Islander? Buck Island conflicting reports?

OC PAT

Hello, again Islander. I feel as if I know you personnally as your advise through the years has been fantastic and made our cruises a wonderful experience.

Why is there so many opposite report on Buck Island? Some say it's great snorkeling and others compain that the coral has died and not worth the trip. We were looking for a small sailing adventure and snorkeling. It seems it is a bit of a time wise trip and could be or not an excellent experience. Would we be better off jusdt going to Dorch (SP?) Beach? We are 58 and 60 now, have our own snorkling equipment, love beautiful Virgin Island beaches! If we do Buck Island can you share the names of sailing venders who keep their groups small?

Thanks again for all you wise advise and help. We will be on this cruise in December and in St. Thomas as well. We do owe you a drink or two so I'll be looking for you!

OC PAT

Ok, so I am not a local expert, but just to offer my bit of Buck Island Snorkeling thoughts: I wouldnt say the coral is dead...I would say the fish are few and far between. I was very disappointed with our snorkel trip which was May 14th this year. The coral was actually sort of neat to look at...I hadnt seen coral like on my other snorkel trips...but its not neat enough to make me go back nor recommend this trip to anyone. There just arent enough fish to look at...

I've been snorkeling in Cancun, Maui, Bora Bora and probably a few other places but this St. Croix trip was the worst as far as the fish go...the group that took us was wonderful! we had a blast and the other people on the trip were also fun (we went with Big Beards). Unfortunately, I was still disappointed with the end result being that my most favorite thing of my vacation is the snorkeling trips...

Thank you for your response and your experiences, make you, my kind of expert. I have snorkled only in the Caribbean but have had some very different, unique and adventuresome experiences. I think my favorites are Bonaire, St. John, USVI and Coki Beach. We saw a lot of coral in Bonaire and most other places have been fish, turtles and sting rays. It truly is interesting to get such diverse reports on Buck Island.

OC PAT

Is the Buck Island tours from St. Thomas the same island from St. Croix? If so is it better to book from St. Thomas or St. Croix? Again, thanks.

OC PAT

They are different "Buck Islands". The one at St. Thomas is a private island. The one in St Croix is a National Park/Monument.

Ok, so I am not a local expert, but just to offer my bit of Buck Island Snorkeling thoughts: I wouldnt say the coral is dead...I would say the fish are few and far between. I was very disappointed with our snorkel trip which was May 14th this year. The coral was actually sort of neat to look at...I hadnt seen coral like on my other snorkel trips...but its not neat enough to make me go back nor recommend this trip to anyone. There just arent enough fish to look at...

I've been snorkeling in Cancun, Maui, Bora Bora and probably a few other places but this St. Croix trip was the worst as far as the fish go...the group that took us was wonderful! we had a blast and the other people on the trip were also fun (we went with Big Beards). Unfortunately, I was still disappointed with the end result being that my most favorite thing of my vacation is the snorkeling trips...

That was close to my experience as well about 8-10 years ago. Very very few fish. It's not the worst I've done. The worst has been a beach in Barbados and then Labadee. Where we were on Buck Island, the coral was dead, "ashen", and broken. There was a lot of it, but it really looked abused. I bet this was an eden when it was alive, but now, I can't justify going out to it again.

OC PAT ,

I don't know what to think .I really loved snorkeling at Buck Island

and there were almost too many fish . We were forced to swim through the schools , they didn't seem to mind . I am by no means an expert and have only been snorkeling maybe 25 to 30 times in about 20 different locales . I still haven't taken the time to know the species that I am lookin at , guess I just like fish . I thought the coral inside the wall was amazing IMHO . As we approached the outer sea wall it seemed more abused .

I really think it has to do with your day weather and currents . I was so excited for Trunk Bay and my day there it was rough and we saw next to nothing . I know there is a reason for the hype so we chalked it up to weather and just hope to return someday . I think there are places I have been like Jalousie in St Lucia that are more of a sure thing do to the cove . Don't laugh but one of my favorite places is Penecamp in Key Largo right here in the good ol USA . Snorkeling is also my priority on island visits and just think it would be a shame to miss Buck Island if it happens to be a good day . We too went with Big Beard's and they were a joy to sail with .

Like I said , I don't know because I've read such mixed reviews I have to believe it all about timing . Good Luck ! Ted

Ted, when did you see all these fish at Buck Island? DH and I are going Oct. 11 and had this high on our list until I started reading reviews of dead coral and few fish here and on Trip Advisor. Don't know what to do! I think you may be right in good snorkeling relying somewhat on timing.

