Port or starboard?

mamoune

Hi, I just booked a cruise to Europe on the Solstice for next May and I was wondering if I should choose a port or starboard balcony cabin. Any advice? My TA thinks port side is better when we actually pull into the various Italy ports, but I am wondering if I would get more sunshine and less wind starboard?

Thanks!

Are you sailing into or out of Venice?

Frankly, I can not think of anyting on any of our Europe trips that would have made any difference for being port or starboard or would lead me to choose one over the other. Exception might be the sail into or out of Venice. If you have a high up veranda cabin you could enjoy this fantastic experiance from your Veranda rather than having to join the crowds on the top deck or other good viewing areas. You'll pass the heart of Venice on the Starboard side sailing in and the port side sailing out.

Hi, I just booked a cruise to Europe on the Solstice for next May and I was wondering if I should choose a port or starboard balcony cabin. Any advice? My TA thinks port side is better when we actually pull into the various Italy ports, but I am wondering if I would get more sunshine and less wind starboard?

Thanks!

It all depends on where you are sailing from and to!!! When we sailed to Venice from Barcelona, we chose port side so we could see the coastline from our veranda; that worked until we rounded the tip of Italy. Then it was all over the place. Not sure about why you would get less wind starboard???

Thanks!

When you say a cruise 'to Europe', did you mean a transAtlantic? Or just a cruise in the Med.? If a TA, you want a starboard cabin for sun on the way across. In the Med., it shouldn't matter. EM

We are in the Med. next May in a SV aft cabin. Will we be able to enjoy the Venice arrival on our balcony?

In your aft cabin you'll have a short view as you pass St. Mark's square but you'll miss the views as you approach Venice. If you're sailing out of Venice I think an aft view would be fantastic, but I'd be up on a forward or high up starboard deck for the sail in.

We had a great aft cabin on a cruise to Venice and headed up to a high up forward looking view on deck when we sailed there in 2007 - here is a video with a little of the view:

Thank you all for your answers. We are cruising the Med and will be in and out of Venice. I guess it is worth it to be port side just for that view alone! We were thinking of choosing a cabin on the 8th or 9th deck. Hope that the smoke won't bother us that high ??? What about the lifeboats on deck 6? Will they block our view from 8th or 9th deck?

Archived