vancouver gaslight restraurant

joeyg

The correct name is Gastown - the one place that comes to mind is the Old Spaghetti Factory - it is a favorite plce of mind - get there early as it fills up quickly - they may take reservations for larger groups. Here's the link:

http://www.oldspaghettifactory.ca/locations/british_columbia/

Here's a link to Gastown's web site:

http://www.gastown.org and will try and find the one for the restaurant - it is similar to the chain in the US by the same name.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Ut is right on with the Old Spaghetti Factory in Gastown, I can't think of any other "family" restaurant in Gastown and the next closest that comes comes to mind would be the White Spot at Seymour and Georgia, about a 7 block walk. However if we knew what you were looking for in terms of menu items and price point we may be of more help. link

The last time we sailed out of Vancouver, we walked over to Gastown looking for a family-style restaurant, and found the Old Spaghetti Factory. We enjoyed our dinner very much. Good choice in our book.

Unless I really hated my family and wanted to punish them, I would never take them to Old Spaghetti Factory. Vancouver is the best city in Canada for food, don't waste your time on a horrible chain.

Sorry I can't offer you alternatives however - my family consists of myself and my wife and we typically avoid what are thought of as 'family' restaurants. But have you thought of trying chowhound.com forums - look at the British Columbia board, there are great recommendations there, far better than anything I've ever seen mentioned here.

We really enjoyed Steamworks Brewing Company restaurant, which is right around the corner from the Pan Pacific in Gastown. Good food, fun atmosphere, and an easy walk for all ages. Barb

Steamworks is an excellent choice and I think they allow children in a portion of it. However bear in mind that it is a pub environment and entrees are typically in the range of $15 to $25 which may be above what one would expect to pay in a "family" restaurant.

I'm afraid that the only 'family' restaurant in Gastown is, as earlier posters have said, OSF. Personally, I would rather go to one of the food fairs in the area. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but you'll get better (and cheaper!) food at a food-fair. Steamworks is a good compromise, but the food is not spectacular either (standard pub fare), although quite a good selection as I recall. The part that is accessible to families is the street-level room I believe. Enjoy Vancouver!

Steamworks is an excellent choice and I think they allow children in a portion of it. However bear in mind that it is a pub environment and entrees are typically in the range of $15 to $25 which may be above what one would expect to pay in a "family" restaurant.

Here is the website for Steamworks. There is an outdoor eating area that is nice. It is right at the beginning of Gastown. They have very good burgers and pizza.

My sister took her kids there and they loved it.

It's funny how if the Old Spaghetti Factory is so poor that there are line-ups for dinner every night. Granted it isn't gourmet Italian but their prices reflect that. Check out the all inclusive menu menu Hey, it's cheap and it's fun.

Couldn't agree more PD - guess you are inside today - raining for the first time in over a month here in the big city.

Actually had to look for a pair of long pants, rain jacket and umbrella.

Cheers

Dennis

It's funny how if the Old Spaghetti Factory is so poor that there are line-ups for dinner every night. Granted it isn't gourmet Italian but their prices reflect that. Check out the all inclusive menu menu Hey, it's cheap and it's fun.

We've had waits at the Olive Garden of 45 minutes in the past. The only reason we went was because we had gift cards. We were disappointed each time we went. I would think this OSF is probably similar to Olive Garden.

Chain restauants are just that...chain restaurants. People go because they are familiar with the name and they don't have to make a choice. But, there are many small restaurants with decent pricing and good food available all over the world. People do not have to settle for chain restaurant food.

We have 2 Olive Garden gift cards on my desk right now. One is from over a year ago, the other I just got yesterday. Quite a dilemma...free mediocre food.

We've had waits at the Olive Garden of 45 minutes in the past. The only reason we went was because we had gift cards. We were disappointed each time we went. I would think this OSF is probably similar to Olive Garden.

I hate to admit it but I would have to say that the Olive Garden is better than the OSF. But for a family or people on a budget....It's cheap and it's fun; and with lineups at any location I have been to, lots of people seem to agree. I often remember someone telling me "how many people ever admit they go to McDonald's and yet with no one going they continue to grow and prosper".:confused:

I hate to admit it but I would have to say that the Olive Garden is better than the OSF. But for a family or people on a budget....It's cheap and it's fun; and with lineups at any location I have been to, lots of people seem to agree. I often remember someone telling me "how many people ever admit they go to McDonald's and yet with no one going they continue to grow and prosper".:confused:

Cheap and mediocre food for families on budgets is how restaurants get to be popular. Many people don't care if they are good as long as they fill their stomach for as little money as possible, and maybe put crayons on the table for the kids. Hence the popularity of Olive Garden, Spaghetti Factory...

Life is too short to eat bad food or drink bad wine.

Cheap and mediocre food for families on budgets is how restaurants get to be popular. Many people don't care if they are good as long as they fill their stomach for as little money as possible, and maybe put crayons on the table for the kids. Hence the popularity of Olive Garden, Spaghetti Factory...

I think most of us understand that but the original request was for the name of a family restaurant close to the Pan Pacific...can you suggest one?

We will be staying at the Pan Pacific in two weeks and we are looking for a family restraurant in the gaslight district for dinner. Any suggestions.

If you need a family type of restaurant, Gastown is probably not the best place to look.

If there's no particular reason that you must eat in Gastown, you'd be better off walking up to Robson Street where there a dozens of moderately-priced restaurants. One "family" restaurant that comes to mind is Red Robin on Thurlow.

Archived