Getting bumped on an NCL cruise

cs

I was reading the Cruise Critic story "Could You Be Bumped From Your Next Cruise" http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=340 and wondered if it's ever happened to you on an NCL ship.

I would be okay with them offering to bump me for overbooking the cabin but I'm sure I'd be upset if I didn't get a say in the matter.

It happens extremely rarely and I have never heard of it being done involuntarily except when they do a full ship charter. What happens is they make offers to people until they get enough volunteers to voluntarily give up their cabin for another cruise.

The article is mostly about what happens when a ship gets chartered. Most of the time, you get at least six months notice of that happening. Sometimes in an emergency it happens with less notice(I think Carnival chartered three ships for Katrina as living space). Normally on a charter they offer a small OBC and possibly pay any cost of changing nonrefundable tickets but not always...

and you will have no say on whether they charter the ship or not.

I was reading the Cruise Critic story "Could You Be Bumped From Your Next Cruise" http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=340 and wondered if it's ever happened to you on an NCL ship.

I would be okay with them offering to bump me for overbooking the cabin but I'm sure I'd be upset if I didn't get a say in the matter.

See my signature lines, below, for something approximating what you are looking for. The Sun was redeployed to different saltwater. It was no big deal though; we got better digs on the Pearl for no additional money, and they tossed in an OBC of $100. They did it early enough that, in our case, it didn't impact any other travel arrangements we had made. (The sig lines also indicate that, in the final two weeks, we were upsold to a suite.)

InThe

It definitey happens. We got bumped on our SUN B2B sailing this coming January die to the Sun going into dry dock.

NCL treated us about as good as can be expected. They let us rebook, gave us a $100 OBC and also covered $300 on our airfare flight changes.

Years ago I organized a group on RCI, a 10-day in late January. Come Novmeber the cruise lines calls and asks if anybody would consider changing to a 14 - day Christmas/News Years cruise. No extra charge, equal accomadations and a $300.00 cabin credit. Well, since I had organized the group I already had a "free" cabin. So I changed and basically RCI gave me $300.00 in spending money!

I really miss the old days of cruising! :D

We just got bumped from our Carnival Pride cruise in November-- they're going to put the ship into drydock 2 months earlier than originally planned, so we were just S.O.L.! Took weeks to get our deposit back, too. All they offered was $100 OBC if we book another Carnival cruise by 2012.

It's the reason we're going on the Jewel instead.

I would say 'flip a coin for it'. heads I win tails I walk

Thats diplomatic! lol

Believe or not I have booked two cruises with NCL and both cruise ships were dry docked. Yup, seriously, two of them. The first one was my honeymoon to Hawaii and the second was a Western Caribbean. The Hawaii cruise we booked the Pride of Ahola then it switch to Pride of America. The Western Caribbean Cruise we booked the Pearl and then canceled then booked another cruise to the bahamas on the Sky. What a mess! But I think NCL took care of us. :) We will be sailing again in October on the Pearl so we shall see was happens. :D

It happens extremely rarely and I have never heard of it being done involuntarily except when they do a full ship charter. What happens is they make offers to people until they get enough volunteers to voluntarily give up their cabin for another cruise.

The article is mostly about what happens when a ship gets chartered. Most of the time, you get at least six months notice of that happening. Sometimes in an emergency it happens with less notice(I think Carnival chartered three ships for Katrina as living space). Normally on a charter they offer a small OBC and possibly pay any cost of changing nonrefundable tickets but not always...

and you will have no say on whether they charter the ship or not.

I was one of the folks bumped from a Carnival ship after Katrina. Hard to be mad about that, y'know?

The cruise was already a chartered cruise, I think - the Rock Boat. We got our money refunded, and I think if you were able to go on the next one there was some kind of OBC or cabin upgrade or something. Unfortunately for me, they totally changed the timing (from October to January) and I wasn't able to use whatever it was they offered.

In 2008, the Pearl was changed from 9 and 5 day cruises to 7 day. We had booked a 9 day southern Caribbean, and read about the change here on CC. I checked the rate for the Jewel 9 day and found the fare had jumped a lot, and the reservation folks couldn't do anything for me. I lost my cool, and made one of those "never cruise them again" posts. Of course, I talked to NCL executive offices, and they met my original booking price. So, itinerary changes do occur, and NCL will work to give fair re-accommodation.

Al

Funny - when I hear the term bump, I think of somebody showing up the day of the cruise and being told they are out of cabins. That is very very rare, and in fact have not heard on one case in watching this board in 2-3 years.

Archived