Saint martin - orient beach ?

chrisxmoa

hello, i will be taking a cruise to St. Martin via Princess Cruise lines. I will be arriving into port at 10:00AM- 6:00PM. So this gives us approximetely 8 at st marten. now i am debating whether to go to the famed orient beach. i've heard rave reviews about this place and i am curious how it is. Here's the catch, i know that the cab ride is around 45 minutes one way. That pretty much eats up 1 hr 30 min. I also wanted to check out the shopping in Philipsburg, but if i were to do this, i would suspect that id need to choose a closer beach.

Another reason why im thinking about Orient beach is the numerous bars and restaurants along the beachside. Also is it expensive here ?

Is orient beach worth the trip ou there, and much more than the shops at philipsburg. Also i might add that my next port of call would be st. thomas. so maybe i should just skip the shops in st. martain and go when im at st. thomas ?

In actuality, the cab ride from the pier to Orient is around 25 minutes in the morning and a few minutes more in the afternoon. Going back, the cabbie can drop you off in downtown Philipsburg where you can get your shopping done and then take the water taxi (ferry service) back to the ship, across the bay.

Prices vary at Orient and the big five (Coco, Bikini, Waikiki, Kon Tiki and Kakao) are the most expensive. Many other beach bars strung out along the beach and most will have chalkboards set up showing prices for umbrellas/lounges and food. Bring cash as many don't take plastic at all.

Orient is all one beach even though the beach bars give their own name to their own strip of sand.

Here is a 2005 panorama shot from a parasail by Ed, still mostly accurate even though some places have shut down or moved (Baywatch, The Pirate).

The cabbie will either drop you off at Bikini or Pedros.

The prices are a little lower in St. Martin but if you want to make it a beach day, nothing wrong with turning St. Thomas into shopping, as the mall by the St. Thomas pier (Havensight) has dozens of stores. Unless your ship is docking at Crown Bay which is in the boonies. Not much ship traffic there so the shopping is ehh! Princess seems bound there by contract as other Carnival Corp. units stop at Havensight.

http://edsandra.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.htm

As has been pointed out, the ride to Orient Beach will not take 45 minutes. 25 at most probably 20. You have to be careful though, we went to Orient Beach on a cruise one summer and had to go back, rent a house above the beach the next summer for a full week. So, be careful, you might be convinced also that a few hours is just not enough for all the beauty of Orient Beach!

In actuality, the cab ride from the pier to Orient is around 25 minutes in the morning and a few minutes more in the afternoon. Going back, the cabbie can drop you off in downtown Philipsburg where you can get your shopping done and then take the water taxi (ferry service) back to the ship, across the bay.

Prices vary at Orient and the big five (Coco, Bikini, Waikiki, Kon Tiki and Kakao) are the most expensive. Many other beach bars strung out along the beach and most will have chalkboards set up showing prices for umbrellas/lounges and food. Bring cash as many don't take plastic at all.

Orient is all one beach even though the beach bars give their own name to their own strip of sand.

Here is a 2005 panorama shot from a parasail by Ed, still mostly accurate even though some places have shut down or moved (Baywatch, The Pirate).

The cabbie will either drop you off at Bikini or Pedros.

The prices are a little lower in St. Martin but if you want to make it a beach day, nothing wrong with turning St. Thomas into shopping, as the mall by the St. Thomas pier (Havensight) has dozens of stores. Unless your ship is docking at Crown Bay which is in the boonies. Not much ship traffic there so the shopping is ehh! Princess seems bound there by contract as other Carnival Corp. units stop at Havensight.

http://edsandra.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.htm

Where is Maho beach in reference to orient beach on the map? How far from the bayside stables?

Orient beach was some what secluded and the Club Orient was the main attraction. The last time it was so crowded and trashy that we would not go back again. It's not really a great beach, very shallow and few fish so no real snorkling. Just a lot of bars and high prices. You would be better staying in P'burg or Marigot and shop and have lunch.

Where is Maho beach in reference to orient beach on the map? How far from the bayside stables?

Bayside stables is VERY near Orient Beach.

Maho is just about as far away across the island as you could be.

gary

Orient beach was some what secluded and the Club Orient was the main attraction. The last time it was so crowded and trashy that we would not go back again. It's not really a great beach, very shallow and few fish so no real snorkling. Just a lot of bars and high prices. You would be better staying in P'burg or Marigot and shop and have lunch.

Well, back in the day Orient was different. We all were.

Orient (actually the entire island) is not known for snorkeling, so why knock it (even though we usually see lots of fish along the rocks running out to the right from Pedro's)?

There ARE a number of bars and there ARE high prices, but there are PLENTY of choices for places with reasonable food and drink prices.

If you want to go to Orient, then go. If you want to stay in town and shop, then do so.

After 51 weeks spent on-island, we still spend most of our beach time on Orient, and enjoy it. It's a GREAT beach, and shallow depends on how far out you wade into the water.

gary

If you want a unique experience, go to Maho beach. You rarely can sip a Pina Colada and get within 200 yards of a 747 landing above your head.

I have been to Orient Beach too. One of the few things that really stand out in my mind, are:

• why I spent $30.00 US on a burger, fries, and a coke
  • the 70+ yr old couple that was walking nude together on the beach (like walking in on your Gramma changing.......blaaaaaa)
  • and why I spent $30.00 on a burger, fries and a coke

The beach IS nice, but it is expensive to eat & drink...

