Anyone ever go on a cruise without a swim suit?

ladycaveat

I'm larger than all of the posters I've seen so far! I wear anywhere from 22-24-26! I have a couple of swimsuits and have purchased two more for my September cruise. Walmart and Target both have some cute tankini type pieces cheap on their websites right now. I work with a lady who is smaller than me and will not wear shorts or swimsuit and go out and enjoy the sun. I say, "I paid for this opportunity to get into the beautiful carribean blue water and snorkel, swim or whatever else I want to do! If they don't like it, they can look the other way!" :p I plan to fully enjoy myself with my family on such a wonderful trip. We can't wait!

Bless your heart . . . you have definitely given me the courage to go for it. And to all the others that have said the same thing . . . I thank you.

This will be a first for me but I've decided not to take a bathing suit with me on my cruise next month to the Eastern Caribbean. Actually, I've gained so much weight that my swim suits don't ever fit anymore and I refuse to buy bigger ones. I'm sixty-three and stopped smoking a few months ago and it's really taken a toll on my weight (snacks instead of a smoke). Plan to go on Nutrisystem as soon as I return from my cruise but in the mean time . . . I haven't a clue what I'm going to do on a cruise that is, for the most part, beach intensive (Pride to Freeport, Grand Turks and a private island beach). Does anyone else skip the sun, sand, beach and on board swimming pool? If so, what do you do while everyone else is sitting in the sun and playing in the serf and you aren't?

I know what you are talking about re: size. I'm a fluffy woman myself and I just ordered 2 new bathing suits online from a place called "swimsuits for all". They came in the mail today, and while other people may not like them I do, and that is all that matters. Don't miss out on the fun/sun/water just because of your size. When I cruise I look around and see people much larger than me in way less suit than me. It's your vacation enjoy it. I know I always do.

Okay, I did it . . . ordered a really pretty blue and black floral swim dress and a cute black knee length cover up. We'll see when they arrive whether I have the nerve to wear them on my cruise next month. :p:)

Good for you!

Enjoy your cruise. No one cares if you're at your ideal weight or not.

Kudos on giving up the cigarettes!

Have a blast!

I've been on cruise critics for years but this was the first time I've ever posted anything "personal." I should have known but I can't tell ya all how much I've appreciated ya all replies to this post. You guys have given me the encouragement and confident to wear a swim suit . . . no matter how embarrased I feel about how big I am. I can't thank you enough . . . Tammy

I am a size 22-24 and despite my goal of losing 50 lbs for my upcoming cruise in 3 weeks...yeah, didn't happen. I bought 2 new suits from Lands End and I want to create fantastic memories with my 10 yr old daughter of her mom playing with her at the beach and pool. I grew up with a mother that never went in the pool with us because she didn't want to get her hair wet. I have no memories of her swimming with us.

You only go around this world once and it is my duty to teach my young daughter that self confidence starts from within and not from what others think of you.

And if this philosophy doesn't work...I just try to remember that I will never see anyone on the boat ever again! :D

Hi! I'm glad that you brought this topic up. I'm heavier than I prefer and also have religious reasons for dressing reasonably modestly. When I was first shopping for swimwear, I googled "modest swim." There are a lot of companies that make modest and higher-coverage swimwear. Plus, higher-coverage swimwear can help reduce sun exposure.

I prefer to buy from an online company called "Hydro-Chic." Their stuff is cute, not frumpy and lasts forever. Almost all of these companies carry Plus sizes and/or will do custom orders.

You also might want to consider using surf wear as swimwear. Rash guard tops and board shorts cover a lot.

I hope that this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

~Amber

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking:) Major kudos!:D

And as for the suit, go with what makes you feel better but sounds

like you already have;). I am a 16 now and still wear bathing suits

on cruises although I am not one to "layout"......sometimes I put it on

with a coverup for the whole day on the ship. Basically, instead of shorts/

capris, and a top I will hang out in my suit and coverup.

Sometimes I do beach excursions but sometimes not. Sometimes I use

the hot tubs so I definitely bring bathing suits with me.

Hope you have a great time.:)

Thanks Lois! I've decided that if this swimdress I ordered actually fits . . . I'm going for it! By the way, you and I have chatted on here for years and it's so nice nice to know you are still on CC. One of these days we really are gonna end up on the same cruise . . . . Tammy

Thanks Lois! I've decided that if this swimdress I ordered actually fits . . . I'm going for it! By the way, you and I have chatted on here for years and it's so nice nice to know you are still on CC. One of these days we really are gonna end up on the same cruise . . . . Tammy

Hi Tammy,:D thanks and good to see you again as well:) maybe one

day you will sail on Celebrity again;)

We have both chatted on here for a long, long time!

