Advice for Uxmal??

I'm going on a cruise (Carnival Elation) on 8/14 (9 days!!!). It's for 5 days and we go to Progresso and Cozumel. From what I've been reading I should go to Uxmal and I should do that through autoprogresso. I've been to autoprogresso's website (I think) and I didn't see anything about Uxmal. Any advice??

The reviews I have read on Autoprogresso have been very good. I read alot of info about them on this board.

We are doing Uxmal in Nov. but doing it through the ship just because of the time element and traveling with a daughter with special needs. I know we will probably pay more but it is worth the extra for peace of mind that we will not get left by the ship.

Please let us know how Uxmal turns out.

So I emailed info@autoprogreso.com and this is the reply I got:

"Hello Erica,

Yes we have a tour to Uxmal, the price is per adult $49 USD and for

children under 12 years old we have a rate of $35 USD, this includes

admission fees, transportation and tour guide, if you are interested in

the tour, please confirm and meet me at the pier by a little water

fountain, as you are coming walking from the ship, you will pass the duty

free shop and 50 meters ahead you will see the water fountain, i will be

at your left side , i can make a banner with your name on it, the tour

leaves at 9:00 am from the market in Progreso (shuttle bus drop off), the

latest you can meet to be on time would be 8:40am. Hope this works and i

am looking forward to hear from you.

Regards

Gerardo M."

Does this sound legit? I would be so sad if it didn't work out :(

Been there and done that...Go to the fountain in the center of the tourist area just as you exit the ship, your name will be on a sign. At that point you will pay and get a wrist band then head to a bus to take you into town for your next bus. Make sure that you bring plenty of water along with sun screen, snacks and a hat. THe cost is $49 or you can pay more using the ship. We are headed back in Nov and will be using Autoprogreso again.

This will get you ready for your trip: http://wdowns9.smugmug.com/Travel/Uxmal/11292367_5sxsh#792376230_Dii6d

Wanto. If I'm not mistaken, the Carnival excursion to Uxmal is also provided by Autoprogreso.

From what I have heard, you are right. I've gone back and forth about it. But Carnival is working with the provider to make sure my DD gets a gluten-free lunch. And if the trip runs late we are assured the ship will wait if we go through Carnival. It's not that much cheaper directly through Autoprogresso to risk all possibilities. If it was just my husband and myself, we would do it independently.

THe climb in Uxmal is nothing like Coba (Mexico), Lamanai or Xuantunich(Belize) which had ropes to assist. The majority of guides take the same path-you will enter the site and the Pryramid of the Magican will be directly in front of you (you can now longer climb) then you will be taken into the Nunnery Quadrangle which has many carvings (make sure you listen to your guide as they will point out the many stories) after that you will walk through the ballcourt to the Govenor's palace, as you exit the palace area and make your way to the Great Pyramid you will be already up about a 3rd of the way. The climb is easy if you take your time, there is no rope to assist but as you can see from the pics the view is pretty neat. Take your time climbing down then head over to the lefthand side to the House of the Dove's. You will have plenty of time to take in the experience and the nice thing is NO PEOPLE. You will then take a leasurly walk back to the enterance. I hope this helps I and will be going back in November to retake some pictures.

--Remember-- bring extra water, sunscreen, snacks and extra batteries --

I've run into too many people who are in the middle of no-where and do not have extra batteries for their cameras. I carry plenty just in case as I would hate to see others miss out on their chance to capture the experience. You will have a great time and Autoprogreso gets you back to the ship in plenty of time to do shopping at the pier before going back on the ship..BTW the prices were much better then Cozumel so dont miss your chance to get some nice stuff; plus your on your way back to the ship.

wdowns9....when you arrive on the autoprogresso van how far is the walk from the van to the ruins site? My sister uses a rollator and the area looks level but i am concerned about the distance. It does have a seat so she could stop & rest if needed. I would hate to get her halfway and have to turn around & go back to the van. Any ifo would be appreciated.

