miracle/explorer

ccc321

can anyone compare carnival miracle to rci explorer of the seas for me.. Have sailed dcl and rci explorer and would like to try a different ship. will be sailing with 3 kids 13,14,10 and myself. I think I've read that miracle is one of carnivals smaller ships. Is that true?

There are hundreds of threads comparing RCL to Carnival. ... very similar.

Very hard to compare specific ships on different cruiselines to me...both cater to kids. Are the prices the same? I would take whichever was the better bargain. Without knowing how much more one is over the other, I cant even say which one Id do.

Many like smaller spirit class ships on Carnival. Carnival's largest ship Dream has tons of reviews complaining about overcrowding, which RCL seems to have solved, as I dont hear that about Oasis.

Miracle would be a favorite class of Carnival ship for most.

The Miracle certainly isn't a smaller ship. It's 88,000 gtw.

The layout is my favorite of the Carnival ships I've been on.

All things being equal, I would choose the Explorer, but it's SO much more expensive.

I would enjoy myself on either ship.

Like the slide, food, and atmosphere better on Carnival, but I like the pools on the Explorer. The ship itself is sleek, like the Disney ships. No one can touch Disney's service, though.

All else was pretty much on par, like service, entertainment.

Not a big fan of the Explorer...did not like the layout of the ship one bit. I was definately not happy with the fact that the drink stations are on the lido deck inside the buffet. So, when the buffet closes, if you want ice tea or lemonade after 9pm, you have to go back to your cabin and order it from room service. You can't get it from the bars either. You can order soda or alcohol from the bars..of course the drinks with a charge. There is a coffee and ice water station in the cafe but that's it.

Having sailed on both of these ships, the Explorer twice and the Miracle 3 times and heading out again this October, I can tell what you want to know. Both ships are clean and have a good layout, although I do like the Miracle a little better it seems to flow more from end to end. Yes the Explorer is bigger and has better decor, there is so much more to see on this ship. As far as the service goes, they are the same. The pools and hot tubs on the Explorer are much nicer, the adult pool area is open 24 hrs even if one is being cleaned. However there isn't a comparable slide for adults. My DH likes the specialty restaurant better on the Miracle however the price is $10 cheaper per person on the Explorer. He also likes that there is a Johnny Rockets on the Explorer. The atmosphere on the Carnival is better, more going on into the later hours Explorer gets rather quiet right after the evening show. The perks for past guests seem a bit better with RCL vs CCL. Finally leaving out of Bayonne NJ is much nicer, easier, quieter than sailing out of NY NY. However living approximately 15 miles from either port I cannot complain too much. Hope you enjoy your trip whichever one you choose!!!:D

Not a big fan of the Explorer...did not like the layout of the ship one bit. I was definately not happy with the fact that the drink stations are on the lido deck inside the buffet. So, when the buffet closes, if you want ice tea or lemonade after 9pm, you have to go back to your cabin and order it from room service. You can't get it from the bars either. You can order soda or alcohol from the bars..of course the drinks with a charge. There is a coffee and ice water station in the cafe but that's it.

We have always had ice tea in the promenade cafe as well. Plus I love the pizza being hot in the cafe, and often on Carnival its been sitting around. On Voyager they put it out on saucers as soon as it came out of the oven.

We have always had ice tea in the promenade cafe as well. Plus I love the pizza being hot in the cafe, and often on Carnival its been sitting around. On Voyager they put it out on saucers as soon as it came out of the oven.

None on the promenade last sept, not any day of the cruise. And when i asked the staff in the cafe, I got the same reply from everyone. Have to order ice tea from your cabin or buy soda from bar. I was not a happy camper. Not with the staff..wasn't their fault. But, I did write RCI a letter when I got home.

The only carnival and rccl ships I've been on have been the miracle and explorer, so here's my take on it:

I too found Carnival and RCCL to be more similiar than different. Here's my take on it:

Kids programs: For the younger kids, Carnival might have the edge. For teens, RCCL wins definitely.

