light-weight double-knit longish black skirt that is a-symetrical with a ruffle at the bottom (looks better than it sounds, lol), and then I find some formal tops to go with. Nothing with glitter (it sheds) but something pretty. That's the easiest for me to do, since I look hideous in dresses (different size top-half and lower-half).

Started shopping today as there are lots of summer sales on. No dresses though, only tops.

I did manage to find some linen trousers for day time, in my size (size smaller-yipee) and they are even long length ones - miracles do happen!

I will check out the website suggestions over the weekend so thank you for all the information.

Kikkycat - thank you for info on dress size (you certainly do not look bigger than a 16), it does help when looking at the pictures.

June

I recently placed an order from Kiyonna. I bought the Tory Cinch Dress and a top. I'm not necessarily plus size, sort of on the border, but I'm having a time accommodating my "rack". I really wanted the 3/4 sleeve Scalloped Boudoir Lace Dress, but it was backordered in the size and color I wanted and I would not have had it in time for our cruise.

http://www.kiyonna.com/

I'm probably older than most of you but thought I'd share my plus size dress. I used a sheer black wrap to hide my upper arms for the pictures.

45482_1566318884793_1440032501_1537850_8024590_n.jpg

Gorgeous! And I think you look younger than I know my age to be! :p (also, thanks for letting me not be the only plus size lady to show her picture on this thread)

I promise you, nobody will be stairing at you saying 'OMG, lookit her ARMS!' What makes a woman beautiful is her confidence. You could wear the most unflattering dress ever but if you are having a great time and exuding a confidence about yourself, nobody will notice if your dress is two sizes too small, too clingy, the worst color ever. I went from a size 3 to a size 20 in just a few years and it's taken me a long time to accept my new shape. Despite the weight gain, people STILL look at me, guys (young guys too!) still flirt with me and ask me out. Just love yourself and everyone else will too.

That said... I would recommend you go to a store and just try on every stlye that comes in your size so you can get an idea of what looks great on you. If a dress is perfect in every way but is sleeveless? Get it! You will look gorgeous. :)