Good question which made me pull up all my pics. When you enter the site there are two methods with one being steps and the other a paved inclince for those with walkers and wheelchairs to the main grounds. This is one of the only sites that I have visited that makes to this accomadation. Once on the main grounds the lawn is well mowed and easy to travel. The beauty of the site can be taken in from all levels. I do not think you will be disappointed and the fear of returning/turning back should not be an issue. The guide will provide assistance and many in the group will also lend a hand.

Story: While in Belize going to Xaunatunich we had a elderly gentleman on the tour which this excursion was way too much for him. My wife and I took him under our wing and had him on top of the main castillo over 130ft. We kept a watch over him and then when we returned back to the ship to meet his wife he said I can't wait to tell you what I did.....All good things come to those who are willing to try.

The key for a good experience is: extra water, sunscreen, hats, snacks along with extra batteries for your camera. One in a lifetime but in some cases more then once. Autoprogreso is very good about getting you back in time so the worry about missing the ship is not a thought. I understand concerns from others and that is why they choose to take ship excursions. Its all go and something you will be able to tell friends/family.

As previously mention on another post the degree where mobility is an issue to the extent of recovery from hip replacemnt etc and from a poster who had a simlar experience I would defer to their better judgement. I have limitations and when I'm exploring/climbing or doing something I shouldn't, I pay for it during my rest days. Only you will truly know but I will comment is that the heat will zap energy quickly combined with the possible struggles. Here is a link to a map of the grounds that might help you make a good decesion for all:

http://www.mariomarcia.com/FotosViagens/AmericaNorte/Mexico/Tours/Uxmal/Tour_Uxmal.htm

• 2 weeks later...

A friend & I did the Uxmal tour with Autoprogreso this past Feb. ($49 each) and the email sample from above is exactly how they contact you. It is all legit. Several times after we booked we had additonal questions, sent them emails, and they always responded within a day, by email. We had a wonderful time. Get off the ship, the only way to get out to the shuttles, etc, is through the shops area. It follows a winding sidewalk with shops on both sides, like a little village but one "street". The pretty water fountain is in the middle of this area. Your assigned AP rep will be there holding a sign with your name(s) on it. You pay that person and they put your wristband on you, then they take you on through to the outside and take you to your bus that takes you down the 4-mile long pier. This bus takes you to the terminal (next to a nice little outdoor flea market) where you then transfer to your specific tour's bus. These are big comfy air-conditioned coach style buses (think Greyhound!). Besides the driver we had a tour guide (Gerry) who told us a lot of history of the area on the 1 1/2 hr drive to Uxmal. At the Uxmal visitor center, there is a courtyard with a casual restaurant and some shops. You have to go through here to enter the ruins grounds which cover quite a few acres. The entrance is up a small incline/hill, but in addition to the steps here there is a paved smooth walkway for wheelchairs and those with mobility issues. The rest of the area is grass and there some steps. May be some areas where wheelchairs would have to go around; the tour guide will help with showing which way to go here.

I hope to go back to Progreso some day and will definitely do the Uxmal tour again and most likely with Autoprogreso. They were great. They were very aware of the ship's times and keep in contact with their people at the pier to get us back in time.

Enjoy!:)

The AutoProgreso tours are not the same (as in the same bus) as the cruise line tours. The cruise ship tours leave from the cruise ship terminal and Autoprogreso tours leave from the city.

AutoProgreso is legit and does offer a better value than the cruise ship for nearly the same tour. They offer more tours than are listed on the website.

The only relationship between AutoProgreso and Carnival is that AutoProgreso provides the "free" bus transportation from the cruise terminal to Progreso.

As for Uxmal, here are pictures from a couple of visits there:

Progreso Feb 09 Uxmal

Uxmal/Progreso Sept 2004

The AutoProgreso tours are not the same (as in the same bus) as the cruise line tours. The cruise ship tours leave from the cruise ship terminal and Autoprogreso tours leave from the city.

