Suggestions for Santorini?

Dannlin

We just booked Odyssey Oct. 30th, Athens to Venice. We'd like to go to Santorini for a few days before. Any suggestions for accomodations? Or would Mykonos be better? How is Athens these days? We were just going to stay one night(day and a half) before the cruise. Is there a roll call for this cruise. I haven't taken the time to search?

Thanks for any info.

We are on the same cruise and I have not seen a roll call. We are arriving three days before and trying to decide what and where to do. If we stay in Athens, we are looking at the King George Hotel. My brother's friend has a home on one of the islands and I asked about Athens or one the islands. Here is his answer-

"Hey there, all is just great here even better than imagined. Easy liven! Your bro should stay around Athens that time of year. The islands are dead."

I have also heard that the ferries are not very reliable in regards to time schedules. I would hate to miss the ship because of a late ferry. Also this is our first time to Athens.

Aloha,

Al

We just booked Odyssey Oct. 30th, Athens to Venice. We'd like to go to Santorini for a few days before. Any suggestions for accomodations? Or would Mykonos be better? How is Athens these days? We were just going to stay one night(day and a half) before the cruise. Is there a roll call for this cruise. I haven't taken the time to search?

Thanks for any info.

The Belvedere in Mykonos is good but October is slightly out of season,so check that things are open.

October is definitely out of season in Mykonos. Many shops and restaurants will be closed but it is still a beautiful time to visit. And it's a much better time to go to Delos as it will not be so hot. However, a few days in Oia on Santorini would be spectacular just for the views and sunsets.

If you have not been to Athens before, I would explore the city. It is really beautiful; especially since the Olympics...many improvements to the Acropolis and Plaka area. We were there at the end of a cruising in 2009 and 2010. It had been eighteen years since our last visit..we were pleasantly surpised. Eighteen years ago, we stayed at the Grande Bretagne (before their badly needed renovation). The last two years we stayed at the King George. On our next trip, we will try the Grande again. If you have an Amex Platinum Card, you will receive nice amenities and a room upgrade at either hotel. The King George has very nice rooms, but the hotel itself is rather sedate..nothing much going on. The Grande Bretagne has a beautiful roof top bar and restaurant. The restaurant in the King George has seen better days. . .but like the Grande has a gorgeous view of the Acropolis.

We are on the same cruise and I have not seen a roll call. We are arriving three days before and trying to decide what and where to do. If we stay in Athens, we are looking at the King George Hotel. My brother's friend has a home on one of the islands and I asked about Athens or one the islands. Here is his answer-

"Hey there, all is just great here even better than imagined. Easy liven! Your bro should stay around Athens that time of year. The islands are dead."

I have also heard that the ferries are not very reliable in regards to time schedules. I would hate to miss the ship because of a late ferry. Also this is our first time to Athens.

Aloha,

Al

I'm beginning to think we should stay in Athens. Sounds like alot of improvements for the Olympics and there is definitely enough to see. Might need a few relaxing days after the long flight, rather than trying to cram too much into the trip. Save the islands for another trip, at a better time of the year.We will be using points to stay at the Marriott.

Should we start a Roll Call for this cruise?

Dannlin

Do it!

I'm beginning to think we should stay in Athens. Sounds like alot of improvements for the Olympics and there is definitely enough to see. Might need a few relaxing days after the long flight, rather than trying to cram too much into the trip. Save the islands for another trip, at a better time of the year.We will be using points to stay at the Marriott.

Should we start a Roll Call for this cruise?

Dannlin

Archived