A First-Time Princess Cruiser's Review of the Emerald Princess

Debbierpof

Cayman Continued...

After a couple of hours snorkeling, a girl can get hungry! We decided to take a break and head into town. The last time we ate at the place next to the market. We went but it was closed. I asked a shop owner where he liked to eat that didn't have tourists around. He told me about Corita's Copper Kettle. It's a small place with maybe six tables, tops. Corita sits in the kitchen and the only menu items available are those that are fresh from the market. We had jerk chicken and Cayman style fish. Not sure what the fish was, but it was delicious! The chicken was great, too. Prices were under $10 for a good plate-full. I was also able to buy a couple of fruits there -- a type of plum from the tropics (not one you'll find in your grocery store in the US) and mamoncillo (or soapberry). I grew up eating both of these and it was a treat getting to enjoy them once more. That's one thing I enjoy about travel -- going to a local market to find local produce and fruit.

Okay, so we stopped by the Guy Harvey store (we did get to meet him last year and had our picture taken with him) but he wasn't there this time. We also wandered a couple of other stores. Then it was time to go back to Eden Rock for a final snorkeling excursion and then back to the ship.

So many pictures to select from... I think that's probably enough of the marine life, except... here was my highlight (especially given that we didn't make it to Stingray City)...

4869992183_6eaa5ece9b.jpg

4870604016_4d959267bc.jpg

I saw this sweet guy and knew I couldn't go back up for a breath for a while! Not exactly sure how long I was down there, but I got some pictures and a video of this beautiful, serene Sea Turtle... Just gliding along... That was great! And that is the reason why I want to SCUBA... sure would have made taking pictures of the incredible marine life, and the sea turtle, a whole lot easier.

So Eden Rock... a great place to check out the incredible sea life in the Caymans without going far or spending much. We headed back to the tender area. My DH and his brother decided to go check out the Cuban cigars... My SIL and I waited in the shops in the tender area -- there are plenty of shops there. A Princess rep kept checking to make sure all passengers were in line and ready to board. We were the last ones. My DH and his brother this time decided to get a drink at the bar! Really?!?! So I mentioned to the Princess rep where they were and he went to get them. That's the rep walking away from the picture...

4870134125_d90f53198e.jpg

We even took our picture with the two reps there:

4870745608_ed84a4995a.jpg

The Princess reps were great and we were the last four people to board the last tender to the Emerald. So long, Cayman! Hope to see you very soon!

And here is our beautiful ship!

4870133755_33432bee38.jpg

4870133865_bb3e2dfd32.jpg

More on this evening's events later!!! Stay tuned for more and many thanks for all your kind comments. I really enjoy re-living this trip!

Cayman Continued...

After a couple of hours snorkeling, a girl can get hungry! We decided to take a break and head into town. The last time we ate at the place next to the market. We went but it was closed. I asked a shop owner where he liked to eat that didn't have tourists around. He told me about Corita's Copper Kettle. It's a small place with maybe six tables, tops. Corita sits in the kitchen and the only menu items available are those that are fresh from the market. We had jerk chicken and Cayman style fish. Not sure what the fish was, but it was delicious! The chicken was great, too. Prices were under $10 for a good plate-full. I was also able to buy a couple of fruits there -- a type of plum from the tropics (not one you'll find in your grocery store in the US) and mamoncillo (or soapberry). I grew up eating both of these and it was a treat getting to enjoy them once more. That's one thing I enjoy about travel -- going to a local market to find local produce and fruit.

Okay, so we stopped by the Guy Harvey store (we did get to meet him last year and had our picture taken with him) but he wasn't there this time. We also wandered a couple of other stores. Then it was time to go back to Eden Rock for a final snorkeling excursion and then back to the ship.

So many pictures to select from... I think that's probably enough of the marine life, except... here was my highlight (especially given that we didn't make it to Stingray City)...

4869992183_6eaa5ece9b.jpg

4870604016_4d959267bc.jpg

I saw this sweet guy and knew I couldn't go back up for a breath for a while! Not exactly sure how long I was down there, but I got some pictures and a video of this beautiful, serene Sea Turtle... Just gliding along... That was great! And that is the reason why I want to SCUBA... sure would have made taking pictures of the incredible marine life, and the sea turtle, a whole lot easier.

