mps lady anne and mps amsterdam

exbodcon

Thanks for the response Poppy. I am very interested in your earlier comments and would ask you

1. What are you comparing your holiday with RCL against - i.e. have you taken previous river cruises?

2. When you say the food was bad, was this because it was not english, -do they only serve german food?

3. Although you say that the company didn't give a damn regarding your complaints, what about on board the ship - were the cruise staff on board OK or was there also a problem with them, if so what?

4. What type of cabin did you have, main deck or promanade deck?

5. Did the itinery change from the stated one in your booking and if so was this due to falling water levels?

Thanks in advance for your response to these queries.

Cheers, Sue

Hi Sue,

We all have different tastes and I look forward to your post when you return.

In answer to your questions this was our experience:

1.We have been on 9 river cruises and this was by far the worst.

2.The soup had different names each evening but was out of the same packet/tin, the 'gammon' was out of a tin and the puddings still frozen. Meals in general were canteen quality. We shared a table for 6 and there was little room for the elbows. The guy next to me wore the same T shirt each evening to display his body art!

3. The staff were ok except for the cruise director, but the evening entertainment was more of the same.

4.We had a cabin on the top deck which was small. If you are on the lower deck be careful because it did look dangerous and if there were a fire down in the engine room it might be difficult to escape.

5.Our itinerary did change to fit in with the personal arrangements of the cruise director.

If you have been on sea cruises before then brace yourself for something different.........we wouldn't go back with this company again but your tastes might be different to ours.

Keep us posted.

Hi Sue,

2.The soup had different names each evening but was out of the same packet/tin, the 'gammon' was out of a tin and the puddings still frozen. Meals in general were canteen quality. We shared a table for 6 and there was little room for the elbows. The guy next to me wore the same T shirt each evening to display his body art!

3. The staff were ok except for the cruise director, but the evening entertainment was more of the same.

4.We had a cabin on the top deck which was small. If you are on the lower deck be careful because it did look dangerous and if there were a fire down in the engine room it might be difficult to escape.

5.Our itinerary did change to fit in with the personal arrangements of the cruise director.

If you have been on sea cruises before then brace yourself for something different.........we wouldn't go back with this company again but your tastes might be different to ours.

Keep us posted.

Thank, Poppy and Bill for your replies. I do not work for this company!! We booked a 'last minute' cruise for this Monday just 2 weeks ago, never having been on a river cruise before. After we had booked and paid in full, I came acrossd this forum and started to get worried, so much so that I wrote to RCL asking for their assurance that the cruise would be as described in their brochure and trouble free. I received a very speedy and positive response from them. I have contacted them twice since with other questions and both times received a phone call within hours. I was just interested to hear what in fact Poppy felt so aggrieved about and wondered whether it might be because the expectations were high if she had not tried a river cruise before. However, I see now from reading Bill's comments that even seasoned river cruisers are unhappy about this company and its cruises. I will post back on here my experiences when we arrive back in early September - watch this space!

Sorry Sue didnt finish answering your questions but salad muncher has helped. staff OK till 75% of passengers took ill.were given polythene bags to throw up in. awfull.Cabin good with bath only 2 like it but cost £1980 for 7 days. 3rd day had to sail to dry dock in Rotterdam [what a dump dumped in Amsterdam for day people still being ill.then back to koln through industrial countryside and home thank god. Salad muncher made comment about the soup it was at best pkt soup but i think it was the old washing up water. Let us know how you get on and the best of luck

also wanted to say that we wrote and complained on our return several times but never got any reply from RCL at all .3 of the other passengers are taking RCL to court as we speak. Oh and Sue keep an eye on your underwear mine went missing for 2 days and then suddenly reappeared. Also dont pin too much on the evening entertainment its 1 guy playing the same somgs on a key board eveynight. Even the wonderful ice cream cake on the last nights captains "party" was frozen from Lidel !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Sue,

Keep us posted.

