Mahogany Bay - Fee?

sheilb4

I just read a review that stated there was now a fee to use the beach??? surely not??? I was there earlier this year and there was no fee. I walked the path to the beach and had a beach chair and did not have to pay....anyone been there recently that can speak to this?

Was it especially hot? We go on Legend on the 29th and my only concern with walking is if my kids (6 &7) will be miserable. I thought the chair might distract them from their misery on the way to the beach. Or is the walk not too bad. Any info would be great.

We were there last year in December. Going again this year. The heat and humidity was intense as we are from Colorado. This year, we will venture away from the "fenced in cruise ship area". It was great to see, however, our feelings were that we were not exposed to the real culture or people of the port. It is very controlled and designed by the cruise lines to have you spend the money in the area that provides the cruise lines that use the port with more income. Walking to the beach is enjoyable along a great walkway and the ride on the flying beach chairs is delightful. This trip, we will try to mix a little more with the locals and provide them the additional income that they depend on in their poor economy. The arrival and departure from the port is very interesting and the views are most photogenic. Be sure to check the monetary exchange rate before you go. At a booth within the port area, a lady was selling merchandise that she had produced. I looked, walked away and then she asked me if I was interested in antique Honduran coins. She would sell me a 20 Limpera coin for only $5.00 American. Hummm. At that time 1 Limpera was worth $0.05 American. With the stability of their government and the value of their antique coins?????? Just need to be smart and use caution.

The walkway is partly shaded and there are benches along the way if they need a rest. It's not a difficult walk at all. I think they'll be fine. Pile on the sunscreen! We got burned because we didn't reapply often enough.

We didn't trade for any money but we did last time we were in Roatan. I don't care about the exchange rate really. $5 doesn't mean much to me and the money was a neat keepsake.

Thanks for all the great advice! Sunscreen is a definite, and reapplication is a must. I was in Roatan a few months ago and I reapplied A LOT.

I was just curious about near the pier since we ventured out of that area last time.

This is one of my favorite ports because it is so absolutely beautiful! I used USD in one of the shops I was in and it was fine. He had some really neat puzzle boxes that my kids love!

Enjoy and thanks again!

We were there last year in December. Going again this year. The heat and humidity was intense as we are from Colorado. This year, we will venture away from the "fenced in cruise ship area". It was great to see, however, our feelings were that we were not exposed to the real culture or people of the port. It is very controlled and designed by the cruise lines to have you spend the money in the area that provides the cruise lines that use the port with more income. Walking to the beach is enjoyable along a great walkway and the ride on the flying beach chairs is delightful. This trip, we will try to mix a little more with the locals and provide them the additional income that they depend on in their poor economy. The arrival and departure from the port is very interesting and the views are most photogenic. Be sure to check the monetary exchange rate before you go. At a booth within the port area, a lady was selling merchandise that she had produced. I looked, walked away and then she asked me if I was interested in antique Honduran coins. She would sell me a 20 Limpera coin for only $5.00 American. Hummm. At that time 1 Limpera was worth $0.05 American. With the stability of their government and the value of their antique coins?????? Just need to be smart and use caution.

Roatan just isn't a place I would go out on my own...JMO find a guide that you can trust through cc or island marketing if you want to see the real Roatan.

We were in Roatan about 4 years ago when there wasn't many ships in port at all through out the year, the experience was interesting to say the least. The government has tried to clean the port areas up and the new carnival port is a joy compared to the other port.

There is a fee of $40 for 2 persons at Mahogany Beach which includes the following:

1. Unlimited Chair Lifts for the day.

2. Clam Shell cover for the beach lounges to be in the shade.

3. 2 Beach floats

If you want to walk to the beach and sit in the sun and not float in the water then I believe there is no fee.

I'm not sure what the charge for only the chair lift is but I do know it is not free.

My DH & I will be in Roatan in Nov. on the Carnival Glory. We were thinking of taking the beach chairs over to the beach. I was wondering if the snorkelling is good there or not?

T*

We are going to be on the Glory in November also. We are boarding on the 15th. There is a thread for that Cruise (Nov 15-21) under roll calls. If that is the same dates for you please come join us! Happy sailing! :)

Archived