Convincing family members

Mysteryreader

Wow! What a wonderful idea!!! We'll be in port in Newport, RI, for a day, and they're meeting us there b/c we can't get too much of our grandkids. How do I check into this BV program???

M/R

It has to be an embarkation port and on a day that a cruise is embarking from that port.(So far US ports only) Call 1-800-Princess to book. Guests are given a booking number just like a cruise.

Is Newport an embarking port? I don't really know much about the East Coast cruising schedule since I am over here on the West side. I sure hope it is something that could work for you.

There are several threads on here that talk about it...try going to the Princess board and searching Bon Voyage.

As a note of encouragement, I have never flown before and have always wanted to cruise. When I finally booked it, DH insisted we would fly to Seattle. Guess what!? I want to cruise so bad--I am getting on that plane. ;) lol So maybe if you choose somewhere she really wants to go, she will get on the boat.

My family is the same way. :( I have no suggestions for you. Nothing works. The more we push, the more they turn and run the other way.

Here are the excuses they have used:

1) kids are too small, will be bored, we won't just "drop them off" with strangers to take care of them

2) they'll fall overboard

3) All people do on cruises is sit around and eat

4) I'll get seasick; I get carsick a lot

5) It's too expensive

6) The rooms are TINY, how can we survive in 150sf

7) "It's not my thing. I don't like to (fill in the blank like zipline, hike, watch cheesy Las Vegas shows all the time)..."

The reality is that they won't know what it's really like till they get on board. And you just can't make them...

I too have offered to pay for my parents and sister's family to go to Alaska. They too said NO! Whatever. :rolleyes:

Katherine

A friend wants to go on a cruise with her two late teen aged children and husband--the husband refuses because no one is going to tell me how to dress for dinner.

But--once people get something in their minds, it is hard to convince them. When I retired from work, I offered to use my "lump sum Leave check money (unused vacation time)" to take husband and all 5 kids on a cruise. My two signed up immediately as they had cruised with me and my father many times. My husband was more than willing but the 3 step-kids were leery. They had cruised a 3 day LA to Mexico in December. The complaints--too much food; small cabins (they had interior cabins); etc, etc, etc. Well--two of the three decided free was free and went along. Best vacation they ever had. I have a collage of pictures from the cruise on the wall in my family room and the two that went love looking at it.

Perhaps have just your son and grandkids go and just leave her at home!

My DSIL also has reservations about cruising - got sick crossing the Irish Sea in a Ferry!! Can't convince him that it's a whole different ballgame. (And have quit trying! Heaven forbid we should hit a storm - we'd all be miserable!!) So the first time we took our family on a cruise we sailed to Bermuda from NY - 2 nights and a day at sea coming and going with 3 days in Bermuda. My daughter and her older child cruised with us. He flew to Bermuda with the younger one and met us when the ship docked. Not a great solution but we did get everyone together in Bermuda and had a great time! Next time we went to Canada with multiple ports. Daughter and children cruised he stayed home and painted the kitchen!!

Don't ever expect to change his mind. Originally thought the Bermuda cruise would do it - He could sail with us and if he didn't like it leave the ship in Bermuda and fly home - but even that made him nervous so he flew!! C'est la vie!! Our next family trip will be a land tour then back to cruising fo sure.

Archived