Knossos - Guide Needed?

jgrahamiii

I've looked around the board, and it seems that the best way to get from the ship to the Palace of Knossos is either bus or taxi from town (not from ship). Once we get there I understand that there will be guides for hire. Anyone know how desirable it is to get a guide and how much? Also are there taxi's in Crete that take 6? Thanks! -John

I think you could go without a guide, there are signs throughout the site which provide information on the most important aspects of the site and I didn't think the guide added all that much. There's plenty of information available on the internet, maybe do a little reading up on it beforehand and I think you'd be fine without one.

We took a city bus which let us off at the entrance,bought a guide book and explored the site ourselves.It was easy to do but remember hats and water as there was little shade. If you have time go to the museum in town afterwards,it was close to the bus stop.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. We're in port for about 9 hours. Besides Knossos and the museum, and just kind of wandering around town, any other suggestions for things to do while in Crete in late October (I don't think we can count on having a beach day). -John

We took a city bus which let us off at the entrance,bought a guide book and explored the site ourselves.It was easy to do but remember hats and water as there was little shade. If you have time go to the museum in town afterwards,it was close to the bus stop.

Exactly what we did. And if I had to do it over again, I would do the same thing.

btw, the taxis at the port are a real rip.

Either could be done in 4 hours would recommend go to Knossos as soon as boat will let you leave as we spent all morning there it is impressive.The museum has many of the artifacts and is interesting but does not compare in importance.We went 4years ago at that time we were sold a dual ticket for both exhibits.The ship tour took people to both places in about 4 hours,but the groups were herded through quickly.The museum is on the way back to the ship so you might be able to pop in for a quick visit but I doubt it.

Archived