Debbie

Ted, when did you see all these fish at Buck Island? DH and I are going Oct. 11 and had this high on our list until I started reading reviews of dead coral and few fish here and on Trip Advisor. Don't know what to do! I think you may be right in good snorkeling relying somewhat on timing.

Debbie

There really are mixed reviews on Buck Island. I think we'll likely book even with the mixed reviews. Now we just have to decide on who to book with. Big Beard seems to have a lot fo good reviews. I checked on Buck Island Charters -- we can charter one of their boats for just 6 of us for not much more than what the cruiseline charges. But it might be fun to go with a somewhat larger (but not large) group. Decisions, decisions.

Debbie ,

We were there last Nov the 14th (sat ) I had to look it up don't even think I am slightly organized . When I return (hopefully ) I would definitely charter with Big Beard's again because at the time they had a mate named Kaitlyn , don't know if she's still there , that kept all our teenagers engaged and entertained . Service from her was above and beyond . Nice kids the captain too .

Last Mango ,

We had 6 pax last time and two couples were already on the boat that were land based . On the way to turtle beach they stopped and picked up three more ladies at a Sandals style resort . We were the only cruise ship people for a total of 13 pax .There was plenty of room and the other pax were a joy to hang out with .

Like I said earlier I am truly confused by some reviews but I guess I would confuse people too if I told them some of these highly rated places for us were just so so . We are doing 6 new islands this Jan and snorkeling at 5 but even if it happens to be a bad day for fish or waves or whatever we still always have fun with our bunch . Oh yeah , I called when I booked Big Beards and they were very nice on the phone , I do believe they would shoot you straight about how it's been there lately . Good luck and sail safe ! Ted

Edited by tjschwalm

Ted

We are almost neighbor. We live down the coast from you in Ocean City and are very liked minded when it comes to snorkling. By the way I think the hype on Trunk Bay is based on the underwater tags and the fact that there is a trail. I also think it is much prettier that Megan's Bay and has fewer people. We would like to try Honeymoon Cove the next time we get there.

So your comments have giving me hope. We will be in St. Croix on my DH's 61st birthday on 12/13/10. If I understood you, we can sign up with Big Beard w/o doing a charter, right? What was the costs and how many hours? Having asked, I will search and see if they have a web site. I will be out of town this week but will be looking forward to your comments.

I have only driven through Key Largo. Looks like we will have to put it on our must go list.

Thanks all for your most helpful insights.

OC PAT

Well, we decided to take our chances, too, on seeing enough fish at Buck Island to make the tip worthwhile. Based on some additional reading (and a Frommer's recommendation), we booked with Captain Heinz. Thanks for everyone's input.

Debbie

Hey Pat ,

Sorry I have been sick and fighting a cold all week . Have read many good things about Capt. Hienz and nothing negative . When we went with Big Beard's tour it was $92 pp all inclusive . We also had to take the taxi/van to Big Beard's at a cost of $12-$15 each rt . I just can't remember but it was an all day tour and when we were back on ship our friends from another tour paid $76 each for the half day RCI cruise with no lunch and many more people .

Yes we are neighbors , more so after Labor Day . My father lives in Ocean Pines and we don't even fight traffic to see him in the summer , crazy huh?

We are booked on the Grand Princess 1/3/2011 to S. Carib and the Ocean Princess on 1/7/2012 to Hawaii and Tahiti . Both chosen for the itinerary in HOPES of good snorkeling . You should come ! I hope to see you around the threads . Let me know if you need anymore info ! Take care ! Ted

Now, I wonder which fellow to book with. Just will have to do more research. I am leaning towards Big Beard.

Only a couple more weeks and the town will be ours again. Dh is a bar manager at the Dunes Manor on 28th St. Would love to go to Hawaii but Ed is not one for flying more than 4 hours and does not like more than 2 at sea days. I do not want to push my luck with talk of another cruise since we will be doing our second cruise 2010.

Thanks for the 411. Hope you are feeling better.

OC PAT

OC, Capt Heinz doesn't have his own website, but he has this page on the Go To St Croix website:

http://gotostcroix.com/heinz/

I relied on what I had read about him on these boards, and Frommer's (or Fodor's) specifically recommended him because he (evidently) goes to the outer reef as well as the inner, and Frommer's said others do not do that (I, of course, do not know, but it sounded like a plus to me!).