Dear All

I have just submitted a post with my review of this trip on the River cruises notice board. Please do read it! Regards, Sue

Sue have read your "report" and am glad that you had a good time. I cant comment on the Amsterdam we were on the Lady Anne which really is a disaster waiting to happen. If I recall she was actually built over 100 years ago and should really be scrapped. Also we paid approx £300 per day! I know for a fact that there are several people who were on our cruise who are taking this to court not only because of the awfull conditions and food on the lady Anne but also due to the sickness on board which many of them suffered. Perhaps this company have started getting their act together at last or perhaps the Amsterdam is a nicer vessle with a better crew. As I said glad you enjoyed it and my advuse would be if you go again dont book the Lady Anne

Sue have read your "report" and am glad that you had a good time. I cant comment on the Amsterdam we were on the Lady Anne which really is a disaster waiting to happen. If I recall she was actually built over 100 years ago and should really be scrapped. Also we paid approx £300 per day! I know for a fact that there are several people who were on our cruise who are taking this to court not only because of the awfull conditions and food on the lady Anne but also due to the sickness on board which many of them suffered. Perhaps this company have started getting their act together at last or perhaps the Amsterdam is a nicer vessle with a better crew. As I said glad you enjoyed it and my advuse would be if you go again dont book the Lady Anne

Hi Poppy

thanks for the response. Looking at what you said previously, you paid £1980 for 7 days, this equates to £141 per person per day, (unless you mean £1980 each, which is £282 per day). This is still quite lot lower than the Viking or Avalon cruises. We paid £1120 each for 8 days, ie £157 per person per day. Viking, Avalon etc. charge around £350 upwards per day! Anyhow as you say you were on the Lady Anne, which is a totally different boat and crew. However I can only give my views regarding River Cruise Line and they were excellent, as good as any I used before. Hope you manage to find a cruise you enjoy soon and of course that you will write a review on here for us all to read! Best wishes Sue :)

Hi Sue,

So glad you enjoyed your cruise on MPS Amsterdam. Noticed from replies that everyone seems to have paid qite a lot for their trip, we only paid £79 per night (each) for ours so were very pleased with it.

Many thanks for you response. I know we paid more because we choose a cabin on the promenade deck. The lower deck was cheaper, in fact there was someone on our trip who booked a few days before and only paid £500! I did have a peek at the lower deck cabins and really the only difference I could see was that they only had a small high window where you could only look at the sky rather than the passing scenery, whereas the promenade cabins have a big picture window. Overall I felt it was a good experience and good value for money. Best wishes Sue

• 2 weeks later...

I think we may have done the same cruise as 'Salad Muncher' but our experience was somewhat different.

First of all the vessel itself must be over 50 years old and well past its sell-by date.

The standard of the food was appalling in terms of both quality and choice but, if you enjoy food from a tin, packet or the freezer then this is a cruise made for you.... just don't expect anything that is fresh or tasty.

The dining room was cramped and totally unsatisfactory for the number of passengers on-board.

The cabins were described to us by the Tour Guide as 'bijou'. They were certainly tiny but far from elegant.

There was a smell of sewerage in the toilet/shower room for the whole of the cruise and our friends on the lower deck could also smell diesel fumes. Some of the cabins near the front on the lower deck were not really fit for 2 people.

The noise from the engine during the night-time sailings was horrendous.

We weren't expecting much in the way of entertainment and therefore were not disappointed by what was on offer.

The highlight of the holiday for us was disembarking and returning home.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Our cruise with The River Cruise Line on the MPS Lady Anne from April 30th 2012 to May 7th 2012 by rent15c.

We are in our early 60s and consider ourselves to be fairly fit and easy going. We have travelled on ocean cruises many times and with a number of cruise companies. We have had package holidays and travelled independently over the years. We consider we are fairly well travelled, but a week on the MPS Lady Anne has left us with a brand new meaning to the word cruising! A pending court case has prevented us from writing sooner.

We booked this holiday through RiverVoyages.com (also trading as 118.com) two weeks before departure. They were very pleasant over the phone explaining how nice it was and what good value for money with only two cabins left, slightly pressured selling ie if you don't move quick they will be gone! We explained that we had never been on a river cruise before but were assured that it was better than an ocean cruise and so much more relaxing.

The first night we stayed in a nice modern 4 star hotel in Ashford, Kent where we parked our car for the week. The coach picked us up at 8.30am prompt and took us to Dover for the 10am ferry to Calais, although the ferry turned out to be running about an hour late. From Calais we drove through France and Belgium into Germany, arriving in Andernach at 7.45pm with just three half hour stops on the way. At this point we hadn't realised just how long and arduous the coach journey would be and how boring it became. On embarkation we were told that dinner was late and would be served at 8.15pm. On the way down into Andernach the cruise director told us that the cabins were small, exremely small, but we were not worried because we had been told and it was on our invoice that we had a double room with a double bed.