So Eden Rock... a great place to check out the incredible sea life in the Caymans without going far or spending much. We headed back to the tender area. My DH and his brother decided to go check out the Cuban cigars... My SIL and I waited in the shops in the tender area -- there are plenty of shops there. A Princess rep kept checking to make sure all passengers were in line and ready to board. We were the last ones. My DH and his brother this time decided to get a drink at the bar! Really?!?! So I mentioned to the Princess rep where they were and he went to get them. That's the rep walking away from the picture...

4870134125_d90f53198e.jpg

We even took our picture with the two reps there:

4870745608_ed84a4995a.jpg

The Princess reps were great and we were the last four people to board the last tender to the Emerald. So long, Cayman! Hope to see you very soon!

And here is our beautiful ship!

4870133755_33432bee38.jpg

4870133865_bb3e2dfd32.jpg

More on this evening's events later!!! Stay tuned for more and many thanks for all your kind comments. I really enjoy re-living this trip!

I have been waiting for this part of your wonderful review!!!!! Our son just received his scuba cert. last week and has been scuba diving all this week, your pictures are showing me what he is seeing. We miss him so much.

We loved our PV vacation (we go there 2-3 times a year) and right now am really thinking we should have done the cruise.....next year for sure, he goes down every summer anyhow he has for the past three years, I am so not jealous at all....(I can tell a little white lie .......right ;D )

A huge heartfelt thank you. Truly this is one of the best reviews I have ever read.

Jodi

Oh and our son has emailed us to say he is homesick and is coming home on the 17th of August instead of Sept 8th

Lol did you just realize it was a octupus? It is hard to make out. The close up confirmed it. Great pics. Plan to do some snorkeling at Princes Cays on our trip aboard Emerald on August 29th.

While snorkeling, the colors caught my attention and then I figured out that those were suction cups. I'm so happy to have a real underwater camera and not a disposable one. Took a few pix of this octopus to make sure I got a good picture.

So enjoyable. Would you have any patters to be shared with us?

I do!!! I need to scan them and I'll post a couple. Any day in particular? I can also try and post them all on my flickr account. I need to figure that out and then I will post the link. I'm actually missing one day.... :mad:

I have been waiting for this part of your wonderful review!!!!! Our son just received his scuba cert. last week and has been scuba diving all this week, your pictures are showing me what he is seeing. We miss him so much.

We loved our PV vacation (we go there 2-3 times a year) and right now am really thinking we should have done the cruise.....next year for sure, he goes down every summer anyhow he has for the past three years, I am so not jealous at all....(I can tell a little white lie .......right ;D )

A huge heartfelt thank you. Truly this is one of the best reviews I have ever read.

Jodi

Oh and our son has emailed us to say he is homesick and is coming home on the 17th of August instead of Sept 8th

Jodi - Glad you've enjoyed the review and the pictures! I really appreciate your comments. I'm sure your son has seen even more incredible wonders while scuba diving. Hope you get to see him soon and that you get a chance to cruise soon, too!

Debbie...what type of underwater camera did you use? Your photos are A-mazing!!!

jillocb - My DH bought this one for my birthday. It's the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010. I'm a Canon person (have the Elph, Digital Rebel, 35 mm Rebel) and was a little concerned about the Olympus, mainly because they don't always use a regular SD-HC card. Fortunately, the 8010 does use an SD card... some of the other Stylus Tough models do not. It also takes great video (which includes sound) and has multiple settings for under water, night, day, etc.. I was so happy to have that and not a disposable underwater camera... :D

Yes, please share! I want to put this camera on my Christmas list!

That's a great idea!!! As I mentioned before, it's the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010. I love it!

Recommendation: It does not come with a great strap so I bought one at a dive shop. It was padded and fitted -- so less chance that it would slip off.

Lol did you just realize it was a octupus? It is hard to make out. The close up confirmed it. Great pics. Plan to do some snorkeling at Princes Cays on our trip aboard Emerald on August 29th.

Princess Cays wasn't the Caymans, but it was decent. Definitely better than the Carnival private island (too sandy). I'm sure if it's a calmer day (than what we had) that you'll get to see a lot of fish. Have a great time!!!

Jodi

By the way... you almost made me cry... Glad you'll get to see him sooner than expected!

Not sure if you are aware of the roll call for the Aug 29th Emerald cruise. We are also on it. Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1130891

Thank you for the fantastic review. I have never cruised on PCL before. My DH, BFF and her DH are sailing on the Crown in Feb - we have 720 & 722. Your review is getting me both really excited about our upcoming cruise as well as giving a lot of information on the ship (which I understand is suppose to be a sister ship of the Crown).

