indigenous Food Saint Martin

chrisxmoa

i was looking for a indigenous food in saint martin. i would like to try local carribean food. i will be going to Orient beach, any recommendations ?

also i will going to philisburg.

St Maarten offers a variety of foods. It's culture is a mix of French, Italain, Dutch, Creole and Caribbean traditions. Up in Orient Beach, Cafe Plantation is a nice little spot for a mix of island and French cuisine. It's across from the Esmerald Resort. On the beach, Kontiki is a great beach bar serving good seafood. But there are plenty of spots to choose from.

IMO, the best tastes of island food come from the lolos, bbq shacks in Grand Case, but if it's not on your tour route, it's a bit of a drive from Phillipsburg via a taxi.

In Phillipsburg, try Taloula Mango or Island Flavia both on the board walk for Caribbean food.

You mentioned that you were looking for 'indigenous food' of the island.

That would include items such as callaloo soup, salt fish (from Canada, don't you know?), bullfoot soup or, perhaps curried goat stew.

Hilma's Windsor Castle, in Simpson Bay, comes to mind.

Personally, I would just grab lunch at one of the lolo's over in Grand Case. We prefer Germain's.

gary

chrisxmoa...Go to the local bookstore, or big box bookstore or out on Amazon and pick up a copy of Amy Vanderoff's "The Spice Necklace".

It'll give you a good run down on food and receipes, has a couple of chapters on St Marteen.

crew

Archived