Snorkel for those that are near-sighted?

imasundrop

Hi,

My husband is nearsighted and only wears glasses. We're thinking about snorkeling at Grand Turk but I'm wondering if he'll be able to see fish? I'm assuming you cannot wear glasses under the snorkel lens so any advice or experience will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Tammy

Some of the dive rental shops have masks with corrective lenses. Try checking ahead of your trip to see if they are available. I have a strong Rx but can see underwater well with lenses purchased from Scubatoys.com. Their customer service was terrific when I accidentally ordered the wrong strength. Note: The correct Rx for me was two diopters less than my regular Rx. The water magnification makes up for the two diopter difference.

If you are interested in snorkeling but not often the larger dive shops have pop in lenes that cover just the middle of the mask. Yes, you neeed to buy a mask, but a good one

($60), does not pay to get one that will not fit well and be comfortable, and the pop-in lens ($40) and you will be able to see 75% as well as a prescription made mask for

$300.You can get a snorkel from the outfit that takes you snorkeling unless you plan to go 2+ times more than $25 buys you an o.k. snorkel. By the way, where we are going in Grand Turk is not the best snorkeling of all our ports, Dominica and Tobago and less so Virgin Gorda are better but Grand Turk does not have much else to offer.

• 1 month later...

Before I got contact lenses, I had this same problem. I took the bows off an old pair of glasses & attached a piece of flat elastic that held the glasses onto my face. The glasses fit under the mask, the mask didn't leak, & I could see!

Daily Contact Lenses - My husband NEVER wore contacts - but he does just for snorkeling and it is totally worth it for him. If you explain it to the eye doc they will write you a script and then you can buy a small pack of dailies - then just toss them after. The problem with the script mask (other than cost) is that your depth perception and looking through the camera can be challenging - much better with the contacts - plus then you can see when you get out of the water!

I used to do the deconstructed-glasses-stuck-in-the-mask trick until I found a bargain-priced corrective mask from BodyGlove. OK, I got it real cheap on eBay, but even so, you can find it for about $60 retail. Thing is, it only comes in three strengths, but, amazingly, adapts to a range of corrections. I got the "strong" and it works perfectly. MUCH better than the jerry-rigged option, which always seemed to fog up below 30 feet.

• 2 weeks later...

I am near-sighted since 3 yrs old (poor) and, incredibly, I find snorkeling no problem for sight. I seem to be able to see better with regular mask and being under water (which is considered to be a good magnifier itself). I was at water top and could see the stingray below me at about 12 ft down. Awsome!

We snorkel only on vacation. DH has a prescription mask that he ordered when he got his glasses, cost about $120, and makes all the difference in his enjoyment. He can't wear contacts, and he's very nearsighted so he wouldn't be able to see a thing without it. I used to have to lead him around like a blind man, and he not only couldn't see the fish he couldn't see hazards either.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tammy,

I was all worried about this same issue when we visited Hawaii last year. I wear glasses 100% of the time and was so afraid I couldn't see when snorkeling and no, I can't imagine wearing glasses under my mask. Anyway, I talked to my eye dr, who suggested a specific "diopter" mask for me. When I called our snorkel tour boat, they said they carry them on their tours! BUT....tell your hubby to not worry. I tried the "special" masks on board but they were older models and water poured in my mask. In exasperation, I just asked to use one of the regular masks...and WAS ABLE TO SEE PERFECTLY! I think being under water must create a magnification of its own. I think he'll be pleasantly surprised that he can see really well. Enjoy your trip and hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just reading/asking about this on another thread.

Since everyone's "view" (lol) of "bad vision" is subjective: The masks you can order online come up to -8.0 diopters, which is great for the vast majority, so be sure to check them out. Several have recoomend brands on these boards. You can just google them.

I'm -13.50, so....

Archived