Another beach question....Jolly or Valley Church

cruisingallover

Jolly is closer to the pier. Valley Church isn't that much further on the same road. We've been to both and prefer Valley Church. It's usually less crowded than Jolly. Both are nice beaches. but if I had to pick one, it's VC.

Thinking of going to either Jolly Beach or Valley Church....which is closer and most cost effective? Why would you choose one over the other.....feedback please.

I have never been to Jolly Beach, but my husband and I were just at Valley Church last week via the Serenade. We loved this beach. I highly recommend it.

We are wondering the same thing. Did you take the bus to Valley church Beach? Anything else you can tell us about the beach?

I thought I read that you can actually walk between the 2 beaches. Anyone done that?

Any information would be helpful!!

Have never done that. Not sure why you would want to.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We went to Valley Church Beach this past January and loved it! I thought it was one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen so far.. I don't think there were moren than 30 people there. We will be back in Antigua this coming January and will definitely go to Valley Church Beach again..

We were just at Valley Church beach a couple of weeks ago and got eaten up by some nasty little critters that even Off wouldn't keep away.

It was a beautiful beach, but I'd check the shady spots and see if the little bugs are there still before commiting to this beach.

We were just at Valley Church beach a couple of weeks ago and got eaten up by some nasty little critters that even Off wouldn't keep away.

It was a beautiful beach, but I'd check the shady spots and see if the little bugs are there still before commiting to this beach.

I don't think this is a common problem since you are the only one who's ever mentioned it. We were there last January and had no problems with any bugs. You may have just had bad luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Chanat , We went to Valley Church last November by bus . $1.50 US pp each way . Very convenient . Wonderful food and entertainment . Awesome beach .

Jet skis available and we highly recommend them as the location is ideal for jet skis . The "Nest" restaurant is great and they rent chairs . Not sure about umbrellas as we were there for the sun and when we were too warm we just moved under the trees for free shade .The bus station is a casual 10 - 15 min walk from port with lots of local shopping options . All along the way the locals are very friendly and helpful . I think it was bus #22 , better directions are available here on the Antigua threads . You will love this beach ! Ted

How did you get to Valley Church Beach and how much did it cost to get there? Is there a place to rent chairs and umbrellas? Thx!

I believe the umbrella was $10.00, chairs were $5.00 ea. We arrived early and were able to secure a shady spot under a tree so an umbrella wasn't necessary.

• 3 weeks later...
You don't pay a day pass fee?

Sue

All beaches on Antigua are public, so you don't have to pay to be on them, but some are hard to get to without going through a hotel unless you have a boat. Fortunately Valley Church and Jolly both have road access, but in the case of Jolly Beach, the access road is often flooded by the laggon behind it. To get on to the beach, ask for directions to Castaways Beach Bar.

Incidentally, it's no longer possible to get to Valley Church from Jolly without going back to the road. There used to be a short cut through Cocos car park, but that's been blocked off.

Just jump on the #22 bus from the entrance to Jolly Harbour. It only takes a minute or two.

Has anyone taken taxi to Valley Church and if so, what was cost? This will be first time in Antigua. Trying to decided if we should tour with ship or strike out on our own.

We were at Valley Church beach in Oct and loved it! Bus #22 takes you right there. It cost about $2.50 pp each way and takes about 20-30 min to get there! The return bus comes by every 30 min or so! A beautiful beach with washrooms, shower, umbrellas and chairs ($20 for 2 chairs + umbrella), and a great restaurant! Try the coconut shrimp! Yummy! We arrived an hour after the ship docked and were the only ones on the beach! We stayed all day and there were probably only 20 people total! Amazing! Enjoy your visit! :)

IMG_0214.jpg.cff46fa76961c26c0081fdc648099197.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg.2144ec4f3f70df5e72b737a7e9d5c97a.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg.259b51fc859beb0ac511e78c30aeca06.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg.522219324f4987e5bd524bf15de3f937.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg.de4071d6a69d6b297ad9c2ebe8bf9ef0.jpg

We were at Valley Church beach in Oct and loved it! Bus #22 takes you right there. It cost about $2.50 pp each way and takes about 20-30 min to get there! The return bus comes by every 30 min or so! A beautiful beach with washrooms, shower, umbrellas and chairs ($20 for 2 chairs + umbrella), and a great restaurant! Try the coconut shrimp! Yummy! We arrived an hour after the ship docked and were the only ones on the beach! We stayed all day and there were probably only 20 people total! Amazing! Enjoy your visit! :)

The cost is $1.50 pp each way. Unless you were overcharged by the driver.

We were at Valley Church Beach in November 2009. One of our favorite beaches in the Caribbean after 7 cruises.

We asked a cab driver at the pier for a ride and he told us $32 return and suggested we find 2 more people so the price per person would be lower.

I found another couple who were reluctant at first but on the way back they thanked us profusely for convincing them to go.

We agreed on a return time with the driver and he was waiting for us at the beach. We also didn't pay him until after the return trip.

Enjoy the beach but don't tell too many people as it is still a peaceful place with all of the amenities to enjoy a great day.

709030203_sMUd4-L.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering about the details....US dollars? And is exact change required?

Also, is there a specific schedule for catching the return bus back to the pier area? We'll be there on a Monday and will have to be back on board by 4:30.

Thanks for your input.

I will be going to Antiqua for the first time and I would like to visit Valley Church Beach - could you please tell me if it is easy to find the bus station from the port. Also I will be solo, do you think I'll be ok. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you

Was just at Valley Church last week. Can't answer your question about the bus station but the beach was very safe. We took a taxi ($16 each way for two of us) - arranged for him to pick us back up and paid at that time. We were the first ones to the beach and were a little nervous not knowing what to expect but by 10:30ish people started to arrive. It's a gorgeous beach. The Beach Bar is called The Nest - get the coconut shrimp. To die for!! Chairs were $5 each - lots of shady places if you like that or you can get an umbrella. Enjoy!!

Was just at Valley Church last week. Can't answer your question about the bus station but the beach was very safe. We took a taxi ($16 each way for two of us) - arranged for him to pick us back up and paid at that time. We were the first ones to the beach and were a little nervous not knowing what to expect but by 10:30ish people started to arrive. It's a gorgeous beach. The Beach Bar is called The Nest - get the coconut shrimp. To die for!! Chairs were $5 each - lots of shady places if you like that or you can get an umbrella. Enjoy!!

Thank you very, very much for this useful info - looking forward to it already!

Sharkwl,

You have convinced me that Valley Church Beach is for us (husband and me), and we'll take the bus! With the bar appearing to have a monopoly, were the drinks reasonably priced?

We also went to Cockleshell in St. Kitts last winter and agree with you that it wasn't great. We would try a different beach next time (we hope).

Our son and DIL live in Cochrane. You've been buried alive with snow this winter and our first snowfall in Halifax was Dec 26 and it didn't stick. NB and other parts of NS have been hit, but we've escaped the snow so far. Did you hear me knock on wood?

Thanks, and happy cruising!

Archived