AutoProgreso is legit and does offer a better value than the cruise ship for nearly the same tour. They offer more tours than are listed on the website.

The only relationship between AutoProgreso and Carnival is that AutoProgreso provides the "free" bus transportation from the cruise terminal to Progreso.

As for Uxmal, here are pictures from a couple of visits there:

Progreso Feb 09 Uxmal

Uxmal/Progreso Sept 2004

Thanks for the photos! They really have us excited. And you seemed to be the only group there, no crowds.

• 2 months later...

Guides are available as you enter the site. You might be better off seeing if you can join a smaller group to save $$$. We are going back next week but this time with out a guide because I want to see more which was missed becasue the guides like to talk sometimes too much. There are many websites with good information. I''ve plotted out my maps of the site to plan my attack. When you have a short time on-site maximizing time is critical. THe site is well worth it as the crowds are almost non-existent.

Guides are available as you enter the site. You might be better off seeing if you can join a smaller group to save $$$. We are going back next week but this time with out a guide because I want to see more which was missed becasue the guides like to talk sometimes too much. There are many websites with good information. I''ve plotted out my maps of the site to plan my attack. When you have a short time on-site maximizing time is critical. THe site is well worth it as the crowds are almost non-existent.

I'm curious, are you planning on getting a taxi upon your arrival? If so, do you mind coming back later and telling us how it went and the cost for the taxi to take you up there.

I was thinking about going with Auto Progreso tours but they don't leave till 9am and I would much rather leave immediately upon arrival at port (7am) to go to Uxmal since we are already limited on time there. I was thinking that if I get a taxi to take me to Uxmal if we leave at 7am we should arrive shortly after they open around 8:30am and that would give us a good head start. I just don't know how much taxi drivers are charging and upon my arrival at Uxmal if they take US$ or peso's only.

If anyone has any knowledge on this it would be greatly appreciated.:)

Either way wdowns I would love to read a review from you upon your return.

I am going with Autoprogreso because of cost and the short time. We are arriving at 7a but departing for the site a 9a. This is what I did the last time then followed the group which I will not be doing this time. You really need a full day to see everything so this time I'm going with a plan. It helps when you know that you can go back any time. Not many options when sailing out of Mobile. Plan is made and I only have to execute it. You can see a lot in 2hrs but it will be quick. I'm gonna press them to leave at 9a as the last time we wait til they got more people (which they didnt) so we departed at 930a but departed the site at 130p. On the way to the site we stopped at a shop and wasted about 30mins so I'm hoping this will be quick. Only had 15 people on the bus and many were clueless and not prepared for the adventure - bring snacks, water, hat and sun screen along with extra batteries for camera. In my travels I run into people that forget batteries then their camera dies...... Will provide results of next weeks trip.

I am going with Autoprogreso because of cost and the short time. We are arriving at 7a but departing for the site a 9a. This is what I did the last time then followed the group which I will not be doing this time. You really need a full day to see everything so this time I'm going with a plan. It helps when you know that you can go back any time. Not many options when sailing out of Mobile. Plan is made and I only have to execute it. You can see a lot in 2hrs but it will be quick. I'm gonna press them to leave at 9a as the last time we wait til they got more people (which they didnt) so we departed at 930a but departed the site at 130p. On the way to the site we stopped at a shop and wasted about 30mins so I'm hoping this will be quick. Only had 15 people on the bus and many were clueless and not prepared for the adventure - bring snacks, water, hat and sun screen along with extra batteries for camera. In my travels I run into people that forget batteries then their camera dies...... Will provide results of next weeks trip.

Thanks for the info! I look forward to your review. I hope you have a great time!! Happy cruising!!:D

When u do your review please let me know if the ground around the structures is pretty hard for use of a wheelchair with someone pushing....or is it gravel...One of our cruisers just can't walk long at a stretch. We will be in Progreso at the end of the month. Thanks

Archived