Info about what's open on Thanksgiving Day

Are you sure it's the Hector Museum you're visiting on PEI? As far as I know, the Hector Museum is in Pictou, Nova Scotia, that would be about an hour's drive from Charlottetown to the ferry then a 1.25 hour ferry ride to Caribou then on to Pictou. If you really want to see the museum I guess you can do it from Charlottetown but I'm not sure why as you're going to be about 5 or 6 hours in your car & on the ferry for a very small museum. Not sure if it's open Thanksgiving Day, you could try emailing the town here info at townofpictou dot ca, they should be able to tell you.

Map route Charlottetown to Pictou http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Charlottetown,+Prince+Edward+Island&daddr=Pictou,+Nova+Scotia&geocode=FaevwQIdrtw8_CnFg3_U3VJeSzEnm1GfuHdXWg%3B&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=46.10714,-62.935475&sspn=0.459867,0.877533&ie=UTF8&z=9

Business offices as well as most retail stores will be closed Thanksgiving Day. That time of year, many seasonal tourist attractions have already closed. Some specialty and gift shops might be open, especially those around the cruise port. Some excursions may be adjusted slightly, depending upon what is still open that time of year.

Also, the 10th is Sunday, Thanksgiving is actually Monday the 11th. Most retail stores will be open on Sunday.

I will vouch for the previous poster's suggestion that most stores that normally open on Sundays will be open on Thanksgiving Sunday (Oct. 10). The big holiday when schools, government offices, most businesses and many stores will be closed is the next day, Thanksgiving Monday (Oct 11).

Are you sure it's the Hector Museum you're visiting on PEI? As far as I know, the Hector Museum is in Pictou, Nova Scotia, that would be about an hour's drive from Charlottetown to the ferry then a 1.25 hour ferry ride to Caribou then on to Pictou. If you really want to see the museum I guess you can do it from Charlottetown but I'm not sure why as you're going to be about 5 or 6 hours in your car & on the ferry for a very small museum. Not sure if it's open Thanksgiving Day, you could try emailing the town here info at townofpictou dot ca, they should be able to tell you.

Map route Charlottetown to Pictou http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Charlottetown,+Prince+Edward+Island&daddr=Pictou,+Nova+Scotia&geocode=FaevwQIdrtw8_CnFg3_U3VJeSzEnm1GfuHdXWg%3B&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=46.10714,-62.935475&sspn=0.459867,0.877533&ie=UTF8&z=9

Business offices as well as most retail stores will be closed Thanksgiving Day. That time of year, many seasonal tourist attractions have already closed. Some specialty and gift shops might be open, especially those around the cruise port. Some excursions may be adjusted slightly, depending upon what is still open that time of year.

Also, the 10th is Sunday, Thanksgiving is actually Monday the 11th. Most retail stores will be open on Sunday.

You are so right about where we will be when we go to the museum. We are doing the land tour with Vantage travel and this is what is posted for Day 5 which hits on October 11th.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Early this morning, you’ll transfer by motorcoach from your hotel to Caribou, Nova Scotia, where you’ll visit the Hector Heritage Quay Museum that traces the voyage of the 18th-century ship Hector from Loch Broom, Scotland to Pictou. Then, take a one-hour ferry ride to Wood Island before transferring to your hotel via motorcoach. Arriving in Charlottetown, you’ll check into your hotel — actually a group of restored inns from the 1880s. The rest of your evening is at leisure.

I have a feeling maybe they'll have to substitute something else. Do Canadians have Thanksgiving dinners like we do in the States?

Oh, okay, I assumed you were cruising, which I guess would be a fair assumption since this is a cruise forum LOL.

Yes, we celebrate Thanksgiving the same way, too much turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie. Candied yams and football not so much :p

Actually that is what is posted on our itinerary by Vantage Travel so I guess they will have to plan something different. They have a different deal for the trip in 2011 and maybe they will do that for this last 2010 trip. Thanks for all the valuable information! Even though this is a land tour I always check out cruise critic to gain valuable information about places we'll be stopping. I have used this site so many times for large ship cruises and river cruises but there are many other ways to use it, also...Valerie :)

Yes, we celebrate Thanksgiving the same way, too much turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie. Candied yams and football not so much :p

No candied yams, but but two cross-division football games on Thanksgiving: Calgary at Montreal, then BC at Winnipeg. The first should be good (they're in 1st place in their respective divisions at the moment). The second perhaps not so much (they're both in last place.):rolleyes:

Archived