Anyone ever go on a cruise without a swim suit?

ladycaveat

On our recent Freedom of the Seas cruise, there was a larger lady who was out at the FlowRider with us every morning for a couple of hours having a ball. I don't remember her as "the fat girl from flowrider", I remember her (& her husband) as the the couple we had great fun with.

I'm no stick insect myself, but I think 1) I'm never going to see any of these people again & 2) most of them are far more concerned worrying about their own bodies to worry about mine.

Okay, lose 5 pounds ,a good swimsuit takes off a good 15 pounds, so there you go, 20 pounds gone. you're looking good girl, who knows you may come home with husband # 3. lol

Too funny! I know they say that "three is a charm" but don't think that applies to marriages. Two was more than enough for me. If I could lose five pounds and find a swimsuit that took fifteen pounds off . . . I'd be on top of that like flies on honey. :p

Well i just poured the honey, it's called newport news .com they have swimsuits called shape fx. helps with problem areas like tummy, hips, waist,etc. BELIVE ME WHEN I TELL YOU 15 LBS GONE.:D

Wow . . . checked out that website and even those swimsuits for plus size look fantastic. If I looked like any of those models . . . I'd definately strut around . . . even minus a cover up. Wish they'd use real plus size women to model instead of plus size 12 models. Would love to see some of these suits on women who wear a 16W to even larger sizes . . . such as a 20W.

oh bye the way the cover up is called a paleo, it ties on the side makes the waist look smaller, so you see i can easily lose 20 lbs without giving up my cake.LOL on a serious note i wanted to lose 30 lbs before my cruise in november , i've lost 7 so who knows, need to lose 8 more, i can fake the other 15.

I've been on about 10 cruises and my upcoming one is the first one where I actually plan on wearing a swimsuit. I brought one on my last cruise but I didn't wear it because I wasn't comfortable enough with the idea. I was probably a size 16-18 on that cruise and I'm now a 12-14. My cruise is in December and I hope to go down one more size by then but if not I'll be happy going as I am now. I've bought three suits for this cruise (one is going back because there's no way I need three) but I second the poster who recommended Target because two of my suits are from there and I was really happy with the coverage. My mom and I booked a Courtyard villa for this cruise so I think this will be a good way for me to ease into wearing a swimsuit in public because the sundeck won't have as many people as the main pool area and the small pool in the courtyard won't be crowded at all.

I have had the worst time these past few weeks finding a suit to fit. 16 doesn't fit but 16W is too big. I just can't seem to find the right size. I am so mad that I did not lose the 10 pounds that it would take to get into my old suits but it is 2 weeks from our cruise and it's not going to happen now. We all beat ourselves up but I think the poster who said everybody is going to be too busy worrying about how they look to focus on you is right on. In 12 cruises I only remember one young lady (about 30) who had to be 300 pounds and had a bright pink bathing suit on and was in the pool. And you know what I thought? "Good for you"!

Go and have fun! And by the way, if anybody is interested, I just ordered a suit from onestopplus and there is a 30% discount code OSPTHIRTY

Glad to hear you bought a suit! I'm heavier than I want to be, and I'll be cruising in a couple of weeks. I bought a suit that I don't feel like a beauty queen in, but I want to have one with me so I'm not left out of anything I decide I want to do.

I've also thought lately about not wanting our photos taken, deleting photos, etc., because we're not model material. Hey, that lets out half my life! So, let's just enjoy ourselves to the max and take a photo of that!

I have had the worst time these past few weeks finding a suit to fit. 16 doesn't fit but 16W is too big. I just can't seem to find the right size. I am so mad that I did not lose the 10 pounds that it would take to get into my old suits but it is 2 weeks from our cruise and it's not going to happen now. We all beat ourselves up but I think the poster who said everybody is going to be too busy worrying about how they look to focus on you is right on. In 12 cruises I only remember one young lady (about 30) who had to be 300 pounds and had a bright pink bathing suit on and was in the pool. And you know what I thought? "Good for you"!

Go and have fun! And by the way, if anybody is interested, I just ordered a suit from onestopplus and there is a 30% discount code OSPTHIRTY

Have you tried a 14W? Not even sure they make them . . . a 16W was what I "used" to wear before I stopped smoking and sort of "grew" in size. :p Tammy

Glad to hear you bought a suit! I'm heavier than I want to be, and I'll be cruising in a couple of weeks. I bought a suit that I don't feel like a beauty queen in, but I want to have one with me so I'm not left out of anything I decide I want to do.

I've also thought lately about not wanting our photos taken, deleting photos, etc., because we're not model material. Hey, that lets out half my life! So, let's just enjoy ourselves to the max and take a photo of that!

Tee Hee . . . I'm not even taking a camera on this cruise. Heaven forbid someone takes a picture of me with it. :eek:

My cousin is going through this debate as well - whether to bring a suit or not. We were just on a cruise together and as a size 20 she definitely wasn't the heaviest woman by the pool/hot tub but she was so focused on how she looked it really prevented her from letting loose and being the hilarious confident person she normally is. She just told me she is booking another cruise in november and I really do hope she can enjoy the pool and beach since it's in the Caribbean.

Just to touch on what another poster said - we are all too focused on ourselves to look around and care too much about what others' look like...except maybe beer bellyed men in neon colored thong speedos who are in desperate need of major manscaping - they are the ones I giggle at :)

On my last transatlantic cruise, we were on the 'adult only' deck.

There was a woman who'd obviously just had a boob job.... scars still showing!

She was laying on her back near the stairs, so everybody could appreciate the dollars she's spent....

I was with 2 large ladies in swimsuits....

