Buying Cigarettes on the Conquest - Please respond

LCTXcruiser

Is that the same with alcohol?? I thought if you brought in extra you pay the duty:confused:

I know on our custom form it says 1ltr of booze or 200 smokes.. I dont remember reading that you can't bring anymore that that and not be able to pay duty??:confused:

Alcohol is different. If you go over your limit on alcohol, you just pay the duty.

Alcohol is different. If you go over your limit on alcohol, you just pay the duty.

This is what they say for us Canucks..

Tobacco

You are allowed to bring in all of the following amounts of tobacco into Canada without paying duty:

• 200 cigarettes;
  • 50 cigars or cigarillos;
  • 200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; and
  • 200 tobacco sticks.

If you include cigarettes, tobacco sticks or manufactured tobacco in your personal allowance, a partial exemption may apply. You will have to pay a special duty on these products unless they are marked "CANADA - DUTY PAID ? DROIT ACQUITTÉ." You will find Canadian-made products sold at a duty-free shop marked this way.

If you bring in more than your personal allowance, you will have to pay regular duties and assessments on the excess amount, which can be very substantial.

It doesnt say an amount tho???

Is that the same with alcohol?? I thought if you brought in extra you pay the duty:confused:

I know on our custom form it says 1ltr of booze or 200 smokes.. I dont remember reading that you can't bring anymore that that and not be able to pay duty??:confused:

You are allowed to go over your limit on BOOZE, but you must pay a duty on them (which usually clobbers the cost advantage).

I don't think you can pay a duty on going over your limit with smokes, though. I think anything over one carton/person is confiscated. FWIW, the one time I was checked, I had a carton of Marlboros and 2 packs right next to it and the customs officer just shrugged his shoulders and sent me on my way. :)

Again, I will stand corrected, these rules keep changing from month to month it seems.:eek:

You will save even more money if you say no to smokes, let alone add years to your life, and save on insurance and medical bills. Should I say more?

There's always the righteous few in here that need to interrupt and not answer the OP's question.

Obviously, you can buy them on board at reduced prices. The point of 200 cigarettes are obviously to give a numeric value as some packs hold more than 20 cigarettes so that's why it's not one carton but 200 cigs.

To my knowledge, the only cruise line that holds them is Princess. On that cruise, I just bought them in port instead of on the ship. They were cheaper anyway.

If you go to St Thomas, there is that liquor store across the street (Big Al's I think?) and they had 5 cartons for $100. You can bring 5 cartons back from the USVI.

Anywhere else it is just 1 carton (or 200 cigs) per person.

I always get some for my mother. (Yeah, she should quit, blah blah blah) She is retired and this saves her a lot of money.

As for customs, sometimes they ask, sometimes they just let you go. I was asked how many cigs I had 1x. When I brought the 5 cartons back they didn't even look at my bag.

Funny about booze, at Port Can getting off the sensation, people had multiple boxes of stuff, and the customs agents didn't even blink an eye. I guess they have larger fish to fry than people bringing in extra alcohol.

This is what they say for us Canucks..

Tobacco

You are allowed to bring in all of the following amounts of tobacco into Canada without paying duty:

• 200 cigarettes;
  • 50 cigars or cigarillos;
  • 200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; and
  • 200 tobacco sticks.

If you include cigarettes, tobacco sticks or manufactured tobacco in your personal allowance, a partial exemption may apply. You will have to pay a special duty on these products unless they are marked "CANADA - DUTY PAID ? DROIT ACQUITTÉ." You will find Canadian-made products sold at a duty-free shop marked this way.

If you bring in more than your personal allowance, you will have to pay regular duties and assessments on the excess amount, which can be very substantial.

It doesnt say an amount tho???

Very nice but the OP lists his location as being in the US, so these rules don't apply. As a note to the OP seeing that you live in Texas, you have special state rules about liquor.

Archived