Vancouver Airport, allow time

CALMOM

I'd like to point out/correct a few things I've noticed in the previous posts

• Canada does not have 'TSA'; it is the CATSA/ACSTA (The English version is the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority, ACSTA is the French name). There are some slight differences between what CATSA and what the TSA allow; visiting the CATSA web site will help clarify that.
  • The checkpoint into the transborder wing at YVR must not only comply with CATSA/ACSTA rules, but there are additional rules that the United States require USA bound flights to follow; such as the zero-carryon rule from earlier this year. As the transborder wing is isolated from the rest of the airport, this particular checkpoint will be more harsh, as there are more rules to handle, vs a domestic, or other international flight/checkpoint at YVR.
  • The limit for liquids/gels, is the same as the US rule, being 100mL (approx 3.5 fl oz). If someone's jar of jam exceeds 100mL it would be impounded by CATSA in the same way it would be impounded by the TSA. In the case that CATSA (or the TSA) impound something from anyone, there's always a little follow up.
  • Lastly, while the jar of jam might have made it past security, it wouldn't have made it past the US CBP officers who are supposed to stop the entry of "... products made from animal or plant materials" http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/border_security/port_activities/agro_inspection/notice_travelers.ctt/notice_travelers.pdf

Lastly, I'm sorry to hear that CATSA were harsh enough to make a great grandmother cry; and I'm pretty sure that the great-grandmother in herself did not pose a huge security threat. However, do you really think that the TSA would have handled it much differently?

I apologize for not knowing the correct name of Canada's security, I am an American. The jam was in a jar the size of a small baby food jar, so I would estimate about 2 oz. jar.

I don't really know what you mean by "zero-carryon", every passenger had a carry on.

I don't think the CATSA intentionally tried to upset the woman. It has nothing to do with whether it being TSA or CATSA, it is human compassion and understanding. You can still do your job without being rude.

ANother question: What time does the airport actually open for business? Need to return rental car, check baggage, get through cutoms in time for a 6:15 AM Monday flight on United. I don't want to show up at 3:15 AM if there's no one there!

Melissa

I apologize for not knowing the correct name of Canada's security, I am an American. The jam was in a jar the size of a small baby food jar, so I would estimate about 2 oz. jar.

"Estimate" is probably the issue. CATSA is required to check all liquids.

As for it being CATSA vs TSA, I was merely clarifying your point; by correcting the name of the security agency involved.

I don't really know what you mean by "zero-carryon", every passenger had a carry on.

note I said "From earlier this year"; and later clarified to point out it's no longer in effect. It was an example of where CATSA at the transborder wing is more secure than CATSA in the domestic wing of the airport

I don't think the CATSA intentionally tried to upset the woman. It has nothing to do with whether it being TSA or CATSA, it is human compassion and understanding. You can still do your job without being rude.

Again; Is this really any different than any security group in any country (TSA/CATSA/whoever)? I've yet to come across the friendly types working at the airport, let alone any with a sense of humour.

I think the no-carry on was earlier this year. We did Vancouver-Newark NJ last month & took our carry ons-no problem! I didn't notice any stricter check in with security, but it DID take over an hour in line to check our luggage and it wasn't a very long line! On the positive side, luggage carts are free & a good place to park yourself while waiting! Turns out that our flight was delayed several hours, so it was no problem. Always remember-it may be fine where you are, but there could be a problem where you plane is coming from!

I think the no-carry on was earlier this year.

It was imposed temporally at the request of the US shortly after the underwear bomber incident last winter. Canada was one of, if not the only country, that complied with the request.

To add another anecdotal datapoint, I submit a report on our self-debarkation from Celebrity Millennium to YVR on the morning of Friday, August 6. After reading CC boards I approached catching our 11:30 morning flight from YVR to Houston with trepidation. Gladly, it all went swimmingly, way better than expected. YMMV.

On the first day of our Seward to Vancouver southbound our family signed up for self debarkation, meaning we would be the first off the ship after docking at 7:00 am and have to carry all our bags. The ship docked on time at Canada Place and we reported to our assigned departure lounge for the 7:25 line. The line began moving on time and we were off the ship and in the ship terminal at 7:40. We walked outside to the Waterfront train station and boarded the 8:00 rail to YVR. We were inside the airport at 8:25, just as the Continental desk was opening. We completed checkin, baggage, security, and customs/immigration smoothly and at exactly 9:25 we were inside the gate /duty free area: 2 hours before our flight. Big sigh of relief. :)

In this early morning instance at least, every step in the self transfer worked well.

Archived