After boarding the Emerald from our great day in Grand Cayman we did what every good Emerald cruiser would do… we stopped by the International Café. I’m telling you, this place rocked! So it was time to get ready for the second formal night. For some reason, this is the only picture I took that evening. The Piazza of the Emerald is really beautiful, open and bright!

4876661693_828462fd73.jpg

I don’t have the Patter for that day but I believe we all changed into more comfy clothes and headed to the Princess Theater to go watch comedian Rodney Johnson. He was hysterical! If he's there, do not miss his show!!!

COZUMEL, MEXICO

Last summer, the Carnival Valor’s itinerary was changed thanks to the Swine Flu so instead of Cozumel, we got Key West. So we were very happy to be back in Cozumel. We had been here in 2007 and really enjoyed our day at Paradise Beach just chillaxing. This time, we kicked it up a notch and spent our day with the Bar Hop Bus. I was interested and concerned. Interested because the tour takes you to various spots on the “other” side of the island of Cozumel. Concerned because it sounded like “bar hop” meant we would be lucky to find our way back to the ship and Montezuma might have her revenge… Thankfully, I put aside any preconceived notions and booked the tour online. This might be the first time I have paid a deposit on a tour – usually select those that do not require a deposit for obvious reasons. But I read about this tour on the CC Cozumel page and it had very positive reviews. Others on our Roll Call were also interested, so we took the plunge! It was a relaxing and fun day!

So I think we were the first cruisers to arrive in Cozumel. Here one of the Carnival ships and the RCCL Liberty of the Seas get ready to dock...

4876379985_50d634d267.jpg

but first the Liberty of the Seas needs to turn herself around... amazing...

4876990220_640e9d3992.jpg

At 10 am, they picked us up at the No Name Bar across the street from the pier exit. Easy to find once you make your way past all the taxi and tour people. My SIL took this picture from the No Name Bar.

4876381921_b2836bb624.jpg

We were in a nicely air conditioned mini-bus that was very comfortable. Our guide for the day was Greg. He explained that at each stop, we would be given a shot (a mixed drink) and we would have discounts on other beverages and food. We would spend about an hour at each location so if we wanted to walk the beach, go swimming or just lay on a hammock, that was our call. On the way to the east side of the island, we drove through downtown Cozumel and Greg explained the growth and development taking place on the island. He also showed us some of the neighborhood areas.

4876991846_6cb54aef8c.jpg

The east side is very desolate -- almost completely undeveloped.

4876991154_171aa08ca4.jpg

More to come...

Our first stop was at Punta Morena. Absolutely clear water with gorgeous waves.

4876816905_518a7baae6.jpg

My SIL & BIL...

4876816695_2d0a2fb227.jpg

The bar at Punta Morena:

4877426508_b7e64e6f0b.jpg

The absolutely stunningly clear water...

4876816449_f5d14f912b.jpg

My BIL just chillaxing on a hammock...

4877426306_4e05667193.jpg

This is where Greg showed us that all along the beach there were red stakes the government used to mark sea turtle nests. At night, the government has restricted the use of lights so as not to confuse sea turtles. There were dozens, if not hundreds, of those stakes all along the east coast.

4876817047_a2442322ae.jpg

Next up, Coconuts. In this picture taken at Punta Morena, Coconuts can kindda be seen at the end of the beach.

4877426014_66139d1938.jpg

It's located on the highest elevation point in Cozumel: 44 ft. It was a pretty place, but fairly hot. This is at the top -- they even had a danger sign.. but look at how clear the water looks. And that's a big, big drink for $8.

4877509493_d3395c4ca9.jpg

This was the ceiling of Coconuts palapa bar...

4878118512_f15bb06025.jpg

One of the critters in the area...

4878118848_389382fe8e.jpg

The interesting point here was not the view or drinks, but their top priority seemed to be women’s breasts. They even had albums of, well, women who had displayed their “coconuts” for a picture. Absolutely unbelievable! The bar staff gave my BIL and DH a couple of albums and they said it was a menu. When they opened it -- it was ugh... we're talking all ages and sizes. No, I did not take pictures of the pictures. Again, ugh.... Really tasteless. We were here the shortest amount of time.

Archived