Question about price and OBC difference from TA..........

We have booked serveral cruises through the same TA and have never been given any OBC. We are currently planning a trip for Feb. 2011 and one of the couples that wants to go contacted the TA they use and the price was a little less but their TA offered $100 OBC per cabin? How can they do that, does Carinval have deals with certain TAs? :confused:

We have booked serveral cruises through the same TA and have never been given any OBC. We are currently planning a trip for Feb. 2011 and one of the couples that wants to go contacted the TA they use and the price was a little less but their TA offered $100 OBC per cabin? How can they do that, does Carinval have deals with certain TAs? :confused:

Perhaps. Or it could simply be that their TA is willing to take less of a commission and pass the "savings" on to their clients in the form of OBC's.

Supposedly TAs who used to discount can no longer discount, so now they will do what they do for RCL and give OBC.

For $100 OBC they had to have booked a fairly expensive cruise or category. Iv only gotten $50 OBC thru a TA Iv used.

TAs can take it out of their commission ... its not because they have a deal with Carnival. They can only give you the OBC on the sly. They either offer it via phone or email or you sign in to see it or something ....they cant openly advertise they discount.

I know thru TA's in the past, I managed maybe $20-$75 OBC pp. Since I have been booking myself thry CCL website with ES, it's averaged about $250 OBC per room in the past 3 cruises. So I kissed the TA bu bye.

Simple rule, ANY price Carnival gives you a knowledgable TA can match, WITHOUT, cutting commissions. Carnival has NO prices not available to TA's. IF they did, they would NOT be able to demand any price stability by any TA in any court in the USA.

If the price was a little less than almost assuredly they were booked under a group booking especially with a $100 OBC.

Simple rule, ANY price Carnival gives you a knowledgable TA can match, WITHOUT, cutting commissions. Carnival has NO prices not available to TA's. IF they did, they would NOT be able to demand any price stability by any TA in any court in the USA.

I get that. But why would I book thru ES thru a TA and then have to run them down and play phone tag to try to get them to process my ES claim form when I can book myself and do the ES form myself?

I can use the internet and don't mind taking the 10 minutes it takes to book online. Then I have control over my whole trip, ES and all. I don't cruise 8 times a year like some who might really get to know/like a TA. Twice a year, I can do it myself.

I get that. But why would I book thru ES thru a TA and then have to run them down and play phone tag to try to get them to process my ES claim form when I can book myself and do the ES form myself?

I can use the internet and don't mind taking the 10 minutes it takes to book online. Then I have control over my whole trip, ES and all. I don't cruise 8 times a year like some who might really get to know/like a TA. Twice a year, I can do it myself.

There are more and better reasons to use a TA. But just giving the little guy an opportunity to make a buck that would be kept by a multi Billion dollar Corporation, giving me NOTHING of value in return is plenty of reason for me to use a TA.

Then there is the TA's ability to cross Cruise company lines, plus the TA's knowledge of other travel that a corporate PVP or booking agent does not have either from training or experience.

And we haven't got to price yet.

There are more and better reasons to use a TA. But just giving the little guy an opportunity to make a buck that would be kept by a multi Billion dollar Corporation, giving me NOTHING of value in return is plenty of reason for me to use a TA.

Then there is the TA's ability to cross Cruise company lines, plus the TA's knowledge of other travel that a corporate PVP or booking agent does not have either from training or experience.

And we haven't got to price yet.

Don't get me wrong, if it works for you thats great, more power to you. I think ti just depends how much you cruise and what type of person you are. There just is not enough value in it for me. Seems like more effort to get a TA. I don't use the PVP either. They call after I book online but I never call them back. I book my own air because I have family who works for the airlines so I have an in there. It's just easier for me. I'm with you giving the booking fees to the little guy, if I knew someone who was a TA or had a family member I would probably do that. But for our couple cruises a year, just not worth the fuss for me.

Last time I booked I did it on my IPHONE while I was on a job in the middle of a snow storm. Took 10 minutes. No hastle. No sales/upgrade/flight pitches. Ended up with over $400OBC. I'm happy with that.

Archived