No summer cruises out of San Diego going south?

keenercam

We are considering doing a cruise next summer to see the Mexican Riviera or the west coast of California, but I've been coming across only cruises headed north to Seattle, Alaska and Vancouver.

Can anyone suggest a cruise line for a late June or early July cruise?

We are considering doing a cruise next summer to see the Mexican Riviera or the west coast of California, but I've been coming across only cruises headed north to Seattle, Alaska and Vancouver.

Can anyone suggest a cruise line for a late June or early July cruise?

In 2011, the only cruise headed south during the summer is Carnival. The Carnival Splendor leaves from Long Beach on Sundays and goes to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo, returning to Long Beach the following Sunday.

DSC_0359.jpg

Cuizer2 -- Thank you for your prompt response. I thought I was missing something. Can you answer a couple more questions?

1. Is there some reason why that is not a "popular" itinerary for other cruise lines in the summer? Is it likely due to the weather? Just too hot?

2. Since that is the only ship doing that itinerary, do you think it would tend to be disproportionately expensive? That is, since it has somewhat "cornered" the market, can they just command any price they want? Is it likely the ship will be completely sold out because it is the only option?

Cuizer2 -- Thank you for your prompt response. I thought I was missing something. Can you answer a couple more questions?

1. Is there some reason why that is not a "popular" itinerary for other cruise lines in the summer? Is it likely due to the weather? Just too hot?

2. Since that is the only ship doing that itinerary, do you think it would tend to be disproportionately expensive? That is, since it has somewhat "cornered" the market, can they just command any price they want? Is it likely the ship will be completely sold out because it is the only option?

1) There are two reasons. One, it is HOT. Two, the ships that are on the West Coast move to Alaska during the summer.

2) The summer will be more expensive because that is when families with school aged children like to cruise. That said, lets look at some prices for some of the cruises on the Carnival Splendor to the Mexican Riviera. All the prices listed below are for the lowest priced balcony cabin ...

December 5-12 ... $739

December 12-19 ... $759

December 19-26 ... $1,079

Dec 26 - Jan 2 ... $1,359

March 6-13, 13-20 & 20-27 ... $759

March 27 - April 3 ... $799

April 3-10 ... $809

April 10-17 ... $859

April 17-24 ... $869

April 24, 2011 is Easter Sunday

April 24- May 1 ... $839

May 1-8 ... $789

May 8-15 ... $759

May 15-22 ... $779

May 22-29 ... $799

May 29-June 5 ... $819

June 5-12 ... $899

June 12-19 ... $959

June 19-26 ... $969

June 26-July 3 ... $949

July 3-10, 10-17, 17-27 & 24-31 ... $949

As you can see, the Christmas / New Years time is the most expensive. Prices go up again around Easter and go back down until summer, when the prices go up again, but not as much as during Christmas / New Years (when there are more ships going to the Mexican Riviera than there are during the summer).

In this case demand is more controlling than supply. The reason is, if someone wants to cruise, they can choose to go anywhere, so being the only ship in town only matters to those that drive to the port. So supply remains fairly constant. However, as demand rises, so do the prices.

Wow! That is so helpful. As you can imagine, it's hard for me to determine whether the prices I was seeing were reasonable when I had nothing to compare them to vis a vis other ships/lines doing the same itinerary at the same time of year. At least this gives me something to compare those summer prices to. Thank you.

It''s not just about the heat, the weather on the Pacific Coast of Mexico can also be very wet during the summer months, which accounts for the fact that tourism is down at that time of year and the ships head north for the Alaska run.

Last year, DW and I sailed the Splendor twice in the fall. Our rooms were inside and priced at $279/pp for the 7 day.

As usual it's all about the money.

Cruise lines make nearly all their profit from onboard spending

Passengers sailing from San Diego to Mexico in Summer spend an average of $50 per person per day on a cruise.

Passengers sailing to Alaska in Summer spend nearly double that amount per day.

If you owned a cruise line, where would you choose to sail your ships?

Plus: it's kinda difficult to sail a cruiseship in Alaska during the winter.

Seriously, people tend to find going south to Mexico during the summer on the very hot side. During the late fall and winter months, it's an attractive itinerary, especially among those who live in cold weather climates (especially if they are burnt out on the Caribbean itineraries).

I feel like I have so many experts at my disposal to answer my questions, so I am going to take advantage and ask another:

Is it wicked hot doing a Hawaian island cruise in the summer months?

I was on the big island for a week in July 2003 and I didn't think it was too hot (and for me anything over 70 is hot).

I feel like I have so many experts at my disposal to answer my questions, so I am going to take advantage and ask another:

Is it wicked hot doing a Hawaian island cruise in the summer months?

Unfortunately the only option for Hawaiian cruises in the summers (until Princess brings back their summer sailings) is NCL and those just go around the islands. Not a round trip from the west coast. A friend of mine just came back from going on the Pride ship, because she had a major credit due to a problem on her previous cruise on the same ship a few years ago. She doesn't want to use NCL again.

If you can go between late September and late April, consider the RTs out of LA or SD. I know that we want to repeat our Princess Hawaiian cruise.

Archived