Significantly more women solo traveling?

puggo63

True, standard (American smooth) only works as a couple. But I've often seen women doing latin (American rhythm) together.

As far as interfering with others on the dance floor- that should be dealt with, by the professional couple teaching a floorcraft class, by a quiet chat with the Hotel Manager, or whatever it takes. But simple "exhibitionism"? Who cares- just don't look.

This thread, including some gratuitous male bashing, overlooks one basic fact: there are more solo ladies cruising than men because statistically you normally outlive us men by several years!

Bob

But you are making an assumption that all 'solo' women travelling are older? I am married with 3 kids and not'retired' or senior and travel solo - and have met many young women (married and single) cruising solo. The fact that we may outlive men has nothing to do with it!

I have traveled fairly extensively both personally and professionally both in and outside of North America, Caribbean, Asia and Europe. Professionally, my experience the mix is about 60% solo male 40% solo female business travelers. Personally, my experience is about 95+% solo female and an occasional guy or group of guys together. Most people when hearing I am alone, usually react kind of surprised and responses range from the said or unsaid version of "you must be a friendless loser" to sort of shocked to the one I really hate, "you are so brave". What is so brave about leaving the house by yourself??

I have many good friends almost all part of a couple or family unit. I also get a lot more vacation time then the few solo friends I have. The world is a big beautiful place and I want to see as much of while I can. The sunset, seaside and ocean are no less beautiful by oneself than as part of a couple. Keep traveling!

As a late 40s single guy, I had more of my share of weird attitudes or perceptions from people when I have traveled solo. I have never been on a cruise so I have become a "pathological lurker (lol)" on CC just absorbing all the info! Here is where I noticed the very high percentage of solo women traveling versus men and what little solo men cruising I found on CC - all were either widowed or divorced or much older and retired ( please correct me if I am wrong!)

I do have single friends and there are times that due to conflicting work schedules or work related issues, financial reasons, etc - we can't all go on vacation together. I am a very independent soul and outgoing so I just take off and go when I can such a long weekends etc.

As a solo guy traveling I have experienced both families and solo women traveling being very very wary of talking to or befriending a single guy. I understand in this day and age, I could be anybody - and realistically I don't blame them (hey I have little nephews and I am extremely protective of them!) - but I get tired of that paranoid look of "OMG he could be a terrorist, pedophile, sociopath killer, crazy." This is probably my main reason why I don't go on a cruise solo - and being imprisoned with people like that for days at sea LOL. Gee....I didn't know I have all those evil personalities or looked so threatening LOL!!! :eek:

As a solo guy traveling I have experienced both families and solo women traveling being very very wary of talking to or befriending a single guy. I understand in this day and age, I could be anybody - and realistically I don't blame them (hey I have little nephews and I am extremely protective of them!) - but I get tired of that paranoid look of "OMG he could be a terrorist, pedophile, sociopath killer, crazy." This is probably my main reason why I don't go on a cruise solo - and being imprisoned with people like that for days at sea LOL. Gee....I didn't know I have all those evil personalities or looked so threatening LOL!!! :eek:

For the record, I have actually heard people tell each other (especially familes to their kids) those thoughts about me ( I didn't assume them). Wait... not only am I threatening looking but I am a monster LMAO!!!!!:eek::D

I guess I never thought about it but you might be right? I suppose a lone woman travelling would not be considered dangerous, or a terrorist pedophile sociopath - while a long man might seem to be more suspicious - but I suspect it wouldn't matter if you were on a cruise or a land vacation would it? And of course once people got to know you (like all the other solos at your dining room table) they would realize you were not a monster after all? Right? :D:D

Nope I am not a monster normally but I become one the first full moon of a New Year then I become a deranged sociopath killer the first day of Spring - so I am just fine in-between and I normally travel in between those days anyways so everyone is safe :D See I am not so bad! ;)

I had not thought about it from your point of view either poggo63. I can see how a single man may be more threatening that a single woman. It is unfortunate that the need for people to be wary of undesirable persons has made the possibility of solo sailing less attractive to you.

Janet

Archived