Rum Factory?

cnie414

Hello all- i cruise in a few weeks on the legend and for grand cayman we have booked the reef, rays, and rum point beach tour with native way- so excited! my friend and i are wondering if the rum factory (i've heard there is one right?) is in close enough proximity to rum point beach for us to get cheap transportation and a quick tour of once we are done. has anyone ever been to the rum factory? is it worth it? free samples?!? thanks for any help you can give! - Claire

Hello all- i cruise in a few weeks on the legend and for grand cayman we have booked the reef, rays, and rum point beach tour with native way- so excited! my friend and i are wondering if the rum factory (i've heard there is one right?) is in close enough proximity to rum point beach for us to get cheap transportation and a quick tour of once we are done. has anyone ever been to the rum factory? is it worth it? free samples?!? thanks for any help you can give! - Claire

You may be thinking about the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory. There are several stores in the area and the factory itself is a short cab ride from the pier. However, there is a Cayman island rum, Seven Fathoms, that offers tours of its distillery. Here's a link to the website with info.

http://www.sevenfathomsrum.com/index.html

Seven Fathoms Rum is distilled in Grand Cayman.

"Seven Fathoms™ is a Premium Rum hand crafted in small batches at our George Town Harbor distillery. Located in Grand Cayman, the Seven Fathoms Distillery is the first of its kind in the Cayman Islands. Seven Fathoms is truly a unique spirit. It is the first spirit to be made entirely in the Cayman Islands, despite a West Indian history deeply embedded in the rum industries and culture."

http://www.sevenfathomsrum.com/index.html

Tortuga Rums are distilled in Jamaica.

Nothing is close to Rum Point Beach. :D There's one small gift shop and a beach bar/restaurant. That's pretty much it.

However, as others have said, there are stores close to the port area where you can try rum and rum cake samples. Depending on your tour times, you might have time before or after to grab a quick taxi to the Rum Cake factory, but IMO it's not really worth the rush.

Haven't been to the Seven Fathoms distillery yet, but it's close enough you could maybe get to it and back before or after your tour...depending on your times...you'd have to really keep an eye on your watch, though... :D

Archived