As soon as we saw the cabin and before we unpacked we knew it wasn't going to be for us and at this point understood fully what the cruise director meant. I spoke to the cruise director Brenda Moir straightaway explaining that we just could not stay there and would be prepared to pay the extra cost for a larger cabin. She said that she could see we were very upset, but that there was nothing else she could offer us. She told us that there wasn't a double bed on the boat and that all the bunks were the same. "Surely you should have been made aware of the size of these cabins prior to booking the holiday" she said. Of course we weren't! Then she said "try and make do, give it a couple of days and you will get used to it"! All this was taking place prior to dinner at 8.15pm and it was getting dark by then.

After a sustained journey of eleven hours we were extremely tired and hungry. Arguing was not going to change anything. Needless to say we did not get used to it at all. We both suffered from neck, back and arm pains for some time afterwards. Neither of us are small people and I am about 6' 2" so we had great difficulty moving about the cabin. It was very very small and cramped. It contained two very uncomfortable bunk style beds with 6" thick mattresses in solid wooden frames like trays that were approximately 2' 6" wide. One of these two beds was closed up during the day leaving a tiny, well used bench seat to sit on that measured approximately 3' long by 12" wide. At night sleeping on this pull-out bed was extremely uncomfortable, not only to get on and off, but having to lie under the shelf above without knocking one's shoulders or knees on the edge.

The whole cabin (if that is what you call it!) measured just 12' long and 6' 6" wide. Included within this area was a shower and toilet closet with sliding door and a basin on a brown wood vanity unit in the main room. There was a spray soap dispenser of the type found in public toilets. When the second bed was opened there remained a gap of just 18" between the edge of the bed and the sliding door to the shower closet.  

My partner's legs were badly bruised from sitting on the solid wooden edge of the bed and generally moving about the cabin, which was very well used and tatty - a small miserable space! The toilet was flushed by river water so was always a brownish colour. Even that broke down twice during our stay and completely by the last night.

We have many other concerns regarding this trip such as the quality of the food. It was not as advertised in our opinion, as it consisted mainly of frozen, tinned or dried ingredients out of packets. The chicken drumsticks one lunchtime tasted reheated and had very little colour to them. The soup was nearly always so watery that you couldn't taste what flavour it was meant to be. One evening the broccoli was served in a ramakin with the main meal, cheese was melted on the top it's true, but the broccoli was a greener shade of brown and when lifted out half the ramakin was full of hot water. We did not consider this to be "home from home cooking" as advertised. Breakfast consisted mainly of bulk purchased budget food as did lunch which again consisted of budget fare. We were asked not to linger over meals as we were told that the staff needed to eat and there was no staff canteen or other facilities on the boat. After all they had to eat too. In fact there was an area of the bar that was reserved for staff only and we were told "don't touch the biscuits or peanuts as these belong to the staff and are for them only." The whole trip was run a bit like Maplins Hi-Di-Hi style and everyone had to shout back "excellent!" to the cruise director at frequent intervals when she asked "how was that?". Staff numbered around 20 including the captain and there were around 80 passengers. Our table in the dining room was a table for four set for six so was very cramped. There was no open seating as stated on our invoice. If you missed a course you went without! Also, you had to choose the main course out of two, either fish or meat the night before and if you didn't like what you had chosen - then tough, meaning "you chose it - you eat it!" type of attitude. There was nothing else!

There was no radio or TV at all. The only entertainment consisted of one man playing an electronic piano and singing, followed by karaoke till late. One night this karaoke went on till after 1.30am and as our 'cabin' number 68 was situated right under the bar and dance floor, we got no sleep.

There were five decks in all. All were accessed by extremely steep stairs like ladders. However there were chair lifts and it did state in the brochure that it was not for wheelchair bound passengers. The lowest deck held staff accomodation and although it was not out of bounds we did not venture that far as it was accessed via a very steep spiral staircase. The next deck held the dining room and kitchen which was air-conditioned but still very hot without windows that opened and was very cramped when full. One wonders if anything happened such as fire, how you would get 90 - 100 people out of this cramped space quickly. The next deck was the main deck which held a tiny shop and most of the cabins. Above that was the deck with captain's cabin, further larger passenger cabins, a small reception area, two toilets and the bar. The bar could seat around 100 people, included a small dance floor and was quite pleasant. We found the price of drinks was reasonable, for example a bottle of house wine cost 12 Euros, a half litre of German beer was 4.5 Euros and a glass of wine was 3.5 Euros. These were purchased by way of a credit voucher system whereby you bought a card of credit for 25.50 or 100 Euros and each drink you had was deducted. On the top deck was the bridge where the captain navigated. This had a folding covered area that could be lowered for sailing under bridges. However, this deck was constantly in use by smokers of cigarettes, pipes and cigars. They sat in the covered area when it was wet naturally, so if you didn't like the smell of smoke you couldn't go up there. There were picnic tables and chairs and two exercise bikes as well.

