So. America on QM2 in 2006

sailwithsinbad

Hi Sailwithsinbad,

We received a preview brochure "The Path of Magellan" which lists a 38 day cruise from NYC to LA with calls in St Kitts, Barbados, Salvador de Bahia (Brazil), Rio, Montevideo, Ushuaia (Argentina) Punta Arenas, Puerto Mont (Chile), Valparaiso, Callao, Esmeraldas (Equador), Fuerte Amador (Panama), Puerto Caldera, Acapulco and LA. Sail dates are Jan 15, 2006 and (reverse) March 8, 2006, with a 3 day local and an 11 day LA-Hawaii in between.

Segments are: NY-Rio, Rio-Valparaiso, Valparaiso-LA, and the reverse of these. (Segments are 12 to 14 days). We booked with Cunard and transferred our booking to a travel agent. I think this will be an awesome cruise. If you have any questions please ask.

Rick J

We just returned from the QM2 and inquired at the Cruise Sales Office about this cruise while we were onboard. We were told that the segment from Rio to Valparaiso is filling up quickly. In fact, a couple of people that we met booked that segment during our cruise. If you are interested in that segment I would suggest you call Cunard soon.

Thank you Rick and Imacruiser for the informative suggestions.

I am not well versed enough in the ways of cruising to understand your booking, Rick. Why do you, and how do you book with the cruise line then move the booking to an agent? We are most interested in this cruise, and would like to have the "Path of Magellan" brochure. I'll inquire of Cunard.

Dear Sailwithsinbad,

I booked directly with Cunard, as the booking information had not been received by the travel agents yet. I have the feeling that the prior passengers (World Club) were notified before the information was released to the general public. I then transferred the booking to my regular travel agent who will keep an eye on prices (Cunard told me if the price dropped, they would adjust it). The agent will also provide a few "goodies" for booking through them. Goodies can be anything from cabin credits, to excursions, to welcome parties, etc.

I notice that you are from the West Coast. Last year when we booked air through Cunard (departed from Spokane) they gave us a "forced overnight" in NYC which was very nice...a room in the Sheraton Towers hotel and limo transfers included for the same price. Maybe the TA can't do as well...we'll see.

Rick

• 4 months later...

Thanks to information posted on this forum, we asked our TA to check on cabin credits available to 2004 cruisers. We were given $50 per day pp by Cunard for the trip ($3800). The TA said he has never seen such a credit in all his years in the business. Thanks everyone for your posts.

Rick J

• 3 weeks later...

Archived