Cheers!

oh wow, i am seeing alot of negative comments regarding Orient Beach.. hmm.. one thing that does seem to deter me is the prices...30 for burger and fries ? wow..im from nyc and it does not cost that much out here at this expensive city... anyway... are there any other beaches that have alot of drink stands by the water ? i've heard from a fellow co worker thats what was great about orient beach, the numerous amounts of bars alongside.

oh wow, i am seeing alot of negative comments regarding Orient Beach.. hmm.. one thing that does seem to deter me is the prices...30 for burger and fries ? wow..im from nyc and it does not cost that much out here at this expensive city... anyway... are there any other beaches that have alot of drink stands by the water ? i've heard from a fellow co worker thats what was great about orient beach, the numerous amounts of bars alongside.

Some of the big five beach bars that I mentioned above might charge that for a burger, fries and coke.....but there are many others that are much cheaper.

See my post above about how it doesn't have to be expensive, then, as just one example, check out the menu from Orange Fever, here.

Get a chair and umbrella, a free drink and restroom access for $7.

Burger with fries and salad, $8. Beer or soda, $2.

gary

oh wow, i am seeing alot of negative comments regarding Orient Beach.. hmm.. one thing that does seem to deter me is the prices...30 for burger and fries ?...

You will always hear stories from beginners who didn't know any better. I spend 3 weeks a year at Orient and never once thought I was taken by excess pricing. A plate of 12 hot escargots with garlic butter for $11 is a bargain. Or a big bowl of mussels with herbed cream sauce for $16 is a delight. Add in a couple of $1 Carib beers and I'm good to go. Share it with my wife and life doesn't get any better while looking out at teal blue 85 degree water over powdered sugar sand.

When I hear $30 for burger and fries I just feel sorry that some tourist needed some guidance.

If you want a unique experience, go to Maho beach. You rarely can sip a Pina Colada and get within 200 yards of a 747 landing above your head.

I have been to Orient Beach too. One of the few things that really stand out in my mind, are:

• why I spent $30.00 US on a burger, fries, and a coke
  • the 70+ yr old couple that was walking nude together on the beach (like walking in on your Gramma changing.......blaaaaaa)
  • and why I spent $30.00 on a burger, fries and a coke

The beach IS nice, but it is expensive to eat & drink...

Cheers!

I managed to spend a week on Orient Beach and never spent $30 for a burger, fries and a coke - what did you do - find the most expensive place on the beach?

Great info on Orient. Been a few times and loved it. We usually rent a car off the cruise ship and drive ourselves. If we elect to take a taxi this time, can anyone tell me how much they charge each way from the docks to Orient? Thanks!!

Great info on Orient. Been a few times and loved it. We usually rent a car off the cruise ship and drive ourselves. If we elect to take a taxi this time, can anyone tell me how much they charge each way from the docks to Orient? Thanks!!

At the pier, they set up group rides for the beach in the van-cabs that should be $6 pp one way as long as the cab is filled. Same thing going back, just walk to where you were let off in the AM, either Pedros or Bikini Beach Bar. Allow a few minutes in the afternoon for the driver to fill has cab and get the lower rate pp.

• 3 weeks later...
We went to La String and got two chairs, umbrella, and any drink we both wanted for $15, bucket of beers were inexpensive. The best ever mahi on french bread for $12... don't know where you got a $30 burger. Would never miss Orient. Went for a week, then booked another two...

Yes - can't agree more here - Le String is awesome and John John will take care of you. It is right next door to sexy fruits (a great place to shop) and is owned by some guys who were butchers for many years In Maryland. Spent the week in St. Maarten and this is the place I want to be at when I go back again this year. Low key, fun place, great beach and reasonably priced. GO HERE if you can. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers!

Just a lot of bars and high prices.

I have been reading a lot of threads, saw lots of pictures. Beers cost $2. You could get a chair rental, umbrella, and a drink for $8.

You talking about the same Orient beach?

TBN Hubby here

"...the 70+ yr old couple that was walking nude together on the beach (like walking in on your Gramma changing.......blaaaaaa)..."

They probably didn't realize that it was their job to entertain you.

Whenever my wife and I see a couple like that (or any age/shape/size), we always say "isn't that wonderful". We feel the same about anyone who may not fit the "perfect body" image, but are confident enough to get out and enjoy life in their own way. If someone doesn't like it - too bad, look somewhere else.

L T

Whenever my wife and I see a couple like that (or any age/shape/size), we always say "isn't that wonderful". We feel the same about anyone who may not fit the "perfect body" image, but are confident enough to get out and enjoy life in their own way. If someone doesn't like it - too bad, look somewhere else.

L T

Great answer!! :p

I'm looking forward to my freeing and liberating experience. :D

See my post above about how it doesn't have to be expensive, then, as just one example, check out the menu from Orange Fever, here.

Get a chair and umbrella, a free drink and restroom access for $7.

Burger with fries and salad, $8. Beer or soda, $2.

gary

Pictures are worth a Trillion words.. Thanks for showing that it doesn't have to be costly and you don't have to choose to sweat it out in town shopping!

I "will" be going to Orient Beach:D

Archived