Correction! I meant to ask about Summer 2011

gotaluvlex

So I will reiterate my questions/frustrations here! Under the correct date...

Why is Carnival the only line doing Mexico runs next summer? How many Alaska routes do we need? Is something up that we don't know about? And what happened to the Hawaii out of LA run? Is that not coming afterall?

Most cruise lines operating on the west coast sail to Alaska during the summer since Mexico is quite hot and then some sail to Mexico in the Fall. Given the issues in Mexico in the nearterm you may see less cruises ships sailing there.

There are some cruises to Hawaii out of Los Angeles as well as some out of San Diego on other cruise lines.

Keith

There were only a couple of lines (Carnival and some years, RC) sailing year-round to the MR. The other lines haven't been for as long as I have been a cruiser. I only remember one summer that Princess sailed to Hawaii (on the Regal a few years ago). The great news is that a second ship will be doing some Hawaii runs (the one that does the winter MR cruises). Guessing there's less demand for MR, due to the problems there, and more for Hawaii. Hoping that Princess decides to try a summer Hawaiian cruise again.

The best thing for us on the West Coast to do is to keep reminding the cruiselines that many of us would prefer to sail out of the ports over here.

• 1 month later...
The best thing for us on the West Coast to do is to keep reminding the cruiselines that many of us would prefer to sail out of the ports over here.

It's more effective to do your "reminding" by booking only West Coast round trips or at least West Coast departures.

Alaska cruises are probably more financially advantageous to cruise lines due to the shore excursions and land packages plus hotel bookings than the short Mexico cruises are.

There were only a couple of lines (Carnival and some years' date=' RC) sailing year-round to the MR. The other lines haven't been for as long as I have been a cruiser. I only remember one summer that Princess sailed to Hawaii (on the Regal a few years ago). The great news is that a second ship will be doing some Hawaii runs (the one that does the winter MR cruises). Guessing there's less demand for MR, due to the problems there, and more for Hawaii. Hoping that Princess decides to try a summer Hawaiian cruise again.[/quote']

Princess has been running round-trip Hawaii cruises out of LA for a number of years, on the Island Princess and lately on the Golden. HAL also runs these trips out of San Diego, most recently on the Oosterdam. These are 14-15 days trips, which are less common on Carnival. These are WINTER trips though as these ships generally go to Alaskan waters in the summer. Princess, HAL, and Celebrity are still doing Mexican Riviera trips, but again, pretty much just in the winter. It is HOT in Mexico in the summer, and often in the late summer and fall there are Pacific hurricanes (which also can effect ships from the Mainland to Hawaii at that time of year).

It's more effective to do your "reminding" by booking only West Coast round trips or at least West Coast departures.

Alaska cruises are probably more financially advantageous to cruise lines due to the shore excursions and land packages plus hotel bookings than the short Mexico cruises are.

It's more effective to tell them that you want the west coast trips. I don't think any cruiseline really looks at whether any particular passenger is booking only west coast itineraries or not. I don't think their research is that specific. You have to tell them in letters, emails, Facebook comments on their pages (where I'm guessing a manager is having someone keeping track of what consumers are saying).

Princess has been running round-trip Hawaii cruises out of LA for a number of years, on the Island Princess and lately on the Golden. HAL also runs these trips out of San Diego, most recently on the Oosterdam. These are 14-15 days trips, which are less common on Carnival. These are WINTER trips though as these ships generally go to Alaskan waters in the summer. Princess, HAL, and Celebrity are still doing Mexican Riviera trips, but again, pretty much just in the winter. It is HOT in Mexico in the summer, and often in the late summer and fall there are Pacific hurricanes (which also can effect ships from the Mainland to Hawaii at that time of year).

I know about the Hawaiian cruises -- in fact the Sapphire Princess has been added to the ships doing this itinerary (along with the Golden) on various sailings this year and even more so next year. But I was addressing the summer sailings as the OP seemed to be asking about that if I'm ascertaining the questions correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
It's more effective to tell them that you want the west coast trips. I don't think any cruiseline really looks at whether any particular passenger is booking only west coast itineraries or not. I don't think their research is that specific. You have to tell them in letters' date=' emails, Facebook comments on their pages (where I'm guessing a manager is having someone keeping track of what consumers are saying).[/quote']

If you tell a cruise line that you want them to change something, such as to offer more west coast cruises, but you go ahead and book an itinerary that leaves from somewhere else, they have your money and have no incentive to reposition their ships.

If a manager pays more attention to the relatively small audience of vocal facebook fiends rather than numerous posts on Cruise Critic by a much wider group of cruisers, they are just lazy or want to read glowing praise. You can't even do a "dislike" on facebook.

And what was with the red type? Are you a teacher? Were you scolding me? :eek:

Archived