Food: Carnival's warm chocolate cake is to die for. Other than that, I like the food on RCCl better BUT.... that's because I'm not a meat eater. RCCLs vegetarian options and salads are much better than Carnival. The Carnival buffet is definitely more for meat eaters, and it seems that if you're a meat eater you find Carnival's food better. I have to say that even though I couldn't eat them (I'm allergic to beef and pork) the baby back ribs on Carnival looked really yummy. Pizza is better on Carnival, but it's ok on RCCL too, and available 24 hours if you get a ship with a promenade cafe. Sushi was terrible on Carnival. Plus, RCCL has better room service menu (when you travel with a teen, room service pizza is a big plus). RCCL had grits available in the buffet every morning, on Carnival you had to go to the dining room. Also, I felt that the buffet was easier to navigate on RCCL than on Carnival, but Carnival had trays which was nice.

Service: about the same, maybe a little better on RCCl than on carnival. I had a bad experience in CCLs dining room at dinner (I was stuck in a corner and our waiter kept forgetting about us), but the other meals and service crew were fine.

Entertainment: Bands and shows were better on Carnival (except for the ice show). . I can't really speak for the late night dancing - I'm more of a 'get up at the crack of dawn' kind of person. I thought the cruise director and his crew were definitely more fun and lively on RCCL than on Carnival.

Activities - I feel that RCCL activities were more varied - they had wine tastings and lectures, parades, more pool games etc. Carnival was VERY heavy on trivia games, and just not as, well, lively.

Wine and booze - wine list and service were much better on RCCL. Carnival, however, made the best margarita I have ever had hands down. Carnival’s drink prices were cheaper.

In short, Carnival is a good product, but I just like RCCL better. Decor on RCCL is also a lot tamer and to my taste. I looked at both a Carnival and RCCL cruise leaving from NYC – almost identical itineraries, with RCCL being one more day. Although I could get a suite on Carnival for the same price as an inside on RCCL, I decided I’d rather go for the RCCl cruise, because it’s a better ‘fit’ for me and my teenage son.

Food: Carnival's warm chocolate cake is to die for. Other than that, I like the food on RCCl better

RCCL had grits available in the buffet every morning, on Carnival you had to go to the dining room.

Food is so subjective. I think Iv seen grits next to the oatmeal in the buffet pretty much every morning (on Carnival)?? odd

Dont like warm chocolate melting cake.

We cruised both of these ships also for the convenience of the ports. :)

I still think the cruise we took on RCCL's Explorer was the most active cruise we have ever done on the days at sea... we made full use of the ice skating rink, roller blading, mini-golf, etc. Loved the gym and the variety of classes they had as well.

I thought the food was fairly equivalent on both lines. We liked RCCL's kids club better for the younger ones, and of course, DCL's was the absolute best. I do think Carnival does a better job with the teens, but haven't experienced in person yet.

After having cruised DCL, NCL and RCCL, I have to admit I was a tiny bit disappointed when we cruised the Miracle. A big part of that for me was that we generally are suite passengers and have become used to the special little perks that go with that on the various lines. Carnival does not do much in that department. (Yeah, yeah.. I know I should have known that in advance... dh does all the booking).

I did have the usual concerns about Carnival's reputation as a line for partiers, something we are not. I was definitely more aware of the existence of the late night parties on Carnival than on other cruiselines... I suspect there were simply more of them. But, we tend to be early risers and don't go to the late night events. If they had not been advertised as well as they were, I would not have known. I was never disturbed by them and never noticed any large group of people drinking etc. The family sort of atmosphere we had on the Explorer was the same sort of atmosphere we experienced on the Miracle. I was pleasantly surprised in that regard.

We are returning to the Miracle in just 4 weeks and I cannot wait. :D I am looking foward to my aft wrap-around balcony. In my book, Carnival wins in the end because of the $$.

Archived