I did email and ask questions:

teroro@vipowernet.net

His tour (5 hours + taxi time) is $65, plus the $30 round trip cab (per person). When I telephoned to book with my credit card (they did not charge it), I also called the cab driver Capt Heinz recommended.

Hope this helps,

Debbie

It looks like they have a good record. Will you check back after your cruise in October and let us know how the trip went and what Buck Island was liked? We do not go until December so I have some time before booking. Again, my thanks.

OC PAT

Hello all I usally follow the STX threads and am sorry for the late reply. I've been computerless, among other woes.

I've lived here over a decade, and and can give a now-and-then viewpoint. I did a ton of snorkelling when we first moved here but haven't done much of late. (It happens, lol.) I remember Buck Island reef from 10 years ago- saw some fish but have seen better coral, etc. elsewhere.

I've taken guests to Buck Island twice over the past month. I went with one of the big companies- they are all good, as are the smaller companies, IMHO- and had no plan on snorkelling...left my good equip at home, seriously no plan to go in the water. I got talked into it when we hit the snorkel site, and I was just being a good sport. WOW. The reef was bright and thriving, and I saw huge schools of fish and had a blast. I was so impressed at the change. It was a rough day with surge to boot, and it still was an amazing trip. I cheerfully jumped in on the second guest's trip, with my fave mask in hand, and was again amazed.

So that is my story. I was lucky enough to see loads of fish and healthy coral. Please don't call me a cheerleader- realistically I had no plan on snorkelling Buck again and had to be shamed into the water three weeks ago. I was super-pleasantly surprised and I hope you have a good snorkel day at Buck, too. Really, whatever you chose to do, I hope it's wonderful...

Wow, you have made me feel so much better. To be honest I usual do not worry so much but we will be here for my dh's birthday. Now, that I have your ear. Would you recommend 1/2 or full day tour to Buck Island? Based on the taxi rate it seems we will do better renting a car, do half day tour then drive /explore your island. Is this doable? Is there one car rental better/less expensive? Any suggestions to make our visit special would be greatly appreciated!

Hey yall , I don't know why a taxi to Christiansted would be any more than $15 RT . When you come down the pier there is a taxi tent on the pier . They take US money and hand each person two tickets one is for the return trip and is honored by all the taxis . When we were there the taxis were 15 passenger vans . Rates our regulated at the pier . When we arrived at Christiansted we arranged for our driver to come back . He was waiting at the pier when our Catamaran sailed up . The drivers know all the tour companies routines .

It was so easy a kid could do this trip the people there are so friendly and helpful . Never once felt lost or unsafe , just sad we had to leave !

Edited by tjschwalm

I am also a long time St. Croix resident and I second what the Peacha says.

Remember the Caribbean Sea is a "fluid" environment. Just like any other ocean or sea, things are constantly changing (visibility, marine life etc) Most visitors have a terrific experience at Buck Island. The water at the beach is crystal clear and the sand is like sugar. Whenever I have taken visitors to to Buck island we have topically seen tangs, parrot fish, green sea turtles and hawk's bill turtles, barracuda, eels, rays, and lobsters. Take your time on the snorkel trail and I bet you won't be disappointed with what you see

I hope you enjoy your visit to St. Croix!

Ellen

Ted-so that would be 30 a couple and tips. I think I heard car rental was around 40 so that's why I was thinking rent a car. We are doing so for St. John the day before so DH not sure the rent a car is a good idea. Just looking at all possiblities.

Ellen-I truly appreciate your comments and you kind of make me want to make it a full day trip. I am confident that we will have a great time.

Thanks to all who have participated in this discussion and please remember to give us a review.

Edited by OC PAT

Hi-

OC PAT, glad to make you happy. I saw all those fishies/ sealife Ellen mentioned between the two trips recently, schools of cuttlefish as well. However fish are on the fin- and turtles are frequently in transit from long distances, there is no telling what you'll see but I hope you smile as you snorkel. Turtle Beach on Buck (the stop on the West shore) is wonderful, all the time.

A half day trip works perfectly for me, as I avoid the sun v. carefully. Basically you can't go wrong either way, as long as you don't get overexposed! Sounds like a fab way to spend a birthday...

I second the taxi idea, renting a car to park it for most of the day is more work. If you were planning on touring the island renting makes sense. CC forum rules do not allow locals to advise on who to rent from/etc, please don't think you are being ignored. Hope another cruiser can help you there. We'll just tie down the fish for you, lol.