The boat only cruised during the day and often didn't moor up till 3.30pm and sometimes much later. If one went ashore it had to be a very short visit or there was no time to get ready for dinner which was at 7.15pm sharp, often not finishing till 8.30 when it was getting dark allowing no time for sight seeing. The first evening in Andernach we didn't wait for coffee and we left the table at 10pm. The service at meals was extremely slow most of the time, with plates having to be passed down the table to us at the end as there was no room for waiters to move in between tables.

The last two days over the weekend were spent travelling back down the River Moselle to Koblenz which was pretty boring. All we could do was try and find somewhere to sit in the bar that was quiet so we could read. A stock of good books was a must! There was nothing else to do. Yes we could have gone on a coach trip, but the thought of sitting on the coach all day, when we had a further 11 hours travelling home the next day to look forward to, put us right off that idea! When we finally arrived at the town at 4.30pm everything was shut because it was the weekend.

Towards the end of the week the boat moored doubled up next to another boat, so that you had to climb onto the other boat and across to go ashore which seemed quite hazardous in the rain. I said to the coach driver "...is this usual?" "...Oh yes...." he said. "At New Year I have seen three or four boats locked together in this way. It's not unusual. That's how it's done."

That night was very difficult because our window looked directly into the cabin of the other boat which was 18 inches away and we had to close the window most of the night because of diesel fumes and cigarette smoke which drifted in. This made for a further hot and sleepless night, as the window was our only form of ventilation.

We would not consider this to be a "Magical Cruise on the Moselle" as advertised. It was a basic boat trip on the river and bore little resemblance to ocean cruising. It was an experience that we would not want to repeat. It wasn't a holiday but more of an endurance test that took several weeks to get over. We did have big expectations of this trip and it does sound nice and romantic to be going on a trip on the Moselle and Rhine. The scenery becomes boring when looking at mile upon mile of vinyards growing on hillsides that were not even in leaf when we went. The architecture was very nice in places, but we saw very little of Germany, nor in fact did we sample German food. The MPS Lady Anne is owned and run by the captain. We found the staff to be very pleasant and have no criticism of them, but the food was poor.

We had a thoroughly unpleasant experience and would not recommend it. We tried to complain, but it wasn't until we issued court proceedings that we got the attention of 118.com and the booking company's operations manager. Writing letters of complaint achieved nothing. Even when threatening court proceedings we received silly insignificant letters containing every excuse under the sun from various members of staff, making us feel that it was our fault that the holiday they sold us didn't come up to expectation. This attitude changed quite quickly when we applied to the small claims court who served papers on the booking firm. All of a sudden we had their attention! Still the tone of their letters was not one of apology but high-handed, offering begrudgingly small sums to settle out of court and intimating that if we didn't settle to their 'generous offers' we would have to pay large costs. Needless to say they didn't have a leg to stand on and had to settle for what we asked for to keep it out of court.

So on reflection it was a very poor holiday for the money. We have never had to complain to this extent before. We would never book with The River Cruise Line again. We found them arrogant with very little customer care. We believe companies selling these holidays knowing full well that they only meet the basic requirements, should be clamped down on and made to explain exactly what you are getting for your money at the time of purchase. So it would be our advice to really do your homework and read reviews before booking. We do accept that you can't please everyone all the time and suppose that some people found it acceptable, but the immediate people we spoke to all said they wouldn't do it again and that it was expensive for what you got. Remember the name: the MPS Lady Anne!

Good Luck from rent15c!

Hear Hear well said and well done Rent 15c. Do try to get compensation and a refund Hairy Biker, others on the cruise from hell Lady Anne we were on also suceeded ,we got a full refund from our Credit card company under section 75 the sale of goods act 1974[or it may be the other way round!]they then took RCL to court to get their money back,so it can be done. Has anyone heard from Watchdog something really has to be done about this dreadful company.

• 2 months later...

Well done River Cruise Line :) - we have just returned from the 4 day German markets cruise (7th December 2012) and enjoyed every minute of it. So ok, we experienced considerable delays due to adverse weather conditions both on crossing the channel and indeed on route to Andernach to rendezvous with the mps Lady Anne. These delays were hardily the fault of the company and indeed the entire coach load of passengers were all treated with the greatest of respect at all times, even down to providing us with sufficient funding to buy a meal en route as we were to arrive at the ship far too late to sit down for our evening meal.