Guess who everybody was staring at!!

Tammy, I suppose my point is..... don't be self-conscious just because you've gained a little weight...

There's always somebody more interesting to look at than one of many larger ladies in a swimsuit!!

And.... congrats for giving up smoking.... that's huge!!!!:)

On my last transatlantic cruise, we were on the 'adult only' deck.

There was a woman who'd obviously just had a boob job.... scars still showing!

She was laying on her back near the stairs, so everybody could appreciate the dollars she's spent....

I was with 2 large ladies in swimsuits....

Guess who everybody was staring at!!

Tammy, I suppose my point is..... don't be self-conscious just because you've gained a little weight...

There's always somebody more interesting to look at than one of many larger ladies in a swimsuit!!

And.... congrats for giving up smoking.... that's huge!!!!:)

Thanks and not smoking anymore has been one of the hardest things I'ver ever done. Unfortunately . . . I've gained twenty-five pounds in the process and believe me, I was pretty heavy to start with. By the way, I think I've told you before that your icon is one of the cutest I'ver ever seen . . . :p

Just couldn't decide what suit goes with glaciers!!:)

Actually, even though I've been a swimmer all my life and love snorkeling on cruises I've only been in one ship's pool, as I remember.

I wear water shorts as being a lot more useful on excursions.

Congrats on the quitting smoking, a lot of us have been down that road.:)

And that other thing, "All my ex's live in Texas"!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I wear a size 32 and I have never been the largest lady in a bathing suit on any cruise I have been on. Woman Within has great suits in all sorts of sizes. I know that I am a large lady, but I refuse to be held back from water activities because of that. I have also never seen anybody really staring at me or making comments, but I have seen a lot of ogling and commenting on the nice shapely women in bikinis.

I'm plus size and like you quit smoking a few years ago and gained weight. And haven't lost it. That being said, I'm taking three swimsuits. I'm not saying I won't be self consciencous but I'm going to try and be positive. There will always be someone bigger than me (lol) and dressed way more inappropriately. Have fun. Life's too short to worry about what everyone else is thinking. Be proud of yourself for not smoking and put on that swimsuit and have yourself a ball!!:D:D

What a great thread!

I'm also plus sized - although I have lost almost 200lbs in the last several years, I'm still about 50lbs overweight - not to mention all the excess skin that I've acquired as I've lost the weight.

Anyway, I haven't worn a bathing suit in like 25 years. I lost my husband 3 years ago and ventured out into the dating pool earlier this year. Met a wonderful guy (never thought that would happen again!) and we are going on the Sky for 4 days a week from tomorrow.

I did buy a bathing suit and various coverups. I am so self-conscious. My friend loves to snorkel and I don't want to be a party pooper, so I'll be joining him on the various excursions. I guess my question is how to get from wearing the coverup over the bathing suit to putting a tshirt on to go into the water and then getting the tshirt off and the cover up on again. Ugh...the stress of if all!!

In my head I know that nobody is looking at me - and have to keep telling myself that.

Stacey

My husband and I were packing last night and since we are going carry-on only to Europe for two weeks our suitcases are quite full. I turned to him and asked if we would miss our swimsuits if we didn't pack them. He immediately said no. So we pulled them out. We have been on a couple of cruises and other than the beach at Cozumel, we never used the swimsuit. Crowded pools on cruise ships don't interest me and we live in Florida, where we can go to a pool every day of the year. So out came the swimsuits!

Wow 200lbs that's wonderful ,stop worrying about what people think, you have a new friend that cares about the real you, your going on a cruise,so to heck with what people think, but if it makes you feel better you can always wear swim pants, most people that judge other people are not happy within themselves, enjoy your cruise:D

Thanks and not smoking anymore has been one of the hardest things I'ver ever done. Unfortunately . . . I've gained twenty-five pounds in the process and believe me, I was pretty heavy to start with. By the way, I think I've told you before that your icon is one of the cutest I'ver ever seen . . . :p

Hi,

I haven't read the other posts, but I know of a place called Junonia.com and they sell plus size swimwear. Most of my weight is in my hips and I could never find a pull on swim skirt long enough, but I found one there. I bought two one sporty and the other more elegant (drawstring on the side) for asymetrical style. I'm tall 5'11 and it's about 2inches above my knees. They have longer ones as well. I feel so comfortable walking around deck in it. I'm really self concious about my hips. Now I can go in the pool or jacuzzi and not have to worry about keeping my coverup close to me so I can put it on immediately after coming out. I go right in with my swim skirt..now I'm free.

Check out the site if you don't know about it already.

I quite smoking over 20yrs ago and yes I did gain weight, but you will begin to level off with the eating. I have heavy hips due to the inability to really exercise that area because of spine problems. I had two spine surgeries (fusions) (and gained too inches to my height :)) due to an accident and I'm still in pain so it makes it really hard, but I do what I can so many people dont have perfect body types for many reasons..and it's no ones business. You go and enjoy your cruise.

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking:) Major kudos!:D

And as for the suit, go with what makes you feel better but sounds

like you already have;). I am a 16 now and still wear bathing suits

on cruises although I am not one to "layout"......sometimes I put it on

with a coverup for the whole day on the ship. Basically, instead of shorts/

capris, and a top I will hang out in my suit and coverup.

Sometimes I do beach excursions but sometimes not. Sometimes I use

the hot tubs so I definitely bring bathing suits with me.

Hope you have a great time.:)

Hi Lois and thank you. Nine days and I'll be leaving on my cruise. I''m taking my swim suit . . . whether or not I wear it is another thing. :p

Archived