Oh, please let us know if the suit fits!

This will be a first for me but I've decided not to take a bathing suit with me on my cruise next month to the Eastern Caribbean. Actually, I've gained so much weight that my swim suits don't ever fit anymore and I refuse to buy bigger ones. I'm sixty-three and stopped smoking a few months ago and it's really taken a toll on my weight (snacks instead of a smoke). Plan to go on Nutrisystem as soon as I return from my cruise but in the mean time . . . I haven't a clue what I'm going to do on a cruise that is, for the most part, beach intensive (Pride to Freeport, Grand Turks and a private island beach). Does anyone else skip the sun, sand, beach and on board swimming pool? If so, what do you do while everyone else is sitting in the sun and playing in the serf and you aren't?
I vote NO!

Remember that you're not going to be the only person onboard who's unhappy with her weight. If you're self-conscious, forbid your husband to bring the camera ashore, but WEAR THAT SWIMSUIT, and HAVE FUN! Why sacrafice your vacation enjoyment? You'll never see the majority of the people onboard again anyway.

I am a size 22-24 and despite my goal of losing 50 lbs for my upcoming cruise in 3 weeks...yeah, didn't happen. I bought 2 new suits from Lands End and I want to create fantastic memories with my 10 yr old daughter of her mom playing with her at the beach and pool. I grew up with a mother that never went in the pool with us because she didn't want to get her hair wet. I have no memories of her swimming with us.

You only go around this world once and it is my duty to teach my young daughter that self confidence starts from within and not from what others think of you.

And if this philosophy doesn't work...I just try to remember that I will never see anyone on the boat ever again! :D

Lands End is a great place to get suits with plenty of coverage.

Woman come in all different shapes and sizes, yes i'm a plus size woman, the prettiest woman my husband has ever seen, anyway that's what he told me and i believe him because the mirror don't lie,Too all the beautiful plus sizes woman out their wear your swimsuits with pride and good taste,don't do the thong some things are a no no,:rolleyes: i always wear a swimsuit on vacation you might seen have me, i was the cute phat chick.:D

P.S spandex is a good thing

:):)

First of all, Congratulations on quitting smoking. That is fantastic and I know how hard that is to do. Secondly, shorts/t-shirt and tank top are good at any beach/water location. Thirdly.. sit back, relax and enjoy yourself. You deserve this cruise for the hard work you put toward quitting smoking.

If you want check out the fitness centers on the ship. Perhaps checking them out will help give you the jump start you sound like you want..

enjoy, have fun

I've been on cruise critics for years but this was the first time I've ever posted anything "personal." I should have known but I can't tell ya all how much I've appreciated ya all replies to this post. You guys have given me the encouragement and confident to wear a swim suit . . . no matter how embarrased I feel about how big I am. I can't thank you enough . . . Tammy

That's great!

And btw, if you need some more support, simply invite us along on your cruise as your guests, and we'll make sure you feel so fab in your swimsuit you'll think Sports Illustrated will be calling you shortly for a cover shoot! :D

Seriously, I'm thrilled you've decided to fully enjoy your cruise and the activities you love. No one cares how you look in your swimsuit, they're too busy worrying about themselves!

Actually, I think I've probably gone on more cruises without a suit than with! Has nothing to do with how I look and everything to do with what I like. Sunning, pool, beach, hot tub: not so much. I'd rather sit on my balcony or a quiet, shady spot and read.

If there are excursions that I've pre-planned that require a suit (kayaking, etc.) then, sure. Otherwise, no.

Okay, I did it . . . ordered a really pretty blue and black floral swim dress and a cute black knee length cover up.

Wonderful! Do you have a link with a picture? From where did you order them? Would love to see them.

If you haven't checked this site out, I recommend: http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/

I ordered 2 suits from them and they are super cute. Congrats on quitting smoking and have a great cruise. :)

So glad you decided to get a new suit! Like someone said, we all come in different shapes and sizes and what looks good to some, looks awful to others so it really doesn't matter what you look like, right?? :)

I went from a size 3 to a size 20 and I still wear bathing suits and short dresses and whatever I want. Style is style and it doesn't matter what size it is.

I hope you have a great time!!

I vote NO!

Remember that you're not going to be the only person onboard who's unhappy with her weight. If you're self-conscious, forbid your husband to bring the camera ashore, but WEAR THAT SWIMSUIT, and HAVE FUN! Why sacrafice your vacation enjoyment? You'll never see the majority of the people onboard again anyway.

Tee Hee! I don't have a husband but I do have two "former" husbands . . . :p

Jane, wow, love the over sized safari shirt, thank you very much for the link, been looking for something for Mykonos, that i could wear over bathing suit & into beach bars.

Archived