The cabins on the mps Lady Anne , although laughably small, were comfortable and I suppose adequate for this style of trip. Overall, all our party were most impressed with the ship, the ships company, the food provided and the exceptional attentiveness and friendliness of all the staff. The evening entertainment was the icing on the cake too. The picture postcard snow laden hills which had caused our initial delay, made the whole Xmas experience more magical, especially for those in our party who had never visited Germany before. It will certainly be a trip we will do again. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We read the forum about Lady Anne prior to our trip over Christmas. I was a little concerned as a result. However, despite the Rhine being over 4 meters above normal levels, causing the Captain some problem when trying to find a suitable mooring, we enjoyed our experience.

Yes, the cabins were only 'Twins' but we coped. they were a little cramped and again we coped. The stairs are steep but try descending backwards as you would on a ladder and all is well. Both the Lady Anne and Amsterdam are old ships, the Lady Anne is 106 years old, in fact. (As can be read about in the folder on the reception counter). She has been modified and improved over the years.

One passenger couple said they would not have booked if they had known there were no lifts! So why did they not ask before making that booking?

The food was, in our experience excellent. Yes only three options; meat, fish or veggie. We had no trouble with any of it; there was always something that we enjoyed. The soup was fine.

The entertainment was not World class but who would expect it to be? It was, however very entertaining. Four of us booked for the trip and we then found a very compatible couple who became 'The family' for the trip. The staff managed to get us on a table for six after a helpful couple agreed to change tables, which was very kind of them. While cruising we sat in the lounge with a drink watching the passing vistas with interest. The occasional commentary was useful and interesting.

Evening wise, after dinner, most of the passengers assembled in the lounge and joined in some 'Fun and games' created by the staff, who were very friendly and helpful. Christmas night was marked by a 'Best funny hat competition' Which my wife won with a 'Model' created from some Christmas decorations swiftly bought the day before for half price, in a department store!

Another surprise came when the Captain turned into the Star Turn with an excellent singing voice! He did the same a couple of nights later at his Captains Night with a remarkable rendition of several Elvis Presley songs.

I should also mention that the Captain was seen more than once with his sleeves rolled up assisting his crew with manual tasks.

The high water level on the river did cause some change of itinerary but this was done for safety reasons and in no way could be blamed on the ship or the company. It made little difference to our enjoyment of the cruise.

The two ships were moored alongside each other throughout the trip which meant we had to climb over the Amsterdam or they over us but we all did it and I certainly did not hear any complains.

This was not like an ocean cruise but we worked that one out before booking. It was a different and enjoyable experience and one which we will repeat in the future.

It is always useful to research your holiday make sure it is suitable for you.

All in all we had a very enjoyable Christmas cruise with The Lady Anne.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well,well well looks like River Cruise Line have at long last realised they were running a dismall ship and have started to do something about but not without previous customers going to hell and back .

Oh no they haven't my wife and I were on the Lady Anne early October. On the 4th night my wife was very ill with diarrheor she had fainted and seriously dehydrated. Rather than get a doctor to her they told us to get off the boat and we had no idea were we were. They said we had been trouble from the first day. We are vegetarians and they could not provide meals for us - that was trouble? We had to pay our own was back. We are both 73 my wife is a cancer patient and we arrived at Gatwick late at night on route to Dover with nowhere to stay. Needless to say we have a court case pending against River Cruise Line. If there is anybody out there who has had a case against that company previously that could act as a witness for me I would gladly pay their travel and Hotel expenses.

Dear Finchfield31,

We are sorry you had such a poor experience. It would appear that the River Cruise Line are now advertising the same holidays, many of which include free bus tours; to try and break up the monotony no doubt. As we stated in our review the food was awful and it really doesn't surprise us that they could not cater effectively for vegetarians.

Unfortunately you do need as much written evidence as you can get if it is your intention to go to court. Issuing threats and writing letters of complaint doesn't work. They really have no interest and all you'll get from various members of staff with managerial titles, is every reason under the sun why you are wrong in complaining and how they are not at fault in any way. The parent company 118.com do not seem to have any customer care once you've been on their holiday and are really not interested in your complaints. They do sit up and it is quite an awakening call if and when you issue court proceedings. Then they offer you small amounts begrudgingly and it would be our advice to stick with it and claim all your expenses as well. When you win be certain to claim back the court costs. Once they realise that you are serious about going to court you will get letters from their heirarchy, but still they will try and talk down to you. Do not be put off! It can be done without solicitors and without even going to court once you have issued a claim through the court. We were successful in our claim which was settled prior to the court case, however they did leave it to the final days to send a cheque.

We do wish you well.

Kind regards